Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Silbury Hill - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31    Foxe

Foxe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Witches were burned in Scotland, but not in England (Not nit-picking, it's an important distinction since until the 18thC they were different countries)

On the Witchways list they seem to make no distinction between people being accused of witchcraft and being actually executed for it - for example, they include Joan of Arc who was burned for heresy, and any charges of witchcraft were incidental to the main charge of heresy.

In England burning was reserved for the crimes of heresy or treason, while witchcraft was a secular crime and the punishment was hanging.

Of course, someone who was charged with witchcraft AND heresy might well be burned, but they were burned for being a heretic, not a witch.

Margery Jordemain was one of these latter. Having used her witchcraft against the King she was guilty of treason as well as witchcraft and was burned, not because she was a witch, but because she was a traitor.

Edited by Foxe, 16 April 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Foxe

Don't believe everything you are told. Question it, examine it, ask for the evidence and make your own mind up.

#32    Tommygunner

Tommygunner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• I believe, because it makes sense to believe. I don't believe, when a politician tells me its the truth !

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

well ok,  but as it says on the description on the top of the page  Quote ALL on this list died as a result of witchcraft accusation Unquote.  I guess maybe for me that means she was burned as a result of her being a witch, as well as other things.

#33    Foxe

Foxe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

well ok,  but as it says on the description on the top of the page  Quote ALL on this list died as a result of witchcraft accusation Unquote.  I guess maybe for me that means she was burned as a result of her being a witch, as well as other things.

Yeah, but if she had used her witchcraft against someone other than the king she would not have been burned; but, if she had attacked the king in a normal physical way, with no hint of witchcraft or sorcery, she would still have been burned. The burning and the witchcraft are only incidental to one another. She was not burned because she was a witch, she was burned because she was a traitor.

Would it be better if I amended my original statement ("witches were never burned in England") to "nobody was ever burned in England for being a witch"?

Foxe

Don't believe everything you are told. Question it, examine it, ask for the evidence and make your own mind up.

#34    Tommygunner

Tommygunner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• I believe, because it makes sense to believe. I don't believe, when a politician tells me its the truth !

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Mmmm yeh well in the interests of accuracy i guess it would be right to say that.

By the way, thanks for all the info on particularly the Long Man. I am preparing a booklet on the South Downs way and surrounding area for a local foreign student school this summer. It doesnt have to be an exact history, but i wanted to be fairly accurate with it. I am only fitting in the Beachy Head to Winchester area, and some areas of interest around and about. I found a lot of the information you posted very useful. Thanks for that.

#35    Psychokinesis

Psychokinesis

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

user posted image

This is Silbury Hill taken from nearby West Kennet Long Barrow last December.

I've seen a few crop circles in the general Avebury area over the years.

There are as many theories about Silbury Hill as you can imagine. The oldest theory is that it was a giant burial mound (the are is littered with tumuli and barrows), for a great king named Sil. Even if the Sil theory is discounted many people believe that it was a burial mound of sorts. One of the more recent theories was based on the superficial resemblance of the hill and its surrounding moat to prehistoric statues thought to be of the Earth mother, with the hill representing the womb and the moat the rest of the body. However, the resemblance was superficial at best, and could only be seen from the air anyway (prehistoric peoples were notorious for not having developed air travel), so the theory is not a good one, despite its obvious attraction. Other theories abound... aliens, shipwrecked Egyptians, it was done for a bet...

One thing we can tell; it's not aligned to anything, it's a big circular mound in the middle of Salisbury Plain.

The idea that it is a burial site makes sense as a skeleton was found there..

#36    Foxe

Foxe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

The idea that it is a burial site makes sense as a skeleton was found there..

I believe the actually finding of the skeleton is in some doubt, but if there was indeed a body found there then it was reported as being found near the top. Since Silbury hill was built in stages, and the top part was (naturally) the last stage to be built, a skeleton buried in the top does not solve the mystery of why building began.

In no way does this discount the possibility that it was a burial mound. The hill is vast and only small exploratory shafts have been dug into the bottom of it. The fact that no skeleton contemporary with the original building has been discovered is not necessarily terribly significant.

Foxe

#37    Oldster

Oldster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• If we want to solve a problem that has never been solved before, we must leave the door to the unknown ajar.

- Richard Feynman

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

This video includes Silbury Hill and shows its geographic relationship to Avebury and Stonehenge...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/293086/the_w...s_google_earth/

Having climbed the hill myself I can say it is enormous, although going up it is not encouraged.

#38    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

• I'll be back....

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:17 AM

about the long man, could it be it was the romans who did it? I saw a program on discovery were they compared the image of the fallic cerne giant with a statuette of Hercules....and they almust matched!

But if the L.M is older perhaps has inspired the romans doing the Cerne giant? who knows!

About the hill....well it is a natural formation  tongue.gif

Finally got my black belt....

#39    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,352 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:15 PM

LOL!  We deserve that!   grin2.gif

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#40    Wolf MacCanine

Wolf MacCanine

The Lunatic Puppy

• 1,635 posts

• My "Inner Puppy" made me do it.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hmmm...some have been forgetting that Silbury Hill may have been a part of a system of "Beacon" hills.On hills such as these,large fires would be lit at special times and be clearly visible from the next hill or spot in the line of beacons.

There is also the study of Ley Lines,of which Silbury Hill is possibly one of the markers in one or more of the lines.Many markers along certain Ley Lines may have also been used as beacons.

Would it not make sense to build a beacon hill or marker if one was needed?

It has been shown that a fire or flag on Silbury Hill would have been clearly seen from other spots,so this tends to make a lot of sense.

"Reality bites and so do I...so deal with it!"

"Geez...one dyslexic human spells your name wrong and you have to deal with it for eons.It's supposed to be DOG,ya doofus!!"

#41    Rahl

Rahl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

Hmmm...some have been forgetting that Silbury Hill may have been a part of a system of "Beacon" hills.On hills such as these,large fires would be lit at special times and be clearly visible from the next hill or spot in the line of beacons.

There is also the study of Ley Lines,of which Silbury Hill is possibly one of the markers in one or more of the lines.Many markers along certain Ley Lines may have also been used as beacons.

Would it not make sense to build a beacon hill or marker if one was needed?

It has been shown that a fire or flag on Silbury Hill would have been clearly seen from other spots,so this tends to make a lot of sense.

It would seem, by knowledgeable people such as Foxe of the terrain and topography of where this hill lies, that it would not be the most fruitful of endeavours to build a beacon hill in the shadow of a nearby natural hill of greater height, and of these ley lines , would they have known about such hypothesis, since it is only some concept thought up in the 1920's.

Out of the dusk a shadow,
Then, a spark
Out of the cloud a silence,
Then, a lark
Out of the heart a rapture,
Then, a pain
Out of the dead, cold ashes,
Life again.

#42    Wolf MacCanine

Wolf MacCanine

The Lunatic Puppy

• 1,635 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

If I remember correctly,several cultures used the beacon hill concepts during early history.As for making a marker such as Silbury Hill,if something was needed,they would build it.

The reason for this is because of "line of sight".The nearby hill may be a bit out of the way,using the line of sight method.There is evidence that "the old straight track" (Ley Lines) may have been in use pretty far back.If so,why not use the most direct line of sight to convey messages or to guide travellers?

Of course,the modern theories concerning Ley Lines is that they are laid out upon lines of Earth energy.But,what if there were more mundane reasons for having the "straight tracks"?

I doubt that we will ever know the whole truth of the matter,but the most feasible explanation for Silbury Hill would be the use as a line of sight beacon hill.

"Geez...one dyslexic human spells your name wrong and you have to deal with it for eons.It's supposed to be DOG,ya doofus!!"

#43    Foxe

Foxe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

To understand this properly you really need to be at Silbury hill to observe the topography, but Silbury is a large manmade structure surrounded by larger natural ones. If you wanted to site a line of beacons for communication you just wouldn't put one on Silbury Hill because the other hills around are higher. A beacon on Silbury hill would only be seen from the hills surrounding it, and in order to complete a chain of beacons including Silbury Hill you'd need beacons on the surrounding hills. Now, if you put beacons on the surrounding hills then they could be seen from each others' locations and you wouldn't need the beacon on Silbury.

If you were building a beacon chain then you probably wouldn't even utilise Silbury Hill, you definitely wouldn't build it for the purpose.

Sorry, but far from being the most feasable possibility, it's one of the few theories which can almost definitely be discounted.

Foxe

#44    Wolf MacCanine

Wolf MacCanine

The Lunatic Puppy

• 1,635 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

http://www.britannia.com/wonder/emsilbry.html

[quote]The meridian line from Silbury runs through Avebury church which stands on a ley line running between Stonehenge and the stone circle at Winterbourne Abbas. The same ley line also passes through two churches and the eastern slope of Silbury. Silbury, in fact, is a centre for alignments of straight prehistoric tracks, resurfaced by the Romans, and of standing stones.The Roman road between Marlborough and Bath runs directly towards Silbury Hill before swerving to avoid it.[/quote]

http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/early ages/silbury hill.htm (Grr...this link refuses to post correctly)

[/quote]There is a great deal of evidence for ancient Ley lines that link key sites in this area. Silbury Hill is also at the centre of alignments for straight prehistoric tracks, re-surfaced by the Romans, who may have used the hill as a surveying point.[quote]

Alfred Watkins believed that many alignments of monuments and key points in the landscape were the remains of old travel routes (Ley Lines).At some locations in the "straight tracks" there have been found remnants of signal fires (beacons),so it is a very plausible theory.

Higher hills are not always viable for signal fires,due to topographical features in other spots along a straight track that may block the view of the beacon,hence the reason for some unnatural constructs being placed in certain areas...even near a natural hill.

There was a program that I watched recently where someone showed that the top of Silbury Hill was able to be seen from a couple of other spots along a straight track.From one of those spots,Silbury Hill could only be seen through a small section of surrounding hills,hence the "line of sight" explanation.

So,it is a possibility.The best way to determine if it is plausible is to visit some of the sites along the line and see for yourself,by looking at all of the surrounding landscape at each site.

Edited by Wolf MacCanine, 18 November 2006 - 07:09 PM.

#45    Chris.B

Chris.B

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

While not rejecting this, natural formations means that forces of nature, i.e. Wind, Corrosion, etc gradually shape them. So what natural factors would be able to form the hill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users