Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ethical Eating

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#31    Firien

Firien

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

• To know, to dare, to will, to keep silent....

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:00 AM

yes that might work if they dont jump over it or tear it down.

Posted Image

#32    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:09 AM

It doesn't have nutritive value Joc...In my case it goes against my philosphy since I eat for health and nutrion

joc, you are correct that high fructose corn syrup is worse than natural sugars, BUT, and this is the big reason for why I don't use it, it is nutritionally deficient.

Maple Syrup has about the same 50 cal./tbsp.as white cane sugar, but also contains significant amounts of potassium (35 mg./tbsp.), calcium (21 mg./tbsp.), small amounts of iron and phosphorus, and trace amounts of B-vitamins. Its sodium content is a low 2 mg./tbsp.

Source

I actually prefer the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables.  But when I eat pancakes...maple syrup or I don't eat 'em!  And, sometimes when I am just tired and lathargic and I really have things I need to get done....I will ingest a couple of tablespoons of either maple syrup or organic unfiltered honey....it's like jet fuel!

Edited by joc, 19 March 2006 - 02:11 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#33    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:06 AM

Maple Syrup has about the same 50 cal./tbsp.as white cane sugar, but also contains significant amounts of potassium (35 mg./tbsp.), calcium (21 mg./tbsp.), small amounts of iron and phosphorus, and trace amounts of B-vitamins. Its sodium content is a low 2 mg./tbsp.

Source

I actually prefer the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables.  But when I eat pancakes...maple syrup or I don't eat 'em!  And, sometimes when I am just tired and lathargic and I really have things I need to get done....I will ingest a couple of tablespoons of either maple syrup or organic unfiltered honey....it's like jet fuel!

Joc, I just excersise, get plenty of rest to begin with. but whatever works for you grin2.gif

#34    joc

joc

• 12,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:26 AM

Joc, I just excersise, get plenty of rest to begin with. but whatever works for you grin2.gif

Ah, the luxury of 'plenty of rest'.  I envy that.   I have gotten lazy since a little horsey accident but am beginning to get back into the habit of walking every morning.  I had been walking about 4 miles every morning....and stretching...don't forget the stretching. original.gif

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#35    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:51 AM

Ah, the luxury of 'plenty of rest'.  I envy that.   I have gotten lazy since a little horsey accident but am beginning to get back into the habit of walking every morning.  I had been walking about 4 miles every morning....and stretching...don't forget the stretching. original.gif

Yoga friend yoga everyday no injurys , its the art of non violence to the body lol, I'm glad you are doing better grin2.gif

I have to be fresh i home school my son,( hubby affords me the luxury to be rested...)

#36    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

No its not nature to eat meat as a human its conditioning of course you can choose to do that...We are omnivores which means the ability to do both..

It's your choice to eat veggies. Just as it's my choice to eat both meat and veggies. You could just eat meat and live on pills to make up for the veggies. Right? wink2.gif

Also the health of the United States is worse than any developing country ironically, so far the body hasn't evolved to handle the amount of animal fats , we are the forerunners in obesity and heart diseease,cancers, etc etc....You become what you eat....

Amazing how such obesity levels are in the last century. I wonder what the hell humans did for the other millions of years? wink2.gif It's how much you eat.

I can see that you get your education on the six o'clock news, by the way its biased they tell you what they want you to think its not a thinking mans way to aquire info, its designed to sell and thats it.....

Interesting...and I suppose your sites and quotes are not bias towards meat? wink2.gif laugh.gif I eat meat and veggies and... I'm in great health. Guess meat isn't so evil after all.

Ted Turner owns a network need I say more??????People starving is a not a myth.......the top soil being scarce is not a myth, the waste going into the water and the air is not a myth, the hole in the ozone layer is not  a myth, the amount of pesticides that are used and have to be increased becasue bugs become immune not a myth, and causings cancers antibiotics being unable to work any more not a myth, but of course this is only my opinion..

People are starving because of corruptions and wars not because there isn't enough food in the world.

Soil gets wore out from planting crops on it over and over. That is fact. Even so, it's the land owned. Why should you be telling a private land ownered that they can't do what they want on their land?

The ozone is being threatened because I eat beef?  rolleyes.gif

Pesticides and bugs becoming immune... what does that have to do with meat? Sounds like more of a plant problem. As you don't use pesticides on meat.

Oh I also know what goes on in a slaughterhouse i used to be married to someone that also worked in one for a short time and a few of our freinds they quit and became vegetarians, i DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY You wouldn't heart the journey of those that care when you don't or can't or choose not too or whatever denial maybe in your case.IMO.  its our health dude and future...I've always been amazed by that how some critizice those that err on the side of concern and compassion...hmmmmm interesting logic...

If they couldn't handle death, that's them. Not everybody can. Curious though, if meat was outlawed tomarrow... what would you do will the millions and millions of animals left around? Over population of areas and/or the millions of jobs that are directly in the meat?

As I said, I'm in great health and I eat meat. Humans have lasted millions of years on eating meat... what makes you so sure that meat is the problem then? wink2.gif

QUOTE(hyperactive @ Mar 18 2006, 06:15 PM) View Post

the attitude of "if i don't, somebody else will" is the way of stagnation!  Nothing would ever improve now, would it?

