Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Extra-Strange Rock on Mars!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Way_Beyond

Way_Beyond

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

How has this recent find flown so low under "the radar of public scrutiny?"   This is of reasonably recent vintage - Jan 26th /06.   None of the major Space News sites have carried it!!  Turn back! - we want a better look!  We deserve a better look!!  And not just another never-to-be-resolved mystery < that's not the stuff of science.   Path looks to be pretty clear for a close-in look (especially on the right hand side.)   What is going on?  Helllo?  Wake up call for Mr. Steve Squyres!   Get on the horn - people.

Rock shows characteristic friction-induced aerodynamic smoothing (imho.)  Also notice linear striations in "soil" - a light, somewhat regular corrugation - between Mars rover and rock in question.  No good theories on dual-nature of this particular specimen.   Comment was made - "Why would someone wrap a big piece of watermelon in a towel and leave it on the beach?"    wink2.gif
I'm thinking some kind of stange skull bone!   w00t.gif     Any ideas?? Google for "two-tone +mars"  < brings it up right away.

Astronomy Pic of the Day   <  only site that carried this .....

user posted image

#2    moomooman

moomooman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:08 AM

Theres also an indian chief in their. At the bottom right in front of the rover.

#3    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. Seeing faces in semi-random or random patterns is a well-understood psychological phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Common examples include images of animals or faces in clouds, seeing the man in the moon,Face on Mars and hearing messages on records played in reverse.

Human beings are apparently "hard-wired" to identify the human face.

Edited by hazzard, 03 February 2006 - 12:37 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#4    Rykster

Rykster

Keep thy religion to thyself.

• Banned
  • 2,132 posts
  • Location:Screaming through the universe on a pale blue dot...Wheee!

• I debunk you not out of hostility, but rather in search of the truth...

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

That was addressed very well in "Broca's Brain" by one of my fav authors

It's looks for all the world like a busted milk carton to me.

Posted Image

Resistance is futile!

#5    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

• Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

Could be a harder conglomeration of whatever softer rock formed the dunes behind it.
Could also be an extremely hard meteorite that is now exposed due to dust storms and wind.

"Come down off the cross, we could use the wood." - Tom Waits

#6    Rykster

Rykster

Keep thy religion to thyself.

• Banned
  • 2,132 posts
  • Location:Screaming through the universe on a pale blue dot...Wheee!

• I debunk you not out of hostility, but rather in search of the truth...

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

I wanna go look at it!
Dammit!
We need to send humans up there.

Posted Image

Resistance is futile!

#7    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• 1,746 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

I'll volunteer!

#8    Way_Beyond

Way_Beyond

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Theres also an indian chief in their. At the bottom right in front of the rover.

I'm sorry I take it all back - it's just my eyes playing tricks on me - it's all an optical illusion.  The whole planet is an optical illusion.    It's just swamp gas reflecting off Venus.    Personally I like the busted milk carton explanation the best.  I can't imagine it's a brain - Broca's or otherwise.  Perhaps it's Broca's skull.  It would be quite an unusual skull series - surely that would merit closer inspection.  

I have to discount the watermelon hypothesis - a watermelon would have evaporated long ago.  

Surely a chondrite would break up more thoroughly - it looks pretty fresh so where's the crater this sizeable meteor(ite) would have generated?  eh Chief?  Verdict is still out and will remain out - Broca's Brain not-with-standing.  We need to go back!  Straight up!  I'm not looking for volunteers - this is a dangerous mission - one where failure is not only unacceptable but severly punished.  It's going to be a solo mission - and since I posted here first... I get to go!  Simple as that.  Snooze you lose!

Edited by Way_Beyond, 03 February 2006 - 06:03 PM.

#9    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• 1,746 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

I'm sorry I take it all back - it's just my eyes playing tricks on us - it's all an optical illusion.  The whole planet is an optical illusion.    It's just swamp gas reflecting off Venus.    Personally I like the busted milk carton explanation the best so far.  Makes the most sense.  Who would wrap a watermelon in a towel?  

Surely a chondrite would break up more thoroughly - it looks pretty fresh so where's the crater this sizeable meteor would have created?  eh Chief?  Verdict is still out and will remain out - Broca's Brain not-with-standing.  We need to go back!  Straight up!  End of discussion!

There's no reason to believe it would have broken up more thoroughly.  We have perfectly intact meteorites with perfectly fused surfaces on this planet.  We have no idea what the surface conditions were like when it struck.  The light color and fuse surface would seem to indicate a carbonaceous chondrite.  It's actual size is debatable as well.  As for a crater, again surface conditions would have played a role (mars was quite wet at one time) and erosion can erase many signs of a crater.  Below is an image of a what was determined to be a meteor out in the middle of nowhere with no sign of a crater.  I'm not saying that's what it is for sure but it can't be ruled out from that image.  Only sampling would determine for sure.

Attached Files

#10    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

Wait a minute! Upon closer inspection! It’s a cat! grin2.gif

user posted image

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#11    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• 1,746 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

LOL, A cat with a space helmet made from... a watermelon?

#12    Seand

Seand

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

That rock somehow doesent fit in with the rest of the picture....Then again it could just be a weird shaped rock.I dont think its anything very mysterious though!

Peace thumbsup.gif

Posted Image

#13    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:39 PM

I know I know but I'm going to say it anyway.  The muti colored rock almost looks as if the 2 different colors in the rock, look as though they were carved to fit together crazy. I know but what the hell  tongue.gif

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#14    BornInTheCasket

BornInTheCasket

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• Bone fragments clot to the hatchet knee-deep in the blood of the dead.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:15 AM

It is the severed head of an alien cadaver. The dark coloured portion of the cranium is the jaw with a protective armor plate around it. To the right of the jaw is an eye. Look reall hard at it. Its lieing on the back of the head, looking upwards. Sexy, isnt it?

#15    BornInTheCasket

BornInTheCasket

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• Bone fragments clot to the hatchet knee-deep in the blood of the dead.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:24 AM

Trippy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users