Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dino Colors

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Phowl

Phowl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

i wish they looked like this

user posted image
there's your pink T-Rex    thumbsup.gif user posted image

haha!

thumbsup.gif

#17    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

Many dinosaur colors are just pure speculation, but its practical that the head crests of dinos like Dilophosaurus and Crylophosaurus were brightly colored to attract mates. Maybe even the sails or Spinosaurus and Ournanosaurus were used for mating

Quite so. Also - and this is important - most reptiles and birds have color vision. Most mammals do not, so mammals often have drab coloration. Birds and reptiles, however, are extremely colorful. Since dinosaurs are closely related to both birds and reptiles, it seems reasonable to assume that many of them had color vision as well. And when you have color vision, you can use color to differentiate your species from another.

I think it's likely that dinosaurs were, on the whole, colorful creatures. Whereas they are usually depicted in drab olive green or dusty brown, they probably had numerous spots, stripes, or other patterns of brown, black, white, green, red, orange...some used to find mates, some used for cameoflauge, some used as a warning to other creatures.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Down the valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

#18    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Quite so. Also - and this is important - most reptiles and birds have color vision. Most mammals do not, so mammals often have drab coloration. Birds and reptiles, however, are extremely colorful. Since dinosaurs are closely related to both birds and reptiles, it seems reasonable to assume that many of them had color vision as well. And when you have color vision, you can use color to differentiate your species from another.

I think it's likely that dinosaurs were, on the whole, colorful creatures. Whereas they are usually depicted in drab olive green or dusty brown, they probably had numerous spots, stripes, or other patterns of brown, black, white, green, red, orange...some used to find mates, some used for cameoflauge, some used as a warning to other creatures.

-Pilgrim

also, aren't the sail's thought to have been a way to keep them cool? as the sail 'bones' are hollow, allowing blood to circulate therefore cooling them down.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#19    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

also, aren't the sail's thought to have been a way to keep them cool? as the sail 'bones' are hollow, allowing blood to circulate therefore cooling them down.

That is the prevailing theory, although not the only one. However, a sail can serve more than one function. It could help regulate body temperature AND have bright markings to attract mates.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#20    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

That is the prevailing theory, although not the only one. However, a sail can serve more than one function. It could help regulate body temperature AND have bright markings to attract mates.

-Pilgrim

yeah, s'why I said "also" at the beginning of my post, as to carry it on and name another feature they could have been used for.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#21    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:17 AM

Sails were probably also used for mating, if indeed the dinosaurs were "dino-blooded".

Pilgrim, the only problem I have with Warning stripes is that no dinosaur is venemous or such..."Warning Colors" would act more like a dinner bell for large theropods.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#22    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

Sails were probably also used for mating, if indeed the dinosaurs were "dino-blooded".

Pilgrim, the only problem I have with Warning stripes is that no dinosaur is venemous or such..."Warning Colors" would act more like a dinner bell for large theropods.

No dinosaur is known to have been venomous. Given the incomplete nature of the fossil record, that cannot be assumed to be absolute. At any rate, I was speaking hypothetically.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#23    frogfish

frogfish