Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Beauty: skin deep versus stitch deep?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

CLOSING POST
Well, they say good things come to those who wait, great post neo, and a great debate.

At first glance, summarizing my argument seems to be quite the lengthy endeavour. oh stop rolling your eyes, i'll make it quick and to the point.

All the key points of my argument literally flow into one another, and as such i shall start with the first key concept, namely the inherent beauty and perfection within all of us. This ideal, while undoubtedly ackward to grasp, is in fact quite simple to view when you break the point itself down. To be beautiful, one must be pleasing to the senses correct? perfect, and the senses are more than merely sight, so one can be beautiful if they themselves feel it so, and exude an air of confidence and beauty.

the second point is of course how cosmetic surgery in fact eliminates this personal self confidence, by completely restructuring the persons natural beliefs of a beauty within, forcing them to adapt to another persons viewpoint of perfection.

but, from where do these superimposing viewpoints come from? of course the media and society in general, warped around the consumer market. it earns more money for everyone involved (save the person spending on the surgery) if a person submits and conforms to the unrealistic societal views of the nonexistence of natural beauty.

Therefore, the only cure for this non stop ripple effect which is bringing about the abolishment of natural beauty is to accept the natural beauty and self confidence within. because, as i've said, if a person walks like theyre naturally beautiful, talks like theyre naturally beautiful, and acts like theyre naturally beautiful, aren't they beautiful?

A BRILLIANT DEBATE! I look forward to seeing the results.

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#17    Neo2005

Neo2005

The One

• 3,523 posts

• If you die in the matrix you die here?
    The body cannot live without the mind.

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

Final Post

I'd first like to say that this was a very fun debate to be a part of and that Glacies did give a good run for my money.

I think that as a society who is trying to strive for perfection all of the time, hat we are making the right advancements to make this possible.
There are many people in the world who arn't happy with they way they look, everyone has "natural beauty" but it's not always as noticably then someone with an amazing body and gorgeous face.
Unfortunatly people only notice the birds with the brightest colours.
All beauty is inside the person, but in this day in age we have to be attracted to the shell to want to find out whats inside, and with plastic surgery this is possible.
Everyone has seen the extreme makeover shows where these people are so happy to finaly be who they think they should be that they breakdown and cry because they are so happy.The person will always remain the same inside, but the outsde will be improved.

The final goal of all plastic surgery is to make it so that the person looks as good on the outside as they feel on the inside, to improve the quality of life and to finally make it s the person is comfortable with who they are as a person.

I wish Glacies good luck, and if he beats me he better win the entire thing!

#18    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:48 AM

Thank-you to both our debaters, you did an awesome job! thumbsup.gif

I shall now hand this over to our wonderfully talented debate judges!

Edited by AztecInca, 07 May 2006 - 01:49 AM.

#19    thebarman

thebarman

• 2,589 posts

• Avatar: A visual manifestation of your digital personality within a virtual world.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

Great debate, I can pick a few holes in either side but I have to say I still found both very entertaining and a joy to read.

I don't need to point out that not a single source was posted, perhaps some examples of surgery gone wrong or some success stories of how happy people have been after surgery might have added strength to the side that used them but you both opted to go without.

Despite that though I didn't think the debate suffered all that much, Neo strayed a little from the topic with the example of surgery on those who are injured or deformed, as the topic clearly defines the parameters of the debate specifically to cosmetic surgery for superficial benefits, although I did like the crab analogy  thumbsup.gif

Countering was very good on both sides, not too little and not too much and most points were dealt with well.

Just a touch more content for both would have added that little extra, in the end I felt it was Glacies points about the descrimination in society that were the more persuasive which gave him the edge.

Glacies
Relevancy: 9
Style: 7
Countering: 9
Persuasiveness: 8
Total: 33

Neo2005
Relevancy: 7
Countering: 9
Persuasiveness: 7
Total: 30

Posted Image
Click the signature to get your own animated avatar
Are you artistic? Like designing? Come and join the Avatar Workshop!

#20    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

I think I can say that this has been the shortest amount of written material for any debate I have judged! That said; both your enthusiasm came across for the debate. But a few more Quotes when answering the opponents question. And as the Barman pointed out, a few links or factual references from published articles or reference material to that effect would have spruced it up perfectly, or a few images.

But short is sometimes sweet…  grin2.gif

However I enjoyed your debate and I look forward to your future ones…  thumbsup.gif

Glacies
Relevancy: 9
Countering: 6

Neo2005
Relevancy: 8
Style: 8
Countering: 7
Persuasiveness: 7

Well done both of you, your both winners! Sometimes it just adds up that way!

#21    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

"A report should be like a ladies skirt, short enough to grab your interest but long enough to cover everything." - My teacher. That is what both of you did, well done. A little straying at points from Neo and the lack of quoting from Glacies. All and all, covered a lot of points despite the help from outside links for souces. You both seemed to know what you were talking about from your side of the fence. Enjoyable read. original.gif

Debater 1: Glacies
Relevancy: 10
Total: 32

Debater 2: Neo2005
Relevancy: 7
Style: 9
Total: 31

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#22    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:53 AM

Glacies wins this debate with a final score of 31.6

Neo2005 finishes this debate with a final score of 30.3

Well done to both our debaters you did a fine job! thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users