Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

iron pillar of delhi

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

• The greatest sceptics are normally the biggest sheep. Anon

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

Standing at the center of the Quwwatul Mosque the Iron Pillar is one of Delhi's most curious structures. Dating back to 4th century A.D., the pillar bears an inscription which states that it was erected as a flagstaff in honour of the Hindu god, Vishnu, and in the memory of the Gupta King Chandragupta II (375-413). How the pillar moved to its present location remains a mystery. The pillar also highlights ancient India's achievements in metallurgy. The pillar is made of 98 per cent wrought iron and has stood 1,600 years without rusting or decomposing.
                         http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_ironpillar.htm

www.tmblive.com
If you dont know what it is, it must be art.

#2    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

The ancient Indians were famous for their watered steel, who knows, they might of had stainless steel too...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#3    Rykster

Rykster

Keep thy religion to thyself.

• Banned
  • 2,132 posts
  • Location:Screaming through the universe on a pale blue dot...Wheee!

• I debunk you not out of hostility, but rather in search of the truth...

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

What about this part of the post?
Mystery of Delhi's Iron Pillar unraveled

New Delhi, July 18: Experts at the Indian Institute of Technology have resolved the mystery behind the 1,600-year-old iron pillar in Delhi, which has never corroded despite the capital's harsh weather.

Metallurgists at Kanpur IIT have discovered that a thin layer of "misawite", a compound of iron, oxygen and hydrogen, has protected the cast iron pillar from rust.

The protective film took form within three years after erection of the pillar and has been growing ever so slowly since then. After 1,600 years, the film has grown just one-twentieth of a millimeter thick, according to R. Balasubramaniam of the IIT.

In a report published in the journal Current Science Balasubramanian says, the protective film was formed catalytically by the presence of high amounts of phosphorous in the iron—as much as one per cent against less than 0.05 per cent in today's iron.

It's an iron pillar, so what else?

The high phosphorous content is a result of the unique iron-making process practiced by ancient Indians, who reduced iron ore into steel in one step by mixing it with charcoal.

Modern blast furnaces, on the other hand, use limestone in place of charcoal yielding molten slag and pig iron that is later converted into steel. In the modern process most phosphorous is carried away by the slag.

The pillar—over seven metres high and weighing more than six tonnes—was erected by Kumara Gupta of Gupta dynasty that ruled northern India in AD 320-540.

Stating that the pillar is "a living testimony to the skill of metallurgists of ancient India", Balasubramaniam said the "kinetic scheme" that his group developed for predicting growth of the protective film may be useful for modeling long-term corrosion behaviour of containers for nuclear storage applications.

Posted Image

Resistance is futile!

#4    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

India was renowned for many items, and advancements in numerology and medicine during its golden ages (Europena dark ages). I have many pieces of watered steel form my grandmother, who lives south of Trichi. They are very beautiful.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#5    crouton

crouton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• 'This one goes to eleven....'

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

Where can I see pictures of watered steel?  I have never heard of it.  It sounds wonderful.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

Here's a sword hilt:
http://www.simonray.com/images/met-images/...%20-%20250h.jpg

The blades are prettier, I couldn't find a good picture...sorry

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#7    magik touch

magik touch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

Standing at the center of the Quwwatul Mosque the Iron Pillar is one of Delhi's most curious structures. Dating back to 4th century A.D., the pillar bears an inscription which states that it was erected as a flagstaff in honour of the Hindu god, Vishnu, and in the memory of the Gupta King Chandragupta II (375-413). How the pillar moved to its present location remains a mystery. The pillar also highlights ancient India's achievements in metallurgy. The pillar is made of 98 per cent wrought iron and has stood 1,600 years without rusting or decomposing.
                         http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_ironpillar.htm

Quite amazing. But their are always some things that just happen to withstand for abnormally long times. In actual fact, from that picture, it looks like it is already starting to decompose.

I dont know weather the facts are right too, because Vishnu is a deity from the Hinduism and a Mosque is a place of worship for Muslims, which are completly different Religions, with completely different beliefs.

#8    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

How the pillar moved to its present location remains a mystery

There you go.

erm....many people won't like your Icon...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#9    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:01 AM

user posted image

Posted Image

#10    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:06 AM

wow, that is a gorgeous blade...amazing testimony to their skills in metallurgy. incredible article. yes.gif

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#11    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,716 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:14 AM

Also they used bog iron which is far more rust resistant than the iron from hematite ore they use today. The sad part about it is bog iron is renewable and forms in the bottom of acidic standing water were you have to destroy the earth to extract hematite. But the processing of hematite is cheaper. Here in the Pine Barrens a ore bed will renew itself in 7 years.
  I have both a woodstove made of bog iron which is still perfect after 150 years in my den but my modern woodstove in my living room which is only 20 years old is starting to deteriorate.

Lapi'che

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#12    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,056 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

CHECK OUT THIS LINK damascus

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
credentials http://www.unexplain...amp;pid=2291684

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924
If one were to try and pidgin hole me I'd say I was a Jeffersonian liberal.

#13    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,056 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:36 AM

There is another pillar some where but I cannot remember where it is not as tall as the one in Delhi.

Edited by cerberusxp, 01 March 2006 - 02:41 AM.

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924

#14    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

• "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:38 AM

I saw a speck of rust laugh.gif

#15    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,056 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

And this link pillar works now

Edited by cerberusxp, 01 March 2006 - 02:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users