Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lip Service

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

In your opinion, at what point does a true Christian (or follower of any other religion, for that matter) cease to be a true follower? Is it when they stop attending church, or perhaps when they stop reading their holy book? Or is it perhaps something deeper and more spiritual? Is it an instant transition from follower to lip service, or a gradual decline in belief?

Furthermore, in your opinion how does God (Once again this applies to all religions, I'll use Christianity to simplify things though) view those who only pay lip service? Does He consider them better than or the same as non-believers?

Lastly, to those this applies to, at what point did you realize that you were just paying lip service to your religion? How did you react?

Posted Image

#2    el_burdokai

el_burdokai

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

Furthermore, in your opinion how does God (Once again this applies to all religions, I'll use Christianity to simplify things though) view those who only pay lip service? Does He consider them better than or the same as non-believers?

I'm lazy so I won't link the chapter of the N.T. where Jesus tells exactly about that. He says it is even worst than those who don't believe. At least in Christianism, they are sinning twice - for not believing and for being hipocrit.

#3    AnuKabal

AnuKabal

Spirit Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

• I don't know much about wear i'm from, but i know i strike fear everywhere i come

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

when the title said lip service I thought it was about something else

I shed no tear, and i hear no scream.  If i'm in your dreams then your end is near

#4    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

when the title said lip service I thought it was about something else

rolleyes.gif

Posted Image

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:48 AM

When they stop going to church and reading their holy book

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#6    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

When they stop going to church and reading their holy book

So you believe that to be Christian you have to attend church and read the Bible?

Posted Image

#7    Imaginary Friend

Imaginary Friend

DON'T HIT KIDS! No, Seriously! They have guns now.

• Banned
  • 2,381 posts

• "Because thou has rejected knowledge I also reject thee." Hosea 4:6

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

In your opinion, at what point does a true Christian (or follower of any other religion, for that matter) cease to be a true follower?

When they decide to not only follow, but presume to lead everyone else to their faith.

I think if there is a god they are well amused by our mortal insecurities by now as well as broken hearted at the history faith has made in blood.

Lastly, to those this applies to, at what point did you realize that you were just paying lip service to your religion? How did you react?

I've never paid lip service to my faith. I'm secure in who I am and I live it for me and expect and respect others to do the same.

Posted Image

"JESUS SAVES... He Passes It To Gretzky... Gretzky Shoots... He Scores!"

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:14 AM

So you believe that to be Christian you have to attend church and read the Bible?

Both IMO and you must accept christ

But christians fail to see that there are other faiths that do accept christ

#9    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:22 AM

In your opinion, at what point does a true Christian (or follower of any other religion, for that matter) cease to be a true follower?

When they no longer believe that the words of the bible and christ are true .

Posted Image

#10    Yelekiah

Yelekiah

Calcinatio des Königs

• 10,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:23 AM

I don't think that any one rule applies for everyone. Belief is something that is in your heart, and to me there is no "true Christian" (or typical one).
I don't think you have to go to church or read the Bible to be a Christian. So many say that they have God and Jesus in their hearts.

Posted Image

#11    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,411 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:24 AM

In your opinion, at what point does a true Christian (or follower of any other religion, for that matter) cease to be a true follower? Is it when they stop attending church, or perhaps when they stop reading their holy book? Or is it perhaps something deeper and more spiritual? Is it an instant transition from follower to lip service, or a gradual decline in belief?

Why would one want to be a follower of anything??? why wouldn't one be leading  through the wisdom that lives within them naturally. What is the nobleness in following the crowd and shouldn't one be real clear on what it is they are following???We can't all be the same we may have similar understandings but its not possible to be exactly the same, that is the flaw of religon it insists and demands that one size fits all but in truth that is illogical....Namaste sheri

#12    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,880 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

Only the person involved and God can answer that question.  I guess it would be different for everyone, but it is not up to me to judge when or if.  Only God has that right.  

In my opinion of course.

Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#13    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,411 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:32 AM

Only the person involved and God can answer that question.  I guess it would be different for everyone, but it is not up to me to judge when or if.  Only God has that right.  

In my opinion of course.

Regards, PA

So the bible says you can't ask questions?? there are some things you have no right to know?  You see this as a loving graceful 'god' is 'god a person to you pA Namaste sheri

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

In my opinion of course.

Regards, PA

Well if it's not up to you to judge PA how come you are so quick to judge that another faith is false? You don't know the real truth infact and I repeat INFACT NO ONE does

#15    Vehement

Vehement

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

• Who am I, you ask. Who am I not, I reply. I AM!

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:23 AM

In my opinion of course.

Regards, PA

I would have to say that god plays no part in this decision. It is up to the individual to seek and understand what he believes as the truth. If one has found within himself/herself the truth as they see fit, it is up to himself/herself to judge according to how they fit into the big picture. This person may decide whether or not god has any role in their decision depending on the degree of their falling away from a particular religious belief.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users