Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vegaterians

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
796 replies to this topic

#16    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,737 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:47 AM

Of course, one of the lives you could save or at least prolong is your own. For vegetarianism should be about more than not eating; it's also about smart eating. You needn't be a born-again foodist to think this. The American Dietetic Association, a pretty centrist group, has proclaimed that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

One of the biggest fears meat-eaters have is that vegetarian food does not contain all the necessary nutrients for healthy living. The meat industry is big and powerful -- The fact is, vegetarians on average eat better than nonvegetarians. They consume more vitamin A, C, E, thiamine and riboflavin, magnesium, folate, and carotenoids such as beta-carotene. The typical vegetarian eats about 2 to 3 times as much fiber as the nonvegetarian. The health dividends paid by these nutrients have been thoroughly studied. Most research suggests that dietary antioxidants found in foods, such as carotenoids and vitamins C and E, are associated with a reduced risk of cancer and heart disease. Folate consumption may reduce blood levels of homocysteine, which some important studies have linked to heart disease risk. And while a key study showed earlier this year that fiber does not protect against colon cancer, researchers still believe it works to lower "bad," low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Just as important is what is missing from the vegetarian's plate: the meatless diet has less saturated fat, less cholesterol, and fewer calories. Vegetarians have largely escaped the American epidemic of obesity, and they have much lower rates of Type 2 diabetes.

The central idea of vegetarianism -- that there is a kinship of all nature -- stretches back 2,500 years to the Greek philosopher Pythagoras. But Cowherd was in the right place at the right time to make it into a popular movement.

Salford's links with vegetarianism go back to 1809 when the Reverend William Cowherd established the Bible Christian Church as a breakaway from the Swedenborgian New Church in King Street, his congregation had to take a vow not to eat meat. Chapels were also established in Manchester at Ancoats and Hulme.

After all in the optimum organic living conditons it is the vegitation that grows the animals most animals are vegetarian...

#17    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:53 AM

Again, a mixed diet is the best. Sadly, not many eat a mixed diet...its all extreme.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#18    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:56 AM

Again, a mixed diet is the best. Sadly, not many eat a mixed diet...its all extreme.

i admit i'm all about the extremes there, can you say the wendys grand slam combo? that's one pound of beef per burger! two of those, and youre ready to face the day! though as frogfish stated, a mixed proper diet would be the best for everyone...still, i do love me a grand slam... hmm.gif

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#19    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

personally i couldnt live without steak

but is there any info to suggest vegaterians are more healthy or live longer ?

seems if they lived longer the news would be all over it

does anyone here stick to that diet ?

I have been a steak lover all my life. Just recently I have changed my diet and I have to admit I feel more energetic already. I suppose we'll see over time but thus its been great actually. I still eat fish though.  Actually believe it or not my kids love sushi and I think I would have to pry them away from it....strange.

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#20    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,737 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

I have been a steak lover all my life. Just recently I have changed my diet and I have to admit I feel more energetic already. I suppose we'll see over time but thus its been great actually. I still eat fish though.  Actually believe it or not my kids love sushi and I think I would have to pry them away from it....strange.

Star this is the first time in human history tha tchildren will be alive in a time where veganism is excepted, many children are choosing naturally to go vegan, my son inspired us, and I was a vegan as a child I was forced to eat meat by ignorant parents.....

#21    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:27 AM

"For vegetarianism should be about more than not eating; it's also about smart eating"

thumbsup.gif it has to be about what you do eat.

a balanced vegan diet of fruits, nuts, plants, grains contains everything the human body requires.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#22    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

• "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:29 AM

Why do we eat meat then?

#23    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:45 AM

Star this is the first time in human history tha tchildren will be alive in a time where veganism is excepted, many children are choosing naturally to go vegan, my son inspired us, and I was a vegan as a child I was forced to eat meat by ignorant parents.....

You know to be quite honest my children don't particulary like meat. I always noticed that at dinner time they go right for the mashed potatoes and corn or broccoli. I never make them get meat, I just figure if they want the potatoes and broccoli than go for it. Its always mostly been my fiancee and I eating the meat. except for the fish they love that.

I need to get a book to read about this. I really think my family will fair just fine without the meat. My fiancee's sister is a vegan and owns her own natural herb shop. She hasn't gotten a cold in 6 years.  blink.gif I'm venturing over to the other side slowly but surely. I'm very small and always thought I need to meat to keep weight on but in the meantime I have high colestoral and pulmonary problems. I tend to think a change in diet will make all the difference.  thumbsup.gif

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#24    Mostar

Mostar

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:05 AM

There is nothing better than hunting down prey and ripping its carcass open while roaring your cry of dominance, feasting on its flesh. And no, vegitarians arent more healthy because you need the protine and what not in meat, i dont think there were many vegitarian homosepians.

You're All Crazy

#25    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

• "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:11 AM

There is nothing better than hunting down prey and ripping its carcass open while roaring your cry of dominance, feasting on its flesh. And no, vegitarians arent more healthy because you need the protine and what not in meat, i dont think there were many vegitarian homosepians.

laugh.gif If I hadn't already eaten a meaty dinner I could go for a deer tenderloin right now thumbsup.gif

#26    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,737 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

Moe, I guess the cave man still lives lol.... Fallacy on the protein thing excessive protien leads to all kinds of health problems kidney damage, hair loss, gout etc etc...

Arty the meat industry decided humans needed meat, it is false......Just like the dairy industry decide we needed tons of milk which will actually lead to the very problem it is said to prevent.. osteoporosus..lol

Also protien is in everything , there is not one reported case anywhere even in third world countrys of a protien deficency, Its darn near impossible to get a protien deficiency, Rice is the perfect food (brown rice) As hyper said you will get just what you need with plants fruits rice, nuts and clean  water.....

Star good for you, many people are inspired by the children i sure was, Get a Diet for a new america by Jim Robbins Excellent read and gives alot of info and clears up all the bullSh*t that circulates on the myths concerning food.....

Edited by Sheri berri, 13 March 2006 - 04:43 AM.

#27    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:49 AM

Arty the meat industry decided humans needed meat, it is false......Just like the dairy industry decide we needed tons of milk which will actually lead to the very problem it is said to prevent.. osteoporosus..lol

No, actually I decided I needed and wanted meat because I like it. Sheri, humans were eating meat long before the meat industry, why do you think there is a meat industry anyway, its because people want meat.

#28    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,737 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:02 AM

No, actually I decided I needed and wanted meat because I like it. Sheri, humans were eating meat long before the meat industry, why do you think there is a meat industry anyway, its because people want meat.

Arty why do you think you  need meat???? I bet you answer one of the five reasons if not all that most people say who know nothing on nutrtion...?And tell me what you know about the  about the meat industry Arty....  grin2.gif

#29    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:06 AM

being generalists, humans can eat just about anything.  that however does not mean that everything is optima for human nutrition!

humans are optimally "vegans" (i use quotes because there are many things considered vegan that are NOT good at all for you). thumbsup.gif

just remeber the length of time it takes for meat to pass through your system.  Your bowl movements should be fast and clean.  If your sitting on the toilet, needing TP, not going a couple times a day, then your digestive system is failing and it is failing because of what you are (and are not) eating.  Humans have an intestinal length suited to the breakdown of plants, not meats.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#30    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:17 AM

Arty why do you think you  need meat???? I bet you answer one of the five reasons if not all that most people say who know nothing on nutrtion...?And tell me what you know about the  about the meat industry Arty....  grin2.gif

Sheri, our bodies are perfectly capable of handling meat, they can break it down very well. We've been doing it since the first rabbit was spotted millenia ago, guaranteed. Sure some meat is fattier than others so then don't eat that type very often. Moderation is key. Although my great grandfather ate bacon, sausage, and eggs pratically everyday of his life and lived to be 92.
The meat industry wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market for it. They don't have to use clever advertising to get me to eat it or most other people for that matter. Come on, seriously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users