Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Dinosaur of the Day

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#61    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Deinocheirus
Deinocheirus Mirificus

user posted image

Pronounced: DINE-o-KIE-rus
Diet: Carnivore (Meat-Eater)
Name Means: "terrible hand"
Length: Up to 40 feet
Carnivore (Meat-Eater)
Height: 12 - 20 feet (3.5 - 6m)
Weight: up to 10 tons (9,000 kilos)
Time: Cretaceous - 70 MYA  

Imagine a giant predator as big as Tyrannosaurus rex that had powerful 8-foot-long arms armed with 10-inch-long claws. Then make it the fastest dinosaur that ever lived and you would have Deinocheirus!

A stunning and fascinating discovery, Deinocheirus is only known from a single skeleton that contained only the arms and a few vertebrae and ribs. The information we do have indicates that Deinocheirus was a large and powerful two-legged predator that would have certainly used its massive arms to catch and kill its prey. If Deinocheirus was in fact a very large member of the Ornithomimosaurian family as scientists now believe (see Gallimimus ), it could have been very fast - maybe the fastest dinosaur that ever lived.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#62    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Enigmosaurus
Enigmosaurus mongolienis

user posted image

Pronounced: ee-Nig-moe-Saw-rus
Diet: Carnivore(meat-eater)
Name Means: "Puzzling Lizard"
Length: 23 feet (7 m)
Height: 10 feet (3 m)
Weight: 1 ton (900 kilos)
Time: Late Cretaceous - 95 MYA  

Enigmosaurus is part of the strange family of dinosaurs called therizinosaurs. The most noticeable feature of these dinosaurs is their very long hand claws -some grew close to three feet (1 m) long! For a few years scientists were very puzzled by this family of dinosaurs which had been found only in Asia. In 1999 the first North American therizinosaur was discovered in New Mexico and in 2001 another was found in Utah. Members of this family of dinosaurs are believed to have had feathers.

Based on the minimal material found for Enigmosaurus, which consists of a partial pelvis, it has been suggested that Enigmosaurus and Erlikosaurus are the same animal. It is believed to have been a more evolutionarily advanced therizinosaur than Beipiaosaurus.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#63    Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

• I don't need to think just to know that I am.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Just gotta post this, it's too cute. A Parasaurolophus with appaloosa spots by Ursula Vernon. wub.gif
user posted image

Posted Image Life's too short to waste time being normal.

"Right Jamie, for this scene your motivation is your jilted lover. He doesn’t care about you anymore, he’s found a younger thing. And you want to wreck his pride and joy with neat, vertical slices." - Adam

#64    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

Nanotyrannus
Nanotyrannus lancensis

user posted image  

Pronounced: NAN-oh-tie-RAN-us
Diet: Carnivore (Meat eater)
Name Means: Tiny tyrant
Length: 17 feet (5 m)
Height: 7 feet (2 m)
Time: Late Cretaceous - 70 MYA  

Nanotyrannus is known from a single skull and jaw. The skull was originally thought to be that of an Albertosaurus, but significant differences were noticed years after it had been prepared and stored on a museum shelf. The skull was re-prepared, studied and re-described by Dr. Robert Bakker. Nanotyrannus had the honor of being the first dinosaur to be CAT scanned.

Nanotyrannus had forward-facing eyes like T. rex, which gave it very good depth perception. It had sharp, serrated teeth and powerful neck muscles. Combined, these tools would have made it an excellent hunter.

Some paleontologists believe that Nanotyrannus is a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex, partly because some of the skull bones are not fused, indicating an immature animal. A few paleontologists have suggested it may be a type of huge dromaeosaur (raptor).

hey frog did you know they have found a full skeleton of this dinosaur and its being displayed at the burpee museum in rockford ILL. but now there pritty sure it was a juvenile Tyrannosaurus. it was really cool for me because when they found it and brought it back i was volunteering for the museum and got to work on it! grin2.gif  heres a link... http://www.visitjane.com/temp.cfm

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#65    Master Sage

Master Sage

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• DRAGONZ!!!!

