Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did dinosuars have lips?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Did dinosuars have lips? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Did dinosuars have lips?

1. yes (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. no (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

3. some did (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

listen to frogfish artymoon; he's a dino fan.

what? frogfish, a dino fan? are you sure we're thinking of the same person? good point ff, prehensile tongue makes a convincing theory.

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#17    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:19 AM

IF there was a dinosaur with lips, it would be Sauropods, but I find it that the tingues are more likely as Dinos are archosaurs, and archosaurs don't have lips.

what? frogfish, a dino fan

Lol, my avatar and sig are just a decoy rolleyes.gif

Edited by frogfish, 07 April 2006 - 10:22 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#18    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed.  We know this because of the holes for major blood vessels in the maxilla of both predatory and herbivorous dinsaurs.  It is not even a debatable point.  It is a fact.

Crocodilians do not have lips becasue of their adaption as an aquatic animal, making the lips redundant.  Nor do they have the blood vessel holes to support the lips, thus proving the point.  Not to mention every reptile except turtles, tortoises and crocodilians also having lips.

Of course, little kids who think dinos are "cooler" with exposed fangs will not want to believe this, but the truth is the truth.

Sorry Frogfish.  

#19    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed.  We know this because of the holes for major blood vessels in the maxilla of both predatory and herbivorous dinsaurs.  It is not even a debatable point.  It is a fact.

Crocodilians do not have lips becasue of their adaption as an aquatic animal, making the lips redundant.  Nor do they have the blood vessel holes to support the lips, thus proving the point.  Not to mention every reptile except turtles, tortoises and crocodilians also having lips.

Of course, little kids who think dinos are "cooler" with exposed fangs will not want to believe this, but the truth is the truth.

Sorry Frogfish.

Are you implying that the many herbivores which had horny beaks also had lips? Or that, for instance, masiakasaurus had lips over its rather prominent teeth? This seems unlikely.

Certainly, many dinosaurs had lips. However, there are many species which did not. To present your case as absolute is an exageration. As with all things in life, there are exceptions.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Down the valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

#20    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

• To days Sci-Fi is tomorrows science fact.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:20 AM

frog have lips.  geek.gif

Human kind can not gain any thing with out first giving some thing in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. -Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist

Posted Image

#21    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed

You don't have any proof...I have not heard of this before.

It is not even a debatable point. It is a fact

yes it is...All ceratopsians, therizinosaurs, and most hadrosaurs had beaks or beak-like structures. Not to mention oviraptorids. Lips are for producing certain sounds and to manipulate food outside the mouth. Therefore, it is probable that carnivores did not have lips, but rather tore flesh like a crocodile. If there were lips in the dinosaurs, they would belong to the herbivores, but it is more likely they had beaks and/or prehensile tongues, as their teeth were pushed forward and the palate curved upwards. That leaves the sauropods with the only ones with a good possibility of lips. But since their closest cousins don't have lips, it is reasonable that they don't have lips either. They most likely had prehensile tongues like giraffes.

Sorry Frogfish.

I hope your not implying something like this again, or it will revert you to being banned again.

frog have lips

So?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#22    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

he got you frogfish. w00t.gif

Human kind can not gain any thing with out first giving some thing in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. -Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist

Posted Image

#23    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:21 AM

You don't have any proof...I have not heard of this before.

I'm afraid that in this case, Frogfish, you are mistaken, at least in the sense that there is in fact a goodly amount of evidence that most theropods had lips. However, it is hardly an uncontested fact, and as I pointed out, the presense of lips on ALL dinosaurs is believed to be false.

A study by Ohio University done in 1998 suggests that Tyranosaurs may not have had lips at all. Sadly, I can find no information on follow-up studies, and so I cannot vouch for the study's validity. However, it clearly shows that debate on the subject is alive and well. You can read a press release from the university here:

http://www.ohiou.edu/news/months/sept1998/057.html

For the time being, the presence of lips appears to be the most widely held belief, but they were hardly universal, and the debate is not yet finished.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#24    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

I'm afraid that in this case, Frogfish, you are mistaken, at least in the sense that there is in fact a goodly amount of evidence that most theropods had lips. However, it is hardly an uncontested fact, and as I pointed out, the presense of lips on ALL dinosaurs is believed to be false.

A study by Ohio University done in 1998 suggests that Tyranosaurs may not have had lips at all. Sadly, I can find no information on follow-up studies, and so I cannot vouch for the study's validity. However, it clearly shows that debate on the subject is alive and well. You can read a press release from the university here:

http://www.ohiou.edu/news/months/sept1998/057.html

For the time being, the presence of lips appears to be the most widely held belief, but they were hardly universal, and the debate is not yet finished.

-Pilgrim

Cool. thanks for that. But how did the T-rex stop its teeth form drying out?

Posted Image

#25    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:10 AM

Cool. thanks for that. But how did the T-rex stop its teeth form drying out?

Chapstick?

Lips are useful for protecting the teeth from decay. However, dinosaurs, like crocodiles, do not have a permenant set of teeth. Rather, when a tooth falls out, they simply grow a new one. Thus, the problem isn't as great for them as for a mammal. If a tooth is damaged, they need only wait a few months for a replacement.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#26    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:41 AM

If you look, theropods would have no need for lips as they are used for manipulating small foods. Animals that "rip and tear" like theropods   (crocs, sharks, etc) don't need lips...It would be no use to a large Allosaur or such. Even their closest cousins and predecessors, crocs and birds, don't have lips.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#27    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

I bet you didnt even look at that link did you frogfish. blink.gif

Posted Image

#28    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:03 AM

I bet you didnt even look at that link did you frogfish

What is your point?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#29    shikon1

shikon1

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

• Those who sacrifice liberty in the name of security deserve neither.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

If you look, theropods would have no need for lips as they are used for manipulating small foods. Animals that "rip and tear" like theropods   (crocs, sharks, etc) don't need lips...It would be no use to a large Allosaur or such. Even their closest cousins and predecessors, crocs and birds, don't have lips.

well just because they dont need lips dosent mean they didnt have em

i mean look at us we have an appendix but it dosent seem to have a significant function

Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America.

-Barack Obama

#30    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:22 AM

My point is its real resruch in to this topc. It says your not right. tongue.gif

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users