Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tradition

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Think That Your Parents Contribute To You Final Personality? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Think That Your Parents Contribute To You Final Personality?

1. Yes (13 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Dont Care (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    donnnboy

donnnboy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:51 PM

When you think about it, it is our parents that make us who we are... in a sense. They are the ones who make us go to church, feed us our vegtibles and all that other great stuff. They punish you when you do something wrong... crying.gif they give you a smile when your funny.... grin2.gif and they even help you on your every day problems by giving you advice... wink2.gif. But no matter how much you think that you cant get away from them, you always end up coming back. Your parents have way too much influence on our daily living... if we are so much like them, will we be doomed to make the same mistakes as them???? Think about it....

The Smoker

#2    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 25 September 2003 - 03:42 PM

Hi, donnnboy.  Welcome to UM.  original.gif

Our psychological make-up comes from everywhere.

As you say, how our parents treat us, plus, what behavioural traits we inherit.  Also, who we grow up alongside, what we experience, what class group we come from, our racial backgrounds.  And for the new age people out there, are we a bad soul or a good soul.

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#3    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 25 September 2003 - 04:41 PM

It's said that a person is a sum of their experiences....and a great many experiences are taught and passed on to us from our parents. Certainly, opinions, beliefs, and so forth are taught by your parents, and stay with your for a great part (if not all) of your life.

Your upbringing can be a huge part of the person you turned out to be, yeah.  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#4    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:16 PM

I believe everything to do with who we are, and what we become, has completely to do with who raises us. Parents or guardians.
For instants, depending on what religion your parents are will most probably end up becoming your religion (even when most don’t even believe in religion. For instance, even if a person has never been to church in their life, when asked they will say Christian, because that’s that their parents were!)
If you’re parents smoke, your most likely end up smoking.
At an early age our brains are like sponges, to say that we don’t copy the personality trait of our family is impossible.
How are parents speak, so do we. If they are polite, so are we. If they swear like State-Troopers so do we (of course they blame it on school, not thinking for one minute that their obscenities are the reason we talk the same!)
Of course just a bigger factor to our growing minds and attitudes has to do with WHERE we are born! If born in Indian your more likely to be a Hindu or have a varied choice in religion and beliefs. If your born in England, your most probably Church of England (even if you have never been!) If your in America, then could be anything.
Everything about who we are (even if we wouldn’t admit it) stems from are heritage and location. huh.gif

#5    RACZILLA

RACZILLA

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• RACZILLA!!!

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:54 PM

I think it's one of many factors that decide who we become.  Parents (or the lack of parents) play a big role in what type of person we will be, but I don't think that they are everything.  Certainly there are people out there who have great parents and still turn out to be scumbags.  Conversely, there are people who have crappy parents and turn out ok.  So to me parents are a big factor, but not the only factor in how someone may end up.

#6    lil_kanga77

lil_kanga77

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 08:38 PM

We can only be influenced by those that we allow however, I believe our parents have a huge impact on developing us into the person we ultimately become.

I also think those that we surround ourselves with are a reflection of who we are.

#7    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:22 PM

They f****d me up good, didn´t they?

I don´t give them any credit for the good things I do, or have done...
They were drunks and left me and my brothers alone for days sometimes.
From when I was 8 and forward....
That sucks...I´ve told them that too...  told them good.

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#8    All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• If only you could see what I see!

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:58 AM

We are as evil as the hand that forges us!

#9    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (All Seeing Eye @ Sep 25 2003, 11:58 PM)
We are as evil as the hand that forges us!

That is very reassuring.  By that line of logic, if the hand that forged us is in no way evil, then niether are we.  I doubt that it is as simple as all that.  An ambivalent hand would be my guess.

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#10    donnnboy

donnnboy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:02 PM

jeez... i never though that my belief was soo common, but ya my dad is a drunk... and i am just going through this... i am just 15 and these forums are how i excape the reality i live in...

the smoker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users