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

Enigmosaurus
Enigmosaurus mongolienis

user posted image

Pronounced: ee-Nig-moe-Saw-rus
Diet: Carnivore(meat-eater)
Name Means: "Puzzling Lizard"
Length: 23 feet (7 m)
Height: 10 feet (3 m)
Time: Late Cretaceous - 95 MYA  

Enigmosaurus is part of the strange family of dinosaurs called therizinosaurs. The most noticeable feature of these dinosaurs is their very long hand claws -some grew close to three feet (1 m) long! For a few years scientists were very puzzled by this family of dinosaurs which had been found only in Asia. In 1999 the first North American therizinosaur was discovered in New Mexico and in 2001 another was found in Utah. Members of this family of dinosaurs are believed to have had feathers.

Based on the minimal material found for Enigmosaurus, which consists of a partial pelvis, it has been suggested that Enigmosaurus and Erlikosaurus are the same animal. It is believed to have been a more evolutionarily advanced therizinosaur than Beipiaosaurus.

I think that things pug ugly!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#66    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:13 AM

hey frog did you know they have found a full skeleton of this dinosaur and its being displayed at the burpee museum in rockford ILL. but now there pritty sure it was a juvenile Tyrannosaurus. it was really cool for me because when they found it and brought it back i was volunteering for the museum and got to work on it!  heres a link... http://www.visitjane.com/temp.cfm

What's your name?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#67    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:16 AM

Bruhathkayosaurus
Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi
user posted image

Pronounced: brew-Hath-k-o-Sor -us
Diet: Herbivore(plant-eater)
Name Means: "Huge Body Lizard"
Length: 132 ft. (40 m)
Height: 44 ft. (14 m)
Weight: Unknown (really heavy, though!)
Time: Late Cretaceous - 70 MYA    

This giant dinosaur with a really long name could be the biggest dinosaur ever discovered. For several years it was thought to be a gigantic meat-eater, but it was recently classified as a sauropod, the long-necked family of dinosaurs that includes Argentinosaurus. Bruhathkayosaurus was among the largest dinosaurs that ever lived and would have been an awesome sight to see. Good thing for T. Rex it wasn't a meat-eater because Bruhathkayosaurus was about twice as big!

Some scientists don't think that the Bruhathkayosaurus fossils clearly illustrate the dinosaur's size. These scientists believe the actual size may have been somewhat smaller, but still very impressive.
----------
another of my favs...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#68    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:00 AM

What's your name?

my names Dominic. but i don't think i'm listed on the site if thats what your thinking. i pritty much just helped clean the bones and and put some broken pieces of the ribs back together and they had me sift through the exes dirt to find any small pieces that they mite have missed. man thou you would not believe how brittle and fragile some of those bones were you hade to be really careful with them or you would be like cleaning one of the bones and you put just a little to much force on it when your scrubbing the dirt of with a tooth brush and all of a sudden the dam thing just snaps in half! first comes the shock of what you did.... then you look over your shoulder to see if any one saw you do it... ph34r.gif
then you glue it back together before any one can see what you did ph34r.gif i learned later that it wasn't any big deal that it happens some times. you just have to make sure you glue it back on right laugh.gif

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#69    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

my names Dominic. but i don't think i'm listed on the site if thats what your thinking. i pritty much just helped clean the bones and and put some broken pieces of the ribs back together and they had me sift through the exes dirt to find any small pieces that they mite have missed. man thou you would not believe how brittle and fragile some of those bones were you hade to be really careful with them or you would be like cleaning one of the bones and you put just a little to much force on it when your scrubbing the dirt of with a tooth brush and all of a sudden the dam thing just snaps in half! first comes the shock of what you did.... then you look over your shoulder to see if any one saw you do it...  
then you glue it back together before any one can see what you did  i learned later that it wasn't any big deal that it happens some times. you just have to make sure you glue it back on right

yes.gif Fossilized bones ARE very fragile...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#70    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hadrosaurus
Hadrosaurus foulkii
  user posted image

Pronounced: Had-roh-Saw-rus
Diet: Herbivore (plant eater)
Name Means: Big lizard
Length: 33 feet (10 m)
Height: 14 feet (4 m)
Weight: 2 tons (1,900 kilos)
Time: Late Cretaceous

Hadrosaurus was the second dinosaur named in North America and a whole family of dinosaurs - hadrosaurs - was named after it. It was the first duck-billed dinosaur found, and one of the first on the East Coast of the U.S. It was a large plant-eater and is often shown standing upright, although it actually would have spent most of its time on all four legs.

The original specimen of Hadrosaurus was found in the Cretaceous marls of New Jersey in 1858. Joseph Leidy, an anatomy professor from Philadelphia, assembled the skeleton and named it.

Hadrosaurus was large for a hadrosaur and had a typical hadrosaur body. Its skull was typical of non-crested hadrosaurs, except for a noticeable bump on the nasal bones that created a resemblance to a prizefighter with a broken nose. Hadrosaurus is sometimes erroneously used as a generic name for hadrosaurs.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#71    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

Variraptor
Variraptor mechinorum

user posted image  

Pronounced: vair-EE-rap-tor
Diet: Carnivore (meat-eater)
Name Means: "Var Raider"
Length: 10 ft.(3 meters)
Height: 3 ft.(1 meters)
Weight: 110 lb.(50 kg)
Time: Late Cretaceous - 71 MYA    

Variraptor is the first proof that the raptor family of dinosaurs lived in Europe. This was a swift hunter that seems to be related to North America?s Deinonychus. North America and Europe were connected until about 110 m,y.a, which was about the middle of the Cretaceous Period. Scientists expect to find raptors in Europe that were similar to those that lived in North America.

The relationships and dispersal of the basal raptors has long been the topic of discussion. Some scientists feel that the raptor family originated in North America and spread to Asia and Europe. The discovery of Variraptor and Pyroraptor, another European dromaeosaur, support the North American origination theory.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#72    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

you know i was thinking. this really should be a pinned topic. thumbsup.gif

#73    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:07 AM

Scutellosaurus
Scutellosaurus lawleri
  user posted image

Pronounced: skoo-tell-o-Sore-us
Diet: Herbivore (Plant-Eater)
Name Means: "Little Shield Lizard"
Length: 4 Feet (1.2m)
Height: 1 Foot (30cm)
Weight: 22 pounds (10 kilos)
Time: Early Jurassic - 195 MYA

Scutellosaurus is the oldest known armored dinosaur. It was a small dinosaur that looked like some of the very first Triassic dinosaurs. It walked on its hind legs, ate plants and had a long tail. It is thought that Scutellosaurus was related to the earlier Lesothosaurus, which it resembles very closely, apart from its armored plates. In fact, this little dinosaur was discovered with more than 300 little bony plates along its back and neck. Most scientists think that Scutellosaurus could have grown larger than those that have been found to date.

As the first armored dinosaur yet discovered, Scutellosaurus is probably the ancestor of both ankylosaurs and stegosaurs. There are many theories about this little dinosaur. Some feel that the weight of its bony plates would have created the need for it to walk quadrapedally, thus paving the way for its larger descendants.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#74    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Aliwalia
Aliwalia rex
  user posted image

Pronounced: Ah-lee-Wall-ee-uh
Diet: Carnivore (meat- eater)
Name Means: "Aliwal One"
Length: 38 ft. (12 m)
Height: 12 ft. (3.5 m)
Weight: 1.5 tons (1,400 kg)
Time: Late Triassic - 220 MYA  

Aliwalia seems to be the first large meat-eating dinosaur. It appeared shortly after the very first dinosaurs that we know of and it was much larger. This could have been the grandfather of all the large predatory dinosaurs. It was similar in looks to the Herrerasaurus from South America, just bigger.

Discovered in South Africa, there are a number of questions surrounding Aliwalia. Scientists base their theories on just two bone fragments and there is still some question as to the dating of the fossils. If it in fact lived during the late Carnian, as has been suggested, then the size of this dinosaur is staggering. This was a time when there was very little difference in the body types of herbivores and carnivores. Originally, the remains were attributed to a prosauropod based on their size. There is no other evidence of theropods reaching this size until tens of million of years later.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#75    Master Sage

Master Sage

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• DRAGONZ!!!!

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

Gee, this is a great thera, only 3 or 4 so far i knew about before.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users