This story is from the news.com.au network
The war crimes trial of Slobodan Milosevic was halted overnight due to the former Yugoslav leader's health problems, which have already caused the trial to be suspended several times since it opened early last year.
"We do not know yet when the trial will restart," said Jim Landale, spokesman for The Hague-based International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
A statement by the tribunal overnight said due to the former leader's condition, today's session was also cancelled.
Presiding Judge Richard May gave no details about Milosevic's health problems, which have caused the 62-year-old to be absent from the trial for 50 days since it started in February last year.
However, Milosevic - who on Tuesday failed in a bid to be freed from prison to prepare his defence - is known to suffer from high blood pressure and is at risk of a heart attack.
The one-time Yugoslav president, who was ousted from power in October 2000, is on trial for more than 60 charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity for his role in the 1990s wars in Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo.
The prosecution is due to wrap up its case by the end of the year, when Milosevic will then start his defence which is expected to run until 2005.
Chicken maybe? ....
Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.
Milosevic Trial Suspended Again
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users