Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Not a meteor or asteroid, but...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Druss

Druss

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

• My tongue is firmly in my cheek

Posted 07 April 2002 - 09:28 PM

Of Course!

;D ;D

#17    dalia

dalia

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

• Purrrrr-fect Mystery

Posted 08 April 2002 - 01:56 AM

I love you guys!  :s7  You all have such a sense of humor.

Magikman doesn't have to worry about tempting fate...he's got his own private spell-maker to protect him.  Or maybe that's spell-checker...better be careful, Magikman.  :s5

Well, irresponsible or not...Nasa should try to keep the debris to a mimimum. Those UFO's are having a difficult time dodging out there. And we might miss seeing the planet Niribu while we're ducking space debris.

Do the pyramid-shaped tin hats come in small? Aluminum might be better, though. It'll keep the secret government agents out of our thoughts, eh?

Keep the humor, y'all!  ;D

Dalia :sh

Purrr-fectly happy

#18    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 09 April 2002 - 06:42 AM

LB,

Its hard to say what provisions they make for all possible scenario's. I'm not a rocket scientist (no, really?) or builder, so I am unaware of the safety measures built into the rocket. They could have had a self-destruct mechanism, but the article states loss of control at the last stage separation. Did that mean it suffered a total system failure, electrical, guidance, etc? Its very possible, thus rendering any safety measure inoperative. The fact that the last stage is still attached to the satellite and the unintentional low orbit may have ruled out any attempted 'recovery'. NASA has successfully captured errant satellites before, CLICK HERE so they can't be thought of as totally irresponsible. Which brings up your analogy, which doesn't really apply here. Your car may break down, but you still maintain control over it to a certain extent. Its not going anywhere, and you can warn any approaching vehicle away. Try this scenario instead, you park your brand new car on the downhill side of Pikes Peak (elev. 14,000 feet). You get out of your car and walk to the observation platform. Suddenly, the parking brake fails, and your car begins its journey down the mountain. Have you made provisions for that? What control do you have now? Does that make you irresponsible for whatever may occur at the end of its destination? The similarities are reasonably comparable, don't you agree?

Magikman  :sg

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users