Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Question for people in colder climates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1    novaceleste

novaceleste

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

I was wondering if someone can help. I'm from deep south Texas and my husband and I keep arguing about whether it lightenings during snowstorms. I have searched the web and found nothing. Could anyone help???

Edited by novaceleste, 12 April 2006 - 03:41 PM.

Not all who wander are lost.

#2    eden grange

eden grange

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

• ~Zauvijek~

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

I was wondering if someone can help. I'm from deep south Texas and my husband and I keep arguing about whether it lightenings during thunderstorms. I have searched the web and found nothing. Could anyone help???

Lightning comes before thunder light travels faster then sound .

#3    novaceleste

novaceleste

Psychic Spy

• 1,348 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

I was wondering if someone can help. I'm from deep south Texas and my husband and I keep arguing about whether it lightenings during thunderstorms. I have searched the web and found nothing. Could anyone help???

REDO!! REDO!!  laugh.gif I meant to say snowstorm! I'm such a moron! laugh.gif

#4    eden grange

eden grange

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

• ~Zauvijek~

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

REDO!! REDO!!  laugh.gif I meant to say snowstorm! I'm such a moron! laugh.gif

That doesn't make u stupid, I mess up all the time  grin2.gif  I cant really ever remember seeing lightning in snow but i'm young (24 original.gif  ) I`ll ask some more of my "seasoned" friends if they can ever recall seeing it.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,454 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

You can have a thunder storm with snow. Whilst London isn't really that cold in the winter I have seen this happen a few times, the last time being about a year ago.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    JeremyGTS

JeremyGTS

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:31 PM

i thought for lightning to strike the air has to be pretty warm but i may be wrong let me check my encyclopedia of science

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

#7    Immortal Norway

Immortal Norway

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

• NP, risen from the snow...

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

I have never seen a lightning during a snowstorm, but I think that the changes that you see a lightning under a snowstorm are the same as when it`s raining, after all both snow and fluent water is water.

A second try, a second change...

Oh, and don`t ever make fun of my russian accent English, for Gods sake, i`m a 13yo Norwegian! Don`t expect me to speak this language 100% fluent and expecialy not without tons of grammar and spelling mistakes (Lol, I`m shure there are 6, 7, 8 only in this siggy)...

#8    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,766 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

Snowstorms do produce thunder and lightning only less frequently than summertime thunderstorms. Also, snowflakes with a larger surface than raindrops scatter sound and light more efficiently. In addition, visibility during snowstorms is often very low, making the flashes harder to see.

The flashes, or lightning, that you see in the sky are giant atmospheric sparks caused by a sudden release of energy between separated electrical charges in the clouds. Local variations of wind speed and direction or shear transport charges to different areas within a cloud, until the potential grows strong enough for a discharge.

In winter, strong localized shears are uncommon and charge separation is weak. Lightning will still occur at the frontal zones, however, where cold air meets warmer air.

In the Great Lakes region, cold air from Canada meets the warmer air over the lakes and causes precipitation. "You'll get thunder snowstorms right along the south shores of Lakes Ontario and Erie," says Rick Watling, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

And although lightning is less common in winter, it is even more deadly than at any other time of the year, Watling says. That's because wintertime strikes tend to carry more current then their summertime counterparts.

FYI: Snow, Thunder, and Lightning

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,454 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

It is more to do with electrical build up with in the clouds. The best conditions for this when it is hot but it isn't exclusively. It is not something that I have seen often (mabe only 2 or 3 times in my 40 years).

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    novaceleste

novaceleste

Psychic Spy

• 1,348 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Wow Pax! That is intresting, thanks! original.gif

#11    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,766 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Wow Pax! That is intresting, thanks! original.gif

you are quite welcome... glad to be of service  grin2.gif

#12    TK0001

TK0001

THIMK!!!

• 1,806 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

Happens probably 2 or 3 times a year here in Michigan. Not unusual at all.

#13    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have lived in Calgary Canada most of my life and I have to say I have never seen lightning during a snowstorm ever.  I have seen hail storms produce lighning.  I have seen snow in the middle of summer befor and I have seen it as warm as 25 degree's C in december,I have seen a couple of tornado's to. Living so close to the Rockies we get some wierd weather,we get what they call Chinooks,  warm air comming over the mountains from the pacific that can produce some very strange weather,but no I can't recall ever seeing lightning in a snowstorm ever,not saying it doesn't happen though.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#14    starlitkate

starlitkate

Mummer's Star

• 1,431 posts

• I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friends

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

I live in Maine and for most of the year it snows here and I've never remembered seeing lightning while it was snowy. I'll ask my spouse and his mother and if they say then have then I"ll let ya know-if not then you know it don't. grin2.gif

- Signature removed, exceeds 500x150 size limit -

#15    mklsgl

mklsgl

just me

• 3,153 posts

• They're selling postcards of the hanging
    They're painting the passports brown
    The beauty parlor's filled with sailors
    The circus is in town

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

Happens on the US East Coast almost every winter if we get a particularly nasty "Nor'easter." Thunder, lightning, and storming snow. Just happened during the 30" in Central Park blizzard.

Grateful Dead; July, 31, 1982 @ Manor Downs, Manor, TX
"Yes it's 'T' For Texas"
Be Here Now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users