Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Precognition occur

ImOne

Does Precognition occur  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Does Precognition occur

• YES
    • NO
    • UNDECIDED

Definition from Wikipedia:

"Precognition is a form of extra-sensory perception which allows a "percipient" to perceive information about future places or events before they happen (as opposed to merely predicting them based on deductive reasoning and current knowledge)."

Thanks for participating.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boggle

• WarriorVisions

• Bearly

• Wombat

Absolutely......

Any thoughts?

precognition is the sh**....i remember plenty of times when i got a quick thought or visual of something, like my needed to be cleaned room...then my mom yells down to me to clean it like 5 minutes later. stupid little things like that...or big things like when i had a dream of a car accident and the next day i get into one with my friends! orrrr like my mother, who has gotten sudden feelings of anxiety of a certain loved one dying...whats really cool is how the cycle of life works...sumtimes in precognitive ways..ever follow the signs? i know i do. makes the circles and ideas of something more relivant...ever stop for a moment and notice something and find yourself relating to it in some way? ah sh**. is that precognition? in a way i think so yeah...depends on how u relate to it? loops man ahhhhhh

HOW!? :alien: only they know!!! but actually...it works in your third eye!! we all have one...we use it every day when we shut our eyes, like when we sleep! then we use it big time. or when we day dream... its pretty cool. you can use your third eye on demand if u get good at it, ya know, psychic vision. just shift your focus up...seek up...hehehe. thats how it works on that level. but as far as how? or why? i dun know...thats up to your own mind to ponder and make sense of...

peace

liz

How does Precognition occur :unsure:

While no one can explain it 100%, you might find it interesting that the pineal and pituitary glands have been postulated as organs that cause precognitive experiences. Here is a link that discusses this, there are many other link also if you do internet searches on thirdeye, ESP, psychics ect.

http://www.crystalinks.com/thirdeyepineal.html

Although I will never convince the skeptics (who will probably think I'm either delusional, crazy, or egotistical and full of it, or stupid) I myself have had precognitive experiences. While it sounds cool, knowing the future can be very disturbing and can be a burden and can put one in a very difficult situation, in fact it caused a great disturbance in my life. I am talking about powerful experiences, not about knowing who's on the telephone when it rings.

I have gone to a metaphysical church, where I have met and observed people with paranormal capabilities for over five years. I was so blown away with my experiences, I wanted to see if others had similar experiences. After keeping a critical and objective and non-baised mind (I have a Master of Science degree, so I know science), after observing these psychics for such a long time, I am convinced that there are people who can perform psychic and/or precognitive acts at will. My inital experiences were not by will and were unexpected.

The day before my finger was broken in class, I felt sick. I also had head aches, couldnt concentrate and kept telling myself to stay home sick. Lucky me, going anyway. And then had it twisted into a strange position. Im the first generation to break ssomething on my father's side for 1...2...3... a lot of generations.

They occur.

I've had a couple over the years, however meaningless most of them were.

Wouldn't real precognition technically contradict itself, since once you know what the future is, you can try to change it?

Suppose you saw yourself getting hit by a car 10 minutes from now out in the parking lot. If you choose a different exit, and don't get hit by a car, does that mean that precognition is faulty, or only tells a possible future? Or do you only have a wild imagination?

It's pretty tricky logically speaking.

You might see yourself get hit by a car, but it could be like a dream, a representation of your alledged injury, which could be seen one way, but will happen randomly however in the future.

Edited by ZV00

Wouldn't real precognition technically contradict itself, since once you know what the future is, you can try to change it?

Suppose you saw yourself getting hit by a car 10 minutes from now out in the parking lot. If you choose a different exit, and don't get hit by a car, does that mean that precognition is faulty, or only tells a possible future? Or do you only have a wild imagination?

It's pretty tricky logically speaking.

I would say it is very very tricky indeed, especially if you want to add in the concept of freewill, it's enough to give someone a headache.

I would say that a true precongitive event is one that tells of a highly probable future that will happen unless a corrective change is made by someone due to that persons knowledge of the future event.

To change the scenario that you gave above. Let's say you saw a day a head of time a plane that was to take you somewhere explode and so you cancel your flight. And the next day you read in the news it exploded. Now that would be a good example of precognitive experience. And if similar episodes were constantly occuring, I think you had better pay attention to your future visions and not put it down as co-incidence. Now one time might be a co-incidence, but if similar events occur repeatedly, I think one had better pay attention.