Reality rather then hope is a better way to look at it. If it's cheaper, more people will buy it... that's reality. yes.gif

QUOTE(hyperactive @ Mar 18 2006, 06:15 PM) View Post

I will agree with you we ARE a part of the ecosystem.  Thus, it is time we as a species started acting like we are again rather than abusing the system such as through our agricultural practices.  thumbsup.gif

That is just part of the circle of life though. Taking other species and eating them to go on.

Edited by __Kratos__, 19 March 2006 - 09:05 AM.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#37    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

kratos, did you just ug-ug for me?  laugh.gif

humans have developed the ability to examine our dietary needs and optimize them.  while part of the eco-system, we are also able to think about how we act within it.  It is no longer just a "ug me mighty big hunter kill animal and eat" reality.  thumbsup.gif

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#38    joc

joc

• 12,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

It is no longer just a "ug me mighty big hunter kill animal and eat" reality.

It is more of an 'ug...me like smell of roasting meat...ug...killit and grillit...ug...meat taste good...yum..ug

Or for some it is: ug...me sensible, feminized, pc human...ug....me no eat meat...animals are our friends...ug....must show respect for animal life...no eaty them...ug...poor wabbit...mean ole hunter...why can't him just eat cawwots?...ug

The truth of the matter is that eating meat is good for you.  Over indulgence in red meat however does have health related consequences.  Gout in men among other things.
Especially if you enjoy ingesting red wine with your red meat.  

ug....me likenen roasted cow on grill...mmmmmm

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#39    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

your funny joc, at times.

I would not say animals are our friends.  I have never said people are not capable of eating meat either.  I have stated that our optimal diet is free of animal and animal products.  In simple terms, plants give you the "most bang for the buck" while also avoiding the negative effects caused by animal products.  My personal stance, while I do not consume any animal products, is one of if you do eat animal, eat free range "organic", eat minimal amounts, choose turkey and saltwater fish, avoid beef chicken lobster pork, definitely eliminate all dairy, eliminate sugar, in making choices choose the most nutrient rich options, maintain an alkalyne balance, eat raw whole foods as much as possible, etc.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#40    joc

joc

• 12,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

ug...please, I would like...a double meat double cheese with extra mayo...can you biggy size the fries please...and a coke...and a malted milk shake...ug

There are lots of choices out there.  The better one's choices, the better one's health.  No argument here about that!

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#41    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

kratos, did you just ug-ug for me?  laugh.gif

humans have developed the ability to examine our dietary needs and optimize them.  while part of the eco-system, we are also able to think about how we act within it.  It is no longer just a "ug me mighty big hunter kill animal and eat" reality.  thumbsup.gif

Maybe? blink.gif

I live in an area where hunting is quite common. Meat feeds familys around here and the hunters that go for the rack on the buck now even donate the meat to charities that give it to familys in need.

So because past humans for millions of years ate meat, including your ancestors, we should just switch now at the top of the food chain? It's how much meat you eat that gives you the bad effects not the common steak or tuna can.

your funny joc, at times.

I would not say animals are our friends.  I have never said people are not capable of eating meat either.  I have stated that our optimal diet is free of animal and animal products.  In simple terms, plants give you the "most bang for the buck" while also avoiding the negative effects caused by animal products.  My personal stance, while I do not consume any animal products, is one of if you do eat animal, eat free range "organic", eat minimal amounts, choose turkey and saltwater fish, avoid beef chicken lobster pork, definitely eliminate all dairy, eliminate sugar, in making choices choose the most nutrient rich options, maintain an alkalyne balance, eat raw whole foods as much as possible, etc.

There is more to eating then "more bang for the buck" there is also enjoying the meal. I know my breakfest won't have been the same without the eggs, sausage, butter, cheese, milk and yogurt. blink.gif

Edited by __Kratos__, 19 March 2006 - 08:00 PM.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#42    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

Kratos its cyrstal clear you do not know much about the eco-system or the ethics of what is good for one is good for all...
YOU CHOOSE TO EAT MEAT, you do not NEED to eat meat abit of a difference there...

The UN is such a reputable source of info you should listen to them ha ha ha ha ha ha LOL....

everytime you put a steak in your mouth you support animal cruelty...
Everyday one doesn't eat  meat it makes 10,000 of pounds of grain available for more to be one fed,and it goes from there the domino effect idea.....What  do you do again!!!!!!

I will eat extra meat just for you and all vegetarians. Its okay. More meat for me. yes.gif

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#43    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,406 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

As far as I'm concerned, ethical eating is eating what's good for me. As Kratos pointed out, the world isn't going to end because people eat beef.

Sherri, people do actually need to eat meat. It is the only way that you can get the required intake of certain vitmins and minerals, which you need to survive. The only way that you could match the amount of these minerals that are found in meat, would be to eat a very large plate of green vegetables and fruit. As for eating meat being unethical, you could also say that eating plants is unethical. You are still killing and eating a living thing.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#44    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

Humans eat both...they were designed no more carnivore than herbivore...and vice versa.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#45    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,406 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:47 AM

My point exactly frogfish happy.gif Amnd it's the balance of the meat and veg that keeps us healthy happy.gif

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users