Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exploring the science behind Dr Who

UM-Bot

news icon rTo fans of Doctor Who, which returns to BBC1 next month, the good doctor couldn't possibly exist without his Tardis. After all, time travel makes the programme tick. But isn't Doctor Who stretching reality a bit too far? What about all those futuristic baddies and technology?A close parallel between real science and fiction has remained with the programme for more than 40 years - ever since the first episode went out on November 23, 1963, the day after President John F Kennedy was shot.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Telegraph

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• GreyWeather

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Robert1

Top Posters In This Topic

I was brought up on Doctor Who, (as a 40 year old I'm a Jon Pertwee man). Being able to remember 6 of the first 8 Doctors I was some what worried when the BBC said they were bringing back the series. Kids programmes of today are a world apart from those I was brought up on. I watched the first new episode starring Christopher Ecclestone with a touch of trepidation. Boy was I in for a shock. The new Doctor Who was everything I remembered and much more. None of intelligence or humour of the Doctor Who I remembered had been lost but now it was faster paced. There was a darker edge to the Doctor too. Since we last saw him his race, the Time Lords, had been wiped out, leaving him the only survivor. On top of this the BBC had spent money on special effects. The series was the best thing I had watched in years.

And then disaster! Chistopher Ecclestone was leaving the role after just one series. I watched the Christmas Special wondering how David Tennant would measure up to his illustrious predecessors. I needn't have worried, his was brilliant. The BBC has announced that, even before the second series is shown, that they are to make a third. David Tennent is to continue as the Doctor and, despite all the rumours in the British press, Billie Piper is to continue as Rose Tyler.

Excellent!!! :tu:

tbh, this docter who series is really lame compared to a few others before it. and with billie piper in it who really cannot act makes it worse.

also seems extremely childish to me aswell =\

but thats just my opinion.

I like Dr. Who, I think it's a great show. But after reading the article I doubt that the

science of the show will ever be possible in any practicle way. I prefer to watch these

shows for their entertainment qualities than their scientific possibilities.

• 1 month later...

Waspie_Dwarf, how can you say that.

I live in Australia, and we have only had the 1st series. It was on last year, thanks to ABC (which here is a Government Funded, like the BBC is) and we have yet to see the Xmas invitation, or the second season.