While no one can explain it 100%, you might find it interesting that the pineal and pituitary glands have been postulated as organs that cause precognitive experiences. Here is a link that discusses this, there are many other link also if you do internet searches on thirdeye, ESP, psychics ect.

http://www.crystalinks.com/thirdeyepineal.html

Although I will never convince the skeptics (who will probably think I'm either delusional, crazy, or egotistical and full of it, or stupid) I myself have had precognitive experiences. While it sounds cool, knowing the future can be very disturbing and can be a burden and can put one in a very difficult situation, in fact it caused a great disturbance in my life. I am talking about powerful experiences, not about knowing who's on the telephone when it rings.

I have gone to a metaphysical church, where I have met and observed people with paranormal capabilities for over five years. I was so blown away with my experiences, I wanted to see if others had similar experiences. After keeping a critical and objective and non-baised mind (I have a Master of Science degree, so I know science), after observing these psychics for such a long time, I am convinced that there are people who can perform psychic and/or precognitive acts at will. My inital experiences were not by will and were unexpected.

Thank you for that link, after reading it I understand my Psychic Gift a lot better.

In the past I only knew that I could do it but now after reading this article I have a gland to focus on.

Just yesterday I was thinking about an unusual experience I had back in the eighties when I first began meditation.

I would begin getting Psychic Information which I didn't always understand.

I began to see Satellites in outerspace and timed and dated the messages and drew them the best I could and there were several of these coming to me over a period of time.

A Little alter pictures of these Satellites were published in the paper and it said up until then they were top secret, yet I could get these pictures from outerspace before the general public knew about them.

Another time I saw a missle hit a ship in the Persian Gulf and several hours later the missile hit the ship and it looked just like it did in the vision I had earlier.

The Missile hit the U.S.S. Stark in the Persian Gulf during Dessert Storm and I saw it before it even happened.

Those are only a few examples but now that you have posted that link and I have read it I will now be pursuing my Psychic Gift even more.

It does occur though.. well I believe in it for sure. I can only guess as to why it happens though. I once had a very vivid experience with it. I dreamt once that a friend of mine was standing up on a stage, like on a small black theater. The stage was just off the side of the road on the footpath. Anyway the lights were kinda on my friend who was walking around in a daze. I went up on the stage with my girlfriend at the time and tried to talk to him but he wasnt making any sense.. he was like a walking zombie and I noticed that I could see though him. He was like a ghost. When I noticed this a ambulance man came up to me and was very sad and asked me to please leave him so that he could talk to my friend. I understood and I walked off stage and the dream ended.

Anyway I told all my friends(20/30 of them)the next day that I thought I had dreamt of this friend dying. They all laughed and said 'they wish' because he owed them all money and it was a laugh for abit and it was just another one of 'my dreams' shared again.

Anyway he died in a car crash with another friend about 3 days later. He was decapitated in the crash and the person who found him(first tended the scene by coming across it by chance)was an ambulance driver who was actually his father. It was very sad because the father found his own son like that. :cry: It was horribe.

I dont know why I dreamt that dream but it mighta been because we were kinda blood brothers(in a more modern sense lol). We were not close friends though.. we just shared.. this one time.. just before the dream. I'll leave it at that.

It does occur though.. well I believe in it for sure. I can only guess as to why it happens though. I once had a very vivid experience with it. I dreamt once that a friend of mine was standing up on a stage, like on a small black theater. The stage was just off the side of the road on the footpath. Anyway the lights were kinda on my friend who was walking around in a daze. I went up on the stage with my girlfriend at the time and tried to talk to him but he wasnt making any sense.. he was like a walking zombie and I noticed that I could see though him. He was like a ghost. When I noticed this a ambulance man came up to me and was very sad and asked me to please leave him so that he could talk to my friend. I understood and I walked off stage and the dream ended.

Anyway I told all my friends(20/30 of them)the next day that I thought I had dreamt of this friend dying. They all laughed and said 'they wish' because he owed them all money and it was a laugh for abit and it was just another one of 'my dreams' shared again.

Anyway he died in a car crash with another friend about 3 days later. He was decapitated in the crash and the person who found him(first tended the scene by coming across it by chance)was an ambulance driver who was actually his father. It was very sad because the father found his own son like that. :cry: It was horribe.

I dont know why I dreamt that dream but it mighta been because we were kinda blood brothers(in a more modern sense lol). We were not close friends though.. we just shared.. this one time.. just before the dream. I'll leave it at that.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. Unfortunately, very often what is known through precognitive experiences is not pleasant information, hence my previous posts. I certainly don't know all of the whys and wherefores. One of the good things that I got out of my experience is that it greatly increased my interest in spiritual matters and the paranormal, thus in a sense bringing me closer to the Creator and turning my life around in other matters. Scientists such as myself often loose faith in the Creator as scientific facts explain phenomena that were attributed to the supernatural. While much of my experience was not at all pleasent, at least it re-opened my eyes and brought my back to the Creator whom some cultures call God. I now also firmly believe in life after death, so that is of some comfort.

Thank you for that link, after reading it I understand my Psychic Gift a lot better.

In the past I only knew that I could do it but now after reading this article I have a gland to focus on.

Just yesterday I was thinking about an unusual experience I had back in the eighties when I first began meditation.

I would begin getting Psychic Information which I didn't always understand.

I began to see Satellites in outerspace and timed and dated the messages and drew them the best I could and there were several of these coming to me over a period of time.

A Little alter pictures of these Satellites were published in the paper and it said up until then they were top secret, yet I could get these pictures from outerspace before the general public knew about them.

Another time I saw a missle hit a ship in the Persian Gulf and several hours later the missile hit the ship and it looked just like it did in the vision I had earlier.

The Missile hit the U.S.S. Stark in the Persian Gulf during Dessert Storm and I saw it before it even happened.

Those are only a few examples but now that you have posted that link and I have read it I will now be pursuing my Psychic Gift even more.

You are welcome. I am glad that the information was of use to someone. Precognitive experiences have often been linked to meditation. My theory (and others) is that meditation stimulates the pineal and/or pituatary glands. Note that a lot of eastern religious practices emphasize the third eye, which corresponds to the location of the pineal gland. As someone mentioned on another link, artifical stimulation of the pineal gland often results in people hearing voices and feelings of connection with something mystical. There are some scientists who in error (IMO) conclude that paranormal experiences are some malfunction of the pineal gland and therefore these paranormal experience are not real. This is false logic, because a tuning fork can cause piano strings to sound and vibrate ('artifical' stimulation of the strings), that does not mean negate the fact that someone can also play the piano ('natural' stimulation). I would of course advise caution (not fear) in pursing your psychic gifts. As you probably already know, it is not a game. So I would advise reading up on it from many perspectives before you begin to redevelop you gift. You might also want to say a prayer that "may you only receive information that you can do something about". It is very sad to see something terrible in the future that you can do nothing about. I believe there is a spiritual (or religious) element to the precognitive experience, so I recommend you consider that angle also. Blessings to you, and may your path be peaceful.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the future has not happened yet, how could one possibly see it? Why don't people see the past and tell us about that instead? Tell us where the first Vikings landed, or how the pyramids were actually built. That would be far more useful than some consistantly wrong prediction about the future.

Since the future has not happened yet, how could one possibly see it? Why don't people see the past and tell us about that instead? Tell us where the first Vikings landed, or how the pyramids were actually built. That would be far more useful than some consistantly wrong prediction about the future.

what about knowing what's happening at the present but at great distances away? Bill Clinton sure doesnt have a problem with it:

On April 17, 1995, President Clinton issued Executive Order Nr. 1995-4-17, entitled Classified National Security Information. Although in one sense the order simply reaffirmed much of what has been long-standing policy, in another sense there was a clear shift toward more openness.

yet, you cant even open yourself up even alittle. Here is the rest of that article:

what you dont know presently

what about knowing what's happening at the present but at great distances away? Bill Clinton sure doesnt have a problem with it:

On April 17, 1995, President Clinton issued Executive Order Nr. 1995-4-17, entitled Classified National Security Information. Although in one sense the order simply reaffirmed much of what has been long-standing policy, in another sense there was a clear shift toward more openness.

yet, you cant even open yourself up even alittle. Here is the rest of that article:

what you dont know presently

Anytime you need proof that something is really silly, just look to see whether the government has dedicated funds to studying it.

I'm not sure if you actually read the link you presented, but Bill Clinton had nothing to do with the program except making it easier to have it declassified. The program in question was conducted during the latter stage of the Cold War and most likely only in response to the rumors of the Soviet Union pursuing a similar agenda.

These are well-known facts now. The program obviously was a total failure.

Anytime you need proof that something is really silly, just look to see whether the government has dedicated funds to studying it.

I'm not sure if you actually read the link you presented, but Bill Clinton had nothing to do with the program except making it easier to have it declassified. The program in question was conducted during the latter stage of the Cold War and most likely only in response to the rumors of the Soviet Union pursuing a similar agenda.

These are well-known facts now. The program obviously was a total failure.

on what grounds do you state failure? Bill Clinton did make it easier for declassification but that doesnt mean failure nor abandonment of the project. In fact they recently had a confrence in Las Vegas, Nevada 12-14 May 2006. obvious total failure? you obviously are making wild and unfounded claims. The executive order was for a shift towards openess not just declassifying, your unfounded claims would seem to indicate that the only thing you care about is your pride.

Edited by boggle

on what grounds do you state failure? Bill Clinton did make it easier for declassification but that doesnt mean failure nor abandonment of the project. In fact they recently had a confrence in Las Vegas, Nevada 12-14 May 2006. obvious total failure? you obviously are making wild and unfounded claims. The executive order was for a shift towards openess not just declassifying, your unfounded claims would seem to indicate that the only thing you care about is your pride.

Aside from your attempts to, once again, make this about me personally, the failure is as obvious as what success would have meant for this country. Do you need the complete list of intelligence failures from the last three decades or instances when remote viewing would have been of the utmost importance and yet somehow didn't come through? Perhaps we should start with the Iraqi invasion and the deplorable use of existing intelligence which stated there were no WMD's. Maybe you need to re-examine why Osama bin Laden remains at large, despite being the most hunted man by the world's largest superpower.

At any rate, the program in question was based on research done by Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ, both of whom were later discredited when their research was re-examined and it was determined their successes were due to intentionally or unintentionally passed clues for the remote viewer. None of their experiments have been replicated since, and their other claims to fame in terms of "discovering" Uri Geller have also passed into obscurity.

While I am sure the Church of Scientology revers Puthoff as a prized member, his apparent belief in that religion hasn't helped him in the academic world in proving his parapsychological theories.

Aside from your attempts to, once again, make this about me personally, the failure is as obvious as what success would have meant for this country. Do you need the complete list of intelligence failures from the last three decades or instances when remote viewing would have been of the utmost importance and yet somehow didn't come through? Perhaps we should start with the Iraqi invasion and the deplorable use of existing intelligence which stated there were no WMD's. Maybe you need to re-examine why Osama bin Laden remains at large, despite being the most hunted man by the world's largest superpower.

At any rate, the program in question was based on research done by Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ, both of whom were later discredited when their research was re-examined and it was determined their successes were due to intentionally or unintentionally passed clues for the remote viewer. None of their experiments have been replicated since, and their other claims to fame in terms of "discovering" Uri Geller have also passed into obscurity.

While I am sure the Church of Scientology revers Puthoff as a prized member, his apparent belief in that religion hasn't helped him in the academic world in proving his parapsychological theories.

thanks for your reply, although it would seem beneficial to your cause to have provided that information instead of being vague in your prior post. Anyways, you state:

Aside from your attempts to, once again, make this about me personally

you are the bearer of either vague news or informative at which lead towards a reaction

the failure is as obvious as what success would have meant for this country

The failure can also be misconstrued when examining the obvious for therein lies a possiblity that not all events transpired are truly the truth.

Do you need the complete list of intelligence failures from the last three decades or instances when remote viewing would have been of the utmost importance and yet somehow didn't come through?

well of course this would also depend if that the need is really a need at all and also depending if all of the facts being presented is in indeed facts.

Perhaps we should start with the Iraqi invasion and the deplorable use of existing intelligence which stated there were no WMD's

how do you truly know based from your standpoint that this was not intentional?

Maybe you need to re-examine why Osama bin Laden remains at large

perhaps you need to re-examine whether or not Osama bin Laden really is an integral link towards 9/11, ever consider that?

the program in question was based on research done by Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ,

good at least you did more than just hypothesize the events that transpired before and after 9/11--premeditated.

Russell Targ is a physicist and author who was a pioneer in the development of the laser, and cofounder of the Stanford Research Institute's investigation into psychic abilities in the 1970s and 1980s.

He most recently authored Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness. He is co-author of Mind Reach: Scientists Look at Psychic Abilities; The Mind Race: Understanding and Using Psychic Abilities; Miracles of Mind: Remote Viewing and Spiritual Healing.

Richard Bach of Jonathan Livingston Seagull fame, who served as a subject, writes: "It's too late now to burn their files; what they've found is already being duplicated and expanded in laboratories around the world. As I am coming to know more of the powers that I have, so are thousands of others, so will the readers of this book."

this doesnt seem to indicate total failure but that could be just my opinion which happens to agree with Richard Bach. Notice the following:

As The New York Times wrote, in an editorial quoting in part from Nature's editors: "The scientific community has been put on notice 'that there is something worthy of their attention and scrutiny' in the possibilities of extra-sensory perception."

i will respond more to this but at this time i need to go into town, i'll be back to respond more in due time.

Voted "Yes".

Think there's a natural process for much of it. Molecules get excited, energy is transfered long distances quickly... like a radio, recieved and translated. Or accupuncture on a "ether" grid like "charges" on the geo grids.

thanks for your reply, although it would seem beneficial to your cause to have provided that information instead of being vague in your prior post.

I did not realize the extent to which some current events needed to be explained or invoked in an age where practically everyone receives news instantly, as it happens.

The failure can also be misconstrued when examining the obvious for therein lies a possiblity that not all events transpired are truly the truth.

Multiplication of entities. You are introducing a new theory to account for why your previous one failed and, along with it, bringing in an entirely new set