Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did dinosuars have lips?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Did dinosuars have lips? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Did dinosuars have lips?

1. yes (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. no (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

3. some did (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:33 AM

My point is its real resruch in to this topc. It says your not right. tongue.gif

If you are referring to my link, then I believe you are mistaken. It suggests tyranosaurus did NOT have lips, just a Frogfish said.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Down the valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

#32    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

• To days Sci-Fi is tomorrows science fact.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:50 AM

yes,  but it said other may. original.gif

Human kind can not gain any thing with out first giving some thing in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. -Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist

Posted Image

#33    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

My point is its real resruch in to this topc. It says your not right.

You compiled research ohmy.gif Oh my, what do you have? If you are reffering to the link, it agrees with me. But like almost all research on dinosaurs, they can collapse at anytime. I could e totally wrong, or I could be right that no dinosaurs had lips.

What information do you have to back up lips?

well just because they dont need lips dosent mean they didnt have em

i mean look at us we have an appendix but it dosent seem to have a significant function

You have a good point, but I'll tell you why this is wrong.

Evolution does not give animals unnessary organs or functions. The appendix actually does something, it helps manufacture T4 cells. But the common belief is that the appendix is a evolutionary remenant from our ancestors...It will dissappear soon if the theory is right.

Eukaryotic Cells have organelles called mitochondria. It is beieved that these mitochondria were actually once prokaryote cells that lived inside eukaryote cells. Mitochondria have useless DNA different from the whole cell. The DNA doesn't serve as a function, but is a evolutionary remenant.

Since dinosaurs did not need lips (with the exception of sauropods, but I still believe prehensile tongues were better), and no ancestor of the dinosaurs had lips, they MOST LIKELY did not have lips.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#34    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

It will dissappear soon if the theory is right.

That will only happen if for some reason, people with an appendix couldn't survive; which isn't the case.

#35    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

You have a good point, but I'll tell you why this is wrong.

Evolution does not give animals unnessary organs or functions.

Then why do we have coler in our eyes. The coler in the eye has nothing to do with seeing.

Can you tell us why that is?  tongue.gif

Human kind can not gain any thing with out first giving some thing in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. -Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist

Posted Image

#36    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

Then why do we have coler in our eyes. The coler in the eye has nothing to do with seeing.

Can you tell us why that is?  tongue.gif

It is a useful means of telling different individuals apart, or at least helps in doing so. It also encourages eye contact, which helps to increase facial recognition, which in turn strengthens familial bonds. All of these traits would have been very useful to our ancestors.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#37    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:52 AM

It is a useful means of telling different individuals apart, or at least helps in doing so. It also encourages eye contact, which helps to increase facial recognition, which in turn strengthens familial bonds. All of these traits would have been very useful to our ancestors

Correct yes.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#38    Immortal Norway

Immortal Norway

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

• NP, risen from the snow...

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

I voted "some did".

A second try, a second change...

Oh, and don`t ever make fun of my russian accent English, for Gods sake, i`m a 13yo Norwegian! Don`t expect me to speak this language 100% fluent and expecialy not without tons of grammar and spelling mistakes (Lol, I`m shure there are 6, 7, 8 only in this siggy)...

#39    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

It is a useful means of telling different individuals apart, or at least helps in doing so. It also encourages eye contact, which helps to increase facial recognition, which in turn strengthens familial bonds. All of these traits would have been very useful to our ancestors.

-Pilgrim

That makes little sense to me, I could understand if you said that those which did not have coloured eyes were maybe considered unattractive and therefore didn't mate and produce offspring; is that what you were getting at?

#40    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

That makes little sense to me, I could understand if you said that those which did not have coloured eyes were maybe considered unattractive and therefore didn't mate and produce offspring; is that what you were getting at?

Yes and no. I am saying that having colored eyes helps to build a tighter bond between family members, and that a family with tight bonds has a strong reason to work together as a team. It does not in and of itself make the creature better suited to survival but it helps to build traits which do so.

I think that attractiveness played some role in the genetic selection of colored eyes over non-colored eyes. However, it is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Those who had mates with colored eyes were the ones more likely to make eye contact, and thus more likely to have strong family bonds. They bred and were successful, while those who did not care about eye color were less likely to make eye contact and were less successful overall. The result was that more children were raised to find colored eyes attractive. It was because eye color had this effect that it became attractive, not the other way around.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#41    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

yes.gif

Back on topic...If dinos indeed have lips, then the only plausible ones would be the sauropods. They could of possinbly used them to manipulate leaves...But the prehensile tongue like giraffes is more plausible.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#42    IndigoChild

IndigoChild

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Wow, what an out-there question to ask, but it's a good one. I've never really thought much on it, but I'm sure that some had to, considering what the diets of some were. Wouldn't you need lips to lap up water from a nearby stream or lake?

I'd really like to see some ideas tossed around on this one.  geek.gif

Posted Image

#43    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

Wouldn't you need lips to lap up water from a nearby stream or lake?

No, that's what a tongue is for. How do snakes, turtles, crocs, and birds drink water?

Edited by frogfish, 11 April 2006 - 10:18 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#44    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

Pilgrim,
Obviously, I wasn't referring to beaked and duckbilled dinosaurs, that should have been a no brainer.  By "all", I was referring to all toothed dinos.

Frogfish,
For someone who claims he keep reptiles, I am rather disappointed in your inability to grasp this concept.  Komodo Dragons and other varanids must have had a very similar feeding behaviour to theopod dinos.  They even have remarkably similar, serated and flat teeth.  They swallow small prey whole and tear larger prey apart to swallowable size as would theropods.  And THEY HAVE LIPS!  Their mouths form a tight seal so when they breath, the air comes through their nostrils and their olfactory bulb picks up scents.  That's one of the reasons they have lips, the other is to prevent their mouth tissue from drying out.  Theropod dinosaurs probably also had the thick fleshy gums like monitor lizards that largely cover the teeth.

The truth is in the fossil evidence.  Toothed dinosaurs have holes in their jaws for the blood vessels that feed the lip tissues.  Crocs do not have these holes because they have no lips.

It is really not a debatable point frogfish, you are wrong again.  

DC

#45    SG7

SG7

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Pilgrim,
Obviously, I wasn't referring to beaked and duckbilled dinosaurs, that should have been a no brainer.  By "all", I was referring to all toothed dinos.

Frogfish,
For someone who claims he keep reptiles, I am rather disappointed in your inability to grasp this concept.  Komodo Dragons and other varanids must have had a very similar feeding behaviour to theopod dinos.  They even have remarkably similar, serated and flat teeth.  They swallow small prey whole and tear larger prey apart to swallowable size as would theropods.  And THEY HAVE LIPS!  Their mouths form a tight seal so when they breath, the air comes through their nostrils and their olfactory bulb picks up scents.  That's one of the reasons they have lips, the other is to prevent their mouth tissue from drying out.  Theropod dinosaurs probably also had the thick fleshy gums like monitor lizards that largely cover the teeth.

The truth is in the fossil evidence.  Toothed dinosaurs have holes in their jaws for the blood vessels that feed the lip tissues.  Crocs do not have these holes because they have no lips.

It is really not a debatable point frogfish, you are wrong again.  

DC

Thank you! thats what I've been trying to tell him.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users