Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

iron pillar of delhi

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

L, methinks this is a matter of interpretation of a verse. The one you highlighted.

(L. 5.)-By him, the king,-who attained sole supreme
sovereignty in the world, acquired by his own arm and (enjoyed) for a
very long time; (and) who, having the name of Chandra, carried a
beauty of countenance like (the beauty of) the full-moon,-having in
faith fixed his mind upon (the god) Vishnu, this lofty standard of
the divine Vishnu was set up on the hill (called) Vishnupada.

Also the name I found in Wiki, is Candra, so on either wiki page this might just have been a typo. Fair enough. However I think that the interpretation given here is that the Iron Pillar is in fact the same as "this lofty standard of the divine Vishnu was set up on the hill (called) Vishnupada." However a standart can also be a kind of a flag with an emblem on it, or sometimes the emblem itself is called "the standart".

Now I see what you mean though, it could also be from Vishnupada hill. But given that this is based on the interpretation of an ancient text, even if it was carved into the pillar, I would take it with a grain of salt and go for the more funded theory, based on analysis of the metallurgy of the pillar. Interpretation of any ancient language is difficult at the best of days.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users