Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DNA shaped nebula

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

my friend just tolled me about this it looks crazy w00t.gif

Magnetic forces at the center of the galaxy have twisted a nebula into the shape of DNA, a new study reveals.

The double helix shape is commonly seen inside living organisms, but this is the first time it has been observed in the cosmos.

"Nobody has ever seen anything like that before in the cosmic realm," said the study's lead author, Mark Morris of the University of California at Los Angeles. "Most nebulae are either spiral galaxies full of stars or formless amorphous conglomerations of dust and gas space weather. What we see indicates a high degree of order."

sorc http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11841243/

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#2    Solofront

Solofront

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

Must rotate on more than one axis then, for it to be elongated like that, yet still have that spiral shape. Wickedly cool though!

CHAOTIC COLLISION

A Few Features We Have:
Video Blogs
Free Advertising
Full Length Anime Episodes
Game Reviews
Game Of The Month

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

It could of been warped by a nearby star.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:18 AM

It could of been warped by a nearby star.

Actually this nebula is just 300 light years from the huge black hole that lurks at the centre of the galaxy. It is almost certainly the black hole's magnetic field that is producing this effect.

user posted image

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 16 March 2006 - 03:20 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:28 AM

That is awefully purdy, regardless of its cause.

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#6    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:46 AM

my friend just tolled me about this it looks crazy w00t.gif
Magnetic forces at the center of the galaxy have twisted a nebula into the shape of DNA, a new study reveals.

The double helix shape is commonly seen inside living organisms, but this is the first time it has been observed in the cosmos.

"Nobody has ever seen anything like that before in the cosmic realm," said the study's lead author, Mark Morris of the University of California at Los Angeles. "Most nebulae are either spiral galaxies full of stars or formless amorphous conglomerations of dust and gas space weather. What we see indicates a high degree of order."

sorc http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11841243/

You've might have seen these nebulae but I wanted to share them. Some of them look like people, its pretty cool.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula_collection/+1

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#7    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:32 AM

You've might have seen these nebulae but I wanted to share them. Some of them look like people, its pretty cool.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula_collection/+1

ya i always thought that i could see a dragons head in that one pic of a nebula called the pillars of creation yes.gif

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#8    stargazer123

stargazer123

Psychic Spy

• 1,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

ya i always thought that i could see a dragons head in that one pic of a nebula called the pillars of creation yes.gif

It kind of does and the little wing tip too.  yes.gif

"I am an arms dealer fitting you with weapons in the form of words and don't really care, which side wins as long as the room keeps singing that's just the business I'm in.This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race" Fall Out Boys
"Holes in our spirit causin' tears and fears One-sided stories for years and years and years I'm inferior? Whose inferior? Yeah, we need to check the interior Of the system, who cares about only one culture And that is why We gotta take the power back" Rage against the Machine

#9    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Looks amazing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users