Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How did you come to believe what you do?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

I always like hearing how people chose their path no matter their belief or non-beliefs.

So how did you come to believe what you do?

(personal experience, conviction, raised that way, etc...)

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#2    ^SolidSnake^

^SolidSnake^

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

I like to search for the truth, I ain't a non-believer or a believer I just use evidence I see to try and come up with an answer. I do believe there are stuff out there paranormal that we cannot begin to understand, and that some stuff is better off hidden. So I guess my choice is just really to know what's going on.

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man; and his number is 666." Book of Revelation Chapter 13 Verse 18

#3    AdNauseamSuiGeneris

AdNauseamSuiGeneris

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

• A man's character is his fate.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:32 AM

I think everyone will have the same answer. Life experience.

If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to
Then He is not omnipotent.
If He is able, but not willing
Then He is malevolent.
If He is both able and willing
Then whence cometh evil?
If He is neither able nor willing
Then why call Him God?
-Epicurus

#4    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

I think everyone will have the same answer. Life experience.

Not nessessarily....many people also tend to stay in the religion they are raised.

I did too for many years.

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#5    Anubi

Anubi

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:55 AM

i believe in a god , but a kind of a distance one .

but i do hope for a near hell, for so many people deserve it

#6    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:05 AM

I like to search for the truth, I ain't a non-believer or a believer I just use evidence I see to try and come up with an answer. I do believe there are stuff out there paranormal that we cannot begin to understand, and that some stuff is better off hidden. So I guess my choice is just really to know what's going on.

Just like a great show eh? "The truth is out there."  yes.gif

#7    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:07 AM

my grandmother hands down, the greatest influence. she taught me to be accepting of other faiths, and believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. of course, she was a firm believer, yet she always wanted me to keep looking til my answers were there. she could care less what religion i was, so long as I was happy. i miss her.  sad.gif

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#8    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:08 AM

i believe in a god , but a kind of a distance one .

but i do hope for a near hell, for so many people deserve it

Anubi

I'm curious, what do you mean by a distant God?

#9    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:23 AM

IMO I have allowed the mysteries and wonders of life to show me the truth of life through  living my life, I have also devoted myself to getting to know who i am naturally (not be defined  by religion or any philosphy) I started by loving myself, by seeing myself as naturally loving and trustworthy and good, this is my core foundation beleiving this has created a life that is joyous, loving, free, rules, restraints and punishmesnts rewards, little do's and little don'ts aren't nessecary for me. when i'm in error life points me in the best direction some call this Karma, I call it learning from life. i don't want to brag but i have a great life a husband that is awesome my best friend kids that are a great joy wub.gif  i love every minute of it and i really know what it means to be free.  grin2.gif Namaste Sheri

#10    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:19 AM

I was born a  Catholic, but grew up in a mixed area with people around me with different religions and I was taught to respect that, well to add I was taught to respect my elders and that included my neighbours & school teachers I dont think there was a moment where I had answered either of them back in any way, but I was taught religion and attended church a lot back then under the influence of my mother
Anyhoo...I am glad I was not brought up to believe that my faith was the only true faith and everyone else is wrong, and lucky that I was given a chance to pick and choose what  I wanted to do
So I kept my belief in God and dropped the religion....I will let my daughter do the same when she is older, as religion was never forced down my throat so I dont feel its right to force it down her throat

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#11    Claudoca

Claudoca

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

How did I start to follow my religion?

First, by admitting to myself I had a kind of spiritual sensitivity that a lot of people have, but choose to ignore. Then I started to study religions. All of them, and history and what I learned is that the world used to be a much better place before the Monotheistic, Male God religions appeared and tried to destroy the older ones. And basically, all old religions are the same: the Greek/Roman religion, the Egyptian religion, the religions of the Native American, the old Goddess worship, the african religions...and in studying them I found a group of philosophies I trully believe in and practice.

Some people like to describe themselves as Wiccan, but thatīs only a new term for the oldest religion on earth, and thatīs what Iīve followed for the last ten years, and its basic philosophy is what I try to live by, practice with my family and hope to teach my son: respect for a higher power, for nature and for others, open mindness and humbleness towards that which we do not understand.

#12    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

my grandmother hands down, the greatest influence. she taught me to be accepting of other faiths, and believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. of course, she was a firm believer, yet she always wanted me to keep looking til my answers were there. she could care less what religion i was, so long as I was happy. i miss her.  sad.gif

Glacies
Yes that was my grandma as well. She was a major influence in my life but strangely enough it wasn't until she had died that it became so. She was catholic but she kept Buddhas around the house. She was a tough cookie when i was a kid and often forced us to go to church whether we liked it or not. However shortly before she died she seemed she seem to under go a change of sorts in that way. I think she got softer in that respect.
In the end she wanted me to be whatever i wanted as long as I wasn't hurting others.

Oddly enough although we were at odds, it was a change before a sudden death and even after that was one of the greates influences in my life. I miss her too.
Thank you for sharing that

#13    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

IMO I have allowed the mysteries and wonders of life to show me the truth of life through  living my life, I have also devoted myself to getting to know who i am naturally (not be defined  by religion or any philosphy) I started by loving myself, by seeing myself as naturally loving and trustworthy and good, this is my core foundation beleiving this has created a life that is joyous, loving, free, rules, restraints and punishmesnts rewards, little do's and little don'ts aren't nessecary for me. when i'm in error life points me in the best direction some call this Karma, I call it learning from life. i don't want to brag but i have a great life a husband that is awesome my best friend kids that are a great joy wub.gif  i love every minute of it and i really know what it means to be free.  grin2.gif Namaste Sheri

Sheri
Wow what you said was put very eloquently. You wouldn't be bragging to say you think your life is great. I think our perspectives can make our lives great. one person might think something is bad and another might take like a grain of salt. I believe there is karma that some of us might not escape but i also believe there is hope to set and change the course of one's karma. The old addage about what goes around comes around comes to my mind right now. if you put good things into the world perhaps they come back as well.
I think this serves true to one's attitude towards themselves as well. it's a great thing to good for others but you also must love yourself as well. I think your attitude and remarks are very enlightning.

#14    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

I was born a  Catholic, but grew up in a mixed area with people around me with different religions and I was taught to respect that, well to add I was taught to respect my elders and that included my neighbours & school teachers I dont think there was a moment where I had answered either of them back in any way, but I was taught religion and attended church a lot back then under the influence of my mother
Anyhoo...I am glad I was not brought up to believe that my faith was the only true faith and everyone else is wrong, and lucky that I was given a chance to pick and choose what  I wanted to do
So I kept my belief in God and dropped the religion....I will let my daughter do the same when she is older, as religion was never forced down my throat so I dont feel its right to force it down her throat

Beckys mom

Such a pretty little baby by the way....i ahve two myself and am very familar with the BM phenomenum!!!!
I'm the same way with my children. They attend church only by their own choice.
I would like them to respect others and make their own choices in life.
i grew up in a mixed home as a matter of fact. My mother was Jewish and my father was catholic. But my mother was very much about choices. I remember her telling me about religion and she said, "people get home in different cars honey." I never quite understood that until long after she died. Although my father's family was a little more pressing of religion I chose my own path. I decided that faith was one of the greatest investments for myself and it was my choice to decided where to put my faith.

#15    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

How did I start to follow my religion?

First, by admitting to myself I had a kind of spiritual sensitivity that a lot of people have, but choose to ignore. Then I started to study religions. All of them, and history and what I learned is that the world used to be a much better place before the Monotheistic, Male God religions appeared and tried to destroy the older ones. And basically, all old religions are the same: the Greek/Roman religion, the Egyptian religion, the religions of the Native American, the old Goddess worship, the african religions...and in studying them I found a group of philosophies I trully believe in and practice.

Some people like to describe themselves as Wiccan, but thatīs only a new term for the oldest religion on earth, and thatīs what Iīve followed for the last ten years, and its basic philosophy is what I try to live by, practice with my family and hope to teach my son: respect for a higher power, for nature and for others, open mindness and humbleness towards that which we do not understand.

Claudoca

i don't really know very much about Wiccan practices. I know one thing, that it is very nature based from what i've read. This reminds me alot of the native american indians.
I've always enjoyed learning about other religion and philosophies as well. i think there is alot to be learned and alot of understanding which opens the door for respecting others.

I've always been quite fasinated by the Buddhist philosophy. I remember reading my first buddha quote and I thought...God this guy is something else how true how true.
I've also really like learning about Hinduism as well. I still have alot to learn but I figure I still have time to take as much in as I can.
Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users