Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thousands told to evacuate as US East Coast girds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:59 PM

KITTY HAWK, United States (AFP) - Authorities ordered thousands of people to evacuate their homes and ordered warships out to sea as Hurricane Isabel bore down on the the US East Coast.

The hurricane weakened slightly but was still packing winds of 170 kilometers (105 miles) an hour as it came out of the Atlantic.

With experts predicting the storm would hit land on Thursday, thousands of home and store owners along the coast boarded up their windows and rushed to buy extra supplies of emergency food, batteries and first aid kits.

Immediate predictions were for the storm to make land around North Carolina and then sweep up the East Coast.

Authorities ordered people in Dare county in North Carolina to leave their homes from midday (1600 GMT).

The community on the low lying island chain has about 23,000 permanent residents but the population swells to 150,000 in the summer peak season. Many homes are precariously perched on stilts.

Yahoo News

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#2    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:03 PM

Hi Althalus, I'm on the east coast and yes we are getting ready for the perfect storm. I'll be boarding up my windows tomorrow if this thing continues to look bad . I don't like this stuff, Tina and I built our house and barn ourselves and it's not just a property to us it's an extension of our being. We would be tore up if it becomes damaged, I'm getting too old to rebuild or repair major damage. I can take care of minor stuff but not large things like a roof or such, too old.

#3    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:37 PM

J6p, as I said to Nancy the other day, you have my complete sympathy and best wishes.

We rarely ever get stuff like that over here in blighty, so it's hard to imagine what you're going through.

Hope everything stays put, and you come through unscathed.

Stay safe.

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#4    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:31 PM

Thank you cufflink your kind words and thoughts are appreciated.

#5    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:45 AM

I'm saying prayers for all of you on the east coast..  Do take care J6 I will send some extra good will to your good wife and yourself to help with the house .
  Take care all of you , you to Homer keep low and look after the familly  original.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users