Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nasrallah tells Bush and Rice to 'shut up'

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

The leader of Hizbullah, heading a march by hundreds of thousands of Shi'ite Muslims on Thursday, said US President George W. Bush and his secretary of state should "shut up" after they accused Syria and Iran of fueling protests over cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Sheik Hassan Nasrallah urged Muslims worldwide to continue demonstrations until there is an apology over the drawings and Europe passes laws forbidding insults to the prophet.

The head of the guerrilla group, which is backed by Iran and Syria, spoke before a mass procession of Shi'ites marking Ashura, an annual remembrance of the 680 A.D. battle in which Hussein, their saint and grandson of Muhammad, was killed by rivals, cementing the split in Islam between Shi'ites and Sunnis.

Whipping up the crowds on the most solemn day for Shi'ites worldwide, Nasrallah declared: "Defending the prophet should continue all over the world. Let Condoleezza Rice and Bush and all the tyrants shut up. We are an Islamic nation that cannot tolerate, be silent or be lax when they insult our prophet and sanctities."

"We will uphold the messenger of God not only by our voices but also by our blood," he told the crowds, estimated by organizers at about 700,000. Police officers had no final estimates but put the figure at even higher.

Speaking about the controversy for the first time Wednesday, Bush condemned the deadly rioting sparked by the cartoons and urged foreign leaders to halt the spreading violence and to protect diplomats in besieged embassies. Rice, the US secretary of state, said Iran and Syria "have gone out of their way to inflame sentiments and to use this to their own purposes. And the world ought to call them on it."

"There can be no settlement before an apology and there can be no settlement before laws are legislated by the European Parliament and the parliaments of European countries," Nasrallah said.

Islamic nations should demand "a law committing the press and the media in the West that proscribes insulting our prophet. If this matter cannot be achieved that means they (West) insist on continuing this," he added.

Nasrallah said that if the controversy touched on Jews or Israel the West would have reacted differently and quickly.

"Is the Islamic world less important that a bunch of Zionists? We cannot acquiesce to this."
Source
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, we'll stop free speech and put up laws to stop it just for you. Thanks for your concern, Mr. Nasrallah.  rolleyes.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

We are an Islamic nation that cannot tolerate, be silent or be lax when they insult our prophet and sanctities."

Excuse, I like to point out the western nations were these pictures were printed, ARE NOT Islamic, so we have no reason to follow you're stupid rules about cartoons.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#3    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

• My Father was raised a Christian, my Mother was raised a Muslim - I was raised a Free Thinker and they're both wrong!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

Talon: Can I ask what religion you affiliate yourself with, if any?

If you are a Christian, how would you feel about a cartoon of Jesus engaged in some form of child abuse? Should this be allowed in the name of free speech?

I am not saying violence is a correct response, but the fact that printing these cartoons was obviously a deliberate provocation is a no-brainer.

When you have cut down the last tree and poisoned the last river, you will know that you cannot eat money

God save us from religion!!

It's time to open your eyes and get off your knees

#4    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

If someone insults my lord and savior I would say a prayer for them and ask that God forgive them. I would not act in a violent manor unless I was violently acted upon first.

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#5    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

If someone insults my lord and savior I would say a prayer for them and ask that God forgive them. I would not act in a violent manor unless I was violently acted upon first.

Great response twpdyp...  thumbsup.gif  Me too!

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#6    Saint Macabre

Saint Macabre

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I could prove God statistically."-George Gallup

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Nasrallah said that if the controversy touched on Jews or Israel the West would have reacted differently and quickly.

"Is the Islamic world less important that a bunch of Zionists? We cannot acquiesce to this."

thumbsup.gif   oh yeah,  anti-semitism really helps their case...  rolleyes.gif

Posted Image

"I have Dalinian thought: the one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." ---Salvador Dali

#7    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

I am not saying violence is a correct response, but the fact that printing these cartoons was obviously a deliberate provocation is a no-brainer.

Kinda like sticking your head in an alligators mouth... or sticking your hand in a piranah tank... you know you're gonna get bit, but some people do it anyway.

Kinda like the feces mary "art".  Hanging Santa.

World's full of productive, pleasant people eh?  Oh yeah... they're "pioneers" and "enlightened" people and we're supposed to tolerate their "open-mindedness" and "embrace the philosophical meanings" derived from their "art".

Yes, it was drawn to produce a reaction.  For what other purpose whould it have been drawn?  Published?  Does free speech mean they HAVE to publish something, or is it their choice?

Not to say the reaction is all that great either... whoever drew them is probably having an extended orgasmic experience from the reactions.  I don't see very many innocent parties on any side of this kind of thing.

#8    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

• My Father was raised a Christian, my Mother was raised a Muslim - I was raised a Free Thinker and they're both wrong!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

Not to say the reaction is all that great either... whoever drew them is probably having an extended orgasmic experience from the reactions.  I don't see very many innocent parties on any side of this kind of thing.
LOL - you are probably right.

You guys may say a prayer for the them, but would everyone react that way? What about all the redneck yokels in the bible belt? How would they react?

When you have cut down the last tree and poisoned the last river, you will know that you cannot eat money

#9    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

thumbsup.gif   oh yeah,  anti-semitism really helps their case...  rolleyes.gif

Is 'Zionist' an anti-semitic word? I didn't think so, seeing as it does not refers to all Jews.

#10    Saint Macabre

Saint Macabre

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I could prove God statistically."-George Gallup

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Is 'Zionist' an anti-semitic word? I didn't think so, seeing as it does not refers to all Jews.

considering who it's coming from though...

Posted Image

"I have Dalinian thought: the one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." ---Salvador Dali

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,440 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:35 PM

Being a 'redneck yokel' from Tennessee I can tell you exactly how they would react. They would say something like, "Thats disgraceful!"  proceed to write scathing letters to the editor and possibly cancel their subscriptions.

#12    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

RedEyeJedi, you picked the wrong fella.
Talon is a devoted atheist, who couldn't care less for Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) thumbsup.gif.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#13    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Being a 'redneck yokel' from Tennessee I can tell you exactly how they would react. They would say something like, "Thats disgraceful!"  proceed to write scathing letters to the editor and possibly cancel their subscriptions.
You speak for the whole of Tennessee, right?

Ok - let me rephrase it.

Do you think there would there be some people in the Christian world (including outside US), who would riot and act violently, if a Muslim country, printed pictures in their newspapers that received worldwide coverage, graphically depicting the sort of images I mentioned above?

I'm sure we all know the answer to that.

Edited by RedEyeJedi, 09 February 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#14    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

RedEyeJedi, you picked the wrong fella.
Talon is a devoted atheist, who couldn't care less for Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) thumbsup.gif.

Well, it was a hypothetical question. I wasn't trying to offend him.

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,440 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

grin2.gif You got the answer from three 'redneck yokels' right here, I forgot to add. Nxt, twpdyp and I are all from the Bible belt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users