Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Global Warming/Is it really to late for us?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:36 AM

I agree with frothy dog, we can quite easily ruin the earth. and unless we check ourselves, we may be well on our way to doing so.

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#32    StalingradK

StalingradK

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

• We happy few, we band of brothers/
    For he that sheds his blood with me this day/
    Shall be my brother
    -Shakespeare; Henry V

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

Exactly, we can only screw up the Earth so much that it endangers ourselves but not everything around us. Therefore the earth devours us before we devour the earth.

Get in the Puma!!!

#33    poleshift

poleshift

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

It contains roughly 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, with trace amounts of other gases.
source

The atmospheric abundance of free oxygen in later geological epochs and up to the present has been largely driven by photosynthetic organisms, roughly three quarters by phytoplankton and algae in the oceans and one quarter from terrestrial plants.
source

When sea rising, maybe the ocean will convert more CO2 to O2 by photosynthetic organisms.

#34    poleshift

poleshift

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

For the desert, we might reuse and laminate those waste rubber(tire), plastic into sheets and cover those sheets on the desert area. At least it might prevent the dust storm forming. After several years, we will see what nature will do. Maybe a surprising green land (Hope someone rent me a small desert to test this idea). At least we have free place for refuge camp.

Edited by poleshift, 12 April 2006 - 08:30 PM.

#35    Reincarnated

Reincarnated

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

Unless we act VERY soon, it will be too late.

#36    poleshift

poleshift

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

There are two simple methods to produce fresh water from the sea: "ice" and "vapour".

If you lived in north pole region,
in summer, you put sea water into plastic containers. In winter, it's pretty cold in air, -60 degree or so. Ice formed in the containers. The remaining liquid, supposed good for spa, windshiel washer, salt, etc. In this way you may produce lots ice and might save yourselves, polar bears, or even the earth, though slowly.

We may use mirrors or so, to concentrate sun light. Focus it on the sea, vapour will rise. By collecting the vapour, we will have drinkable water.

Hope this may solve your drought problem.

What's your method to obtain fresh water from the sea? The existing products excludes.

#37    SLY

SLY

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• Ignorance is the vain unteachables. ~Roger Bacon 13th century

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

but maybe if all humanity works together maybe we can prevent??  yes.gif

That's like "dreaming the impossible dream", "catching that exculive butterfly", "can't we all just get along" ect.. sadly, I sure you know what I mean.

To your 1st question, for two decades now I always believe in 'Bill Nye the Science Guy' (he's my dream man hehe). Bill Nye has NEVER let me down yet. Here is what he has to say:

NYE: The safety of the water. When you start to get all these bacteria in the water they start consuming the oxygen and the heavy metals accumulate up the food chain as fish eat little fish and then humans being in that water, if you have open cuts and so on, it's dangerous. You can get infections.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/25/lkl.01.html

Than there is:
5. SSI at COP-6

(Web Page; Thu May 08 00:00:00 EDT 2003)

ssi in action SSI at COP-6 Negotiations in The Hague Although the global warming treaty negotiations held in The Netherlands last November ended in a deadlock, UCS and SSI helped ensure that sound science had a strong voice throughout the...
http://www.ucsusa.org/search.jsp?query=Bil...e&submit=Search

I can't find a link but I do remember Bill Nye tell Larry King "YES, Global Warming is a FACT! I believe him.

Sly

#38    SLY

SLY

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• Ignorance is the vain unteachables. ~Roger Bacon 13th century

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

Also from the Report on the 6th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Climate Convention  The Hague, Netherlands, November 13 25, 2000

Promising Trends

Despite the lack of a formal agreement, several promising trends emerged from the rubble of COP-6. Four in particular stand out.

First, the science is now accepted as sound by virtually all involved. Dr. Robert Watson's strong opening speech set the stage for the negotiations by referencing the IPCC's forthcoming Third Assessment Report. In contrast, contrarian Dr. Fred Singer arrived the second week of negotiations but was hardly even noticed. As mentioned above, Senators Hagel and Craig, in a meeting with environmental NGOs, publicly recognized that the science is "coalescing."
Second, there continue to be noticeable shifts among the US and multinational business community on global warming. Few businesses were in active opposition in The Hague, and many now support the global warming treaty in principle.
Third, there is increasing recognition that the United States can in fact meet its emissions targets without wrenching the economy. The recent report from the Department of Energy and five national laboratories that details cost-effective emissions reduction policies received widespread attention from both the media and other countries' negotiators at COP-6.
Fourth, the EU and Japan continue to indicate that they want to ratify in time for the Protocol to enter into force by the 10th anniversary of the Rio Earth Summit in June 2002.
All of these trends are hopeful signs that "the corner has been turned" on this issue and that we will see more promising results -- both domestically and internationally -- in the near future.
http://www.ucsusa.org/ssi/archive/sixth-co...rties-cop6.html

Sly

#39    chillster

chillster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

I think Mankind is doomed.
take a good hard look at what our planet has become.  
The United States has been a gross polluter over the last century.
The industrial age did alot of damage to mother Earth,  I think they called it "Progress".

Now with the Planet on it's last lap,  Countries like China & India are just getting started!

Man is inherently flawed & although their are individuals who SEE what has been going
on,  The majority havn't a clue what is really going on,  or they just don't give a shyt.

I think Earth will end up being uninhabital for Man & most land species.
eventually over time with the absense of Man,  The planet will return to a semi normal
state & the Apes will rise above.  The only remnents of Man will lie in the forbidden zone.

#40    kaknelson

kaknelson

Alien Abducter

• 4,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Global Warming is one of many troubles facing the world.

Amoung all others: natural disasters, war, poverty, pollution, murder of animals, cutting of trees, sheltering of truth and knowledge, selfish lost-souls bathing in money. ETC

.  .      .   .    .   .      .      .       .       .     .       .    .    .        .    .             .      .

\_0v | h @nwR

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users