Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

So... How many muslims is it rebelling?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:23 AM

I've seen plenty of generalisations lately about muslims... I'm just wondering what makes it any better to generalise now than before?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#2    LISTENintheDARK

LISTENintheDARK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:42 AM

From my opinion, many Muslims are narrow-minded. I lived in a Muslim country by the way. I said many, not all. Just like I find many fundamentalist Christians (FC) to be narrow-minded. However, FCs are less likely to torch an embassy or strap a bomb vest on. A few nut job FCs shot docs at abortion clinics, but the mass of society and most Christians don't support those crazy actions.

Many Muslims come from impoverished countries and have a lack of education and access to the media to try and get a balanced view, so they believe what the fundamentalist tell them and the jump on the band wagon. They have a very our group vs. their group attitude, from my experience.

When the USS Cole was attacked, you didn't see Americans throwing bottles at the Yemen Embassy.

I have shared a good many beers with Muslim guys, they are about as Muslim as most Christians are Christian, basically just people. But when our basic beliefs are attacked, we tend to have that knee jerk reaction. If I were in Denmark, I'd be ready to kick some Muslim A%$ too. But I would take the time to cool down to think through my actions. Many Muslim country live by mob rule, and the mob does all the thinking, always. Only  individuals shed the tears when the mob stops moving.

#3    Permakid

Permakid

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:47 AM

I've seen plenty of generalisations lately about muslims... I'm just wondering what makes it any better to generalise now than before?

I was thinking the same thing.  Thanks for starting this thread.

Posted Image

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,002 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:42 AM

This is a good place to add that promoting racist or anti-Muslim sentiment is not acceptable on the forum.

We ask that members show respect for people of all religious backgrounds, and should not generalise anyone as 'terrorists' or anything similar solely based on their nationality or beliefs.

#5    Permakid

Permakid

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

One element of this situation that is getting scant attention by the media is that people in the Muslim world are speaking out against the violence.  Example:

Muslim clerics also denounced the violence Sunday, with some wading into the mobs to try to stop the attacks...

(Interior Minister Hassan) Sabei, like other Lebanese politicians and Grand Mufti Mohammed Rashid Kabbani, spiritual leader of Lebanon's Sunni Muslims, suggested that Islamic radicals had fanned the anger. Kabbani said outsiders among the protesters were trying to "distort the image of Islam."

Source:  msnbc.com

Posted Image

#6    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

i generalise when there is a bigger outcry about cartoons from muslim populations around the world, as well as their governments, than there is towards the terrorists doing their thing all over the world.

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,164 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:07 PM

It seems to me that these cartoons (which BTW, shouldn't have been published, IMO) are simply being used as an excuse by the extreme Islamic fundamentalists. I honestly don't think it's even close to the majority of Muslims who support this kind of thing.  

I can't help but wonder what the response would be (from Muslims) if various other extreme religious groups were to use the kidnapping and be-heading of western civilians and aid workers in Iraq as an excuse to riot against their embassies? Tolerance has to work both ways. Respect for people's religious beliefs has to be adopted by everyone...period.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#8    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I personally believe that the vast majority of those people protesting and insighting violence should take a long hard look at themselves and move out of the dark ages and basically get over themselves.

It was a bloody CARTOON FFS. They are so full of self-rightious, sanctamonious bible/koran thumping crap that it is beyond me why they get away with it.

*End Rant*

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#9    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

i generalise when there is a bigger outcry about cartoons from muslim populations around the world, as well as their governments, than there is towards the terrorists doing their thing all over the world.

Is it the majority though? As I see it, it is still a minority that's over reacting to the cartoons.

As for the outcry to terrorism... I see as much (if not very slightly more) of an outcry against terrorism by muslims. Tell me, bathory, how many anti-terrorism rallies have you attended?

----Seraphina

#10    Unlimited

Unlimited

Truthseeker

• Banned
  • 7,597 posts

• Give me liberty or give me death.....

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:31 PM

I personally think muslims enjoy public protest...burning flags chanting etc..it's what they do they just need any excuse to do it...today cartoons tommorow a ham sandwich? rolleyes.gif

God Bless America..

"one man with courage,makes a majority"..tj

#11    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Many Muslims come from impoverished countries and have a lack of education and access to the media to try and get a balanced view, so they believe what the fundamentalist tell them and the jump on the band wagon. They have a very our group vs. their group attitude, from my experience.

When the USS Cole was attacked, you didn't see Americans throwing bottles at the Yemen Embassy.

I agree with all of this. The majority are impoverished and every year it seems that more jump onto the fundementalist bandwagon.

As for others of you who post Christians are like this and Moslems are like that, you need to use the terms some, a few, many, and the majority.
The way you are posting now you might as well add black folks love fried chicken and doing illegal drugs or homosexuals hate God and wear black spandex.
It is the same thing.

Posted Image

#12    .AKUMA.

.AKUMA.

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

• The True Warrior Enters The Arena with all his powers
    At the Ready.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

OMG i just checked the BNP site they are taking full advantage of the protests
thats bad news

One World, One Order

The Greatest Accomplishment of the Devil, Was Convincing the world he doesn't Exist.

#13    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:36 AM

As for the outcry to terrorism... I see as much (if not very slightly more) of an outcry against terrorism by muslims. Tell me, bathory, how many anti-terrorism rallies have you attended?

none because i do not belong to the group whose religious sensibilities should be offended by suicide bombers.

Muslims offended by cartoons, mass condemnation, protests, boycotts etc
Muslims upset about extremists....silence

Islam isn't really doing a great job at shaking this stigma

#14    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

-Patton

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:00 AM

none because i do not belong to the group whose religious sensibilities should be offended by suicide bombers.

And that somehow exempts you? Why do members of such a group have to postpone their daily lives to protest?

Muslims offended by cartoons, mass condemnation, protests, boycotts etc
Muslims upset about extremists....silence

By a minority. THe majority are doing exactly what you do in response to both the extremists acting against the cartoons and the terrorists. They're disagreeing with the actions, but otherwise going about their lives.

----Seraphina

#15    Ivo

Ivo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

• "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

-Carl Sagan

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:13 AM

From my opinion, many Muslims are narrow-minded. I lived in a Muslim country by the way. I said many, not all. Just like I find many fundamentalist Christians (FC) to be narrow-minded. However, FCs are less likely to torch an embassy or strap a bomb vest on. A few nut job FCs shot docs at abortion clinics, but the mass of society and most Christians don't support those crazy actions.

I have shared a good many beers with Muslim guys, they are about as Muslim as most Christians are Christian, basically just people. But when our basic beliefs are attacked, we tend to have that knee jerk reaction. If I were in Denmark, I'd be ready to kick some Muslim A%$ too. But I would take the time to cool down to think through my actions. Many Muslim country live by mob rule, and the mob does all the thinking, always. Only  individuals shed the tears when the mob stops moving.

Good points, very well put.  It also doesn't help that the Middle East, in particular, has seen an explosion of males born over the last 30 years with as many as 30% of them unemployed.  This gives them a lot of time to sit around and be influenced by radical clerics and terrorists.  The Western powers have steam rolled this region for decades, its true, however, these same young men and women should be equally infuriated at their own leaders for living like despotic kings from oil revenues while failing to diversify their economies.  Its sad, many Arab Muslims are being screwed from both ends and can't see clearly that this is so.

As you said, poverty and lack of education is what causes a lot of this hatred and anger.  To broaden the point, I have met very few neo-nazi's in the U.S. who were very well educated and they exhibit the same reactionary behaviour.  Their were a lot of them in the area I grew up and they were all ignorant, not necessarily unintelligent, just ignorant, under educated and easily manipulated due to low self esteem.

Edited by Ivo, 07 February 2006 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users