Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What the huha?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    cody the thinker

cody the thinker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• I am the wisest man in the word for I know I know nothing.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:36 AM

Ok to some of you this may sound lame or crazy,but if we see phases of the moon such as a cresent moon what is casting the shadow to block out the rest? Fill me i please  hmm.gif

#2    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:39 AM

The earth itself. it's us getting between the sun and moon. that was fun! next! lol laugh.gif

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#3    cody the thinker

cody the thinker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• I am the wisest man in the word for I know I know nothing.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

OOOOO I see now  grin2.gif  Thanks

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,934 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

The earth itself. it's us getting between the sun and moon. that was fun! next! lol laugh.gif

Fun it may have been, it is also 100% wrong!

The reason you can't see the whole of the moon is simply the part that you can't see is having it's night time. The sun isn't shining there so no light to be reflected back to the earth.

Shine a torch on to a ball. The torch represents the sun, the ball represents the moon and you represent an observer on earth. Only half the ball will be illuminated. Now move the torch to a different position. The "phase" of the ball will change as you move the torch, this is what is happening with the moon.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Ok to some of you this may sound lame or crazy,but if we see phases of the moon such as a cresent moon what is casting the shadow to block out the rest? Fill me i please  hmm.gif

We do not see the remainder of the moon when it is in phases because no light is shining on the dark part.  The shadow, if you will, is cast by the moon itself.  It really is that simple.

Try this link:  http://jove.geol.niu.edu/faculty/stoddard/.../moonphase.html

This will give you a nice graphic representation of what we see in moon phases and why, showing you the sun's position relative to the earth and moon at any given time, and precisely why the moon appears as it does at any of those times.

#6    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

Waspie is right...It's not the Earth's Shadow. Think of the Moon between the Earth and Sun. The light is only on one side, while the other half is in darkness...That's is a new moon. As the moon orbits Earth, the more the sunlight hits the viewable part of the moon.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users