Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lake Monsters In General

Saru

Lake Monsters have been reported in hundreds of lakes all over the world, from the famous Loch Ness Monster to the Ogopogo, it seems ever country has their own Lake Monster legend.

The thing is, all reports of Lake Monsters are different, and that's because people are seeing different things. Most of the lakes in question are cold, and lifeless, and could not support the food needed for a large carnivorous dinosaur like creature.

Most sightings can be attributed to animals crossing the lake, logs floating in the water, boats, tricks of the light, ripples caused by an object in the water and so on. Every person that sees one of these things and can't explain what they are seeing, has seen a lake monster. This seems prevelant all over the world.

There may be a strange Lake Monster living somewhere in the world, but in most cases they are more likely to be all sorts of different things in the water, that every individual interprets differently as being the monster of the lake in question.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• Jamie

• Homer

• The_Doctor

For those who have an interest in the various lake monsters and/or would like to read about other sightings, here is a link to a website that has some excellant information;

http://www.gust.st/

They seem to concentrate on England, Finland, Norway & Ireland. Also as a heads up, especially for the members from the US, there is a mention of an upcoming In Search Of... special on European lake monsters that is due to be shown sometime in March. Since half the month is already gone, it should be scheduled pretty soon, so keep your eyes open for it (unless its already been shown, boy, would I be embarassed:-[)

They also have a companion website that focuses on cryptozoology, with many photographs and an interesting history of the search for the legendary mokele-mbembe of the African Congo.

Magikman

• 1 month later...

Its along the same idea of a UFO.  If you see something in the sky that you cant explain its aliens for sure.  I have seen a UFO, but I live right by Ohare airport.  Who knows what I saw.  I will definetly check out that site Magikman has posted.  :)  I like reading cryptozoology type stories.

Jamie

Jamie,

Here's a link to another great website where you will find hundreds of examples of cryptozoology;

http://www.mysteries-megasite.com

The master index will list all the popular subjects, just click on the link you want to search, and it will list hundreds of other web-sites related to the particular subject. It will keep you busy for weeks. :)

Another alternative is to read the FORTEAN TIMES magazine. Every issue reports on newly discovered and/or sighted animals, some within the fringe area of cryptozoology.

Magikman

Magikman

I have that web sight book marked since I read that you recommended it several weeks ago. Like you said, there is a lot there.

Homer

• 1 month later...

Here is recently-filmed video footage showing an alleged elongated sea serpent feeding off the carcase of a dead whale at Alesund, Norway. The distance between sea serpent and camara was approx. 1000 yards(10 American Football fields), so the image isn't very clear and/or recognizeable. It's apparent there's something in the water, but no one can even make a guess as to its size. This clip is almost 9 minutes long and you need a Windows Media player to view it. I'd also suggest you have atleast a 56k connection, it takes a while to load. This was shown on Norwegian TV in 1999, and have nicknamed it Hessie.

http://www.mjoesormen.no/bilder/hessievideo1999.asf

Link comes courtesy of the Fortean Times magazine.

• 1 month later...

Lake Creatures.

There are over three hundred lakes, rivers & waterways around the world which claim to have large unusual creatures living in them.  With only a handful of exceptions, all of these lakes a situated above the 33 parallel ie. in the top third of the world.  Over 80% of the descriptions are extremely similar.  The most common description is of a large creature ranging from 20-40ft in length, very darkly coloured, a humped back and a long serpentine neck with a small head.  Now to simply say 'Lake Monsters' don't exist!' is extremely arrogant.  If science has shown us anything its that nature has an incredible ability to adapt and thrive where its least expected.  And to say ‘People are mistaking birds, fish, logs, etc for large marine creatures!’ is another example of some peoples arrogance.  Thousands upon thousands of people have witnessed strange creatures in these lakes, many of them trained observers.  Take Loch Ness for instance.  ‘Why has no one caught the creature?’.  Loch Ness is 23 miles long by about a mile wide.  Its twice as deep as the North Sea.  To fill it you have to take the water from every lake in Britain.  Its been estimated that you could hide the entire population of the world three times over in the Loch.  It’s a huge place.  Sonar confirms the presence of large fast moving objects at the bottom of the lake, some 600-700ft down.  Now little people going out in boats with binoculars are highly unlikely to see anything.  You also dealing with creatures that no one knows anything about.  Nobody knows there feeding habits or their lifestyle.  Their clearly very shy animals and its pure luck if you happen to see one.  Also no reputable scientific establishment is going to invest the lots of money required to carry out a proper investigation.  The only people actively searching some of these lakes are amateurs with little or no scientific background.  Until a properly executed plan is carried out, we’ll never know what’s in these lakes.

P.S. If any extremely rich people are reading this and fancy a little adventure don’t hesitate to email me and one of two things will happen.  Either I’ll lose my career and you will lose a large amount of money or we’ll both end up in the history books!

• 2 years later...

Ask the people who believe in that publishers clearinghouse sweepstakes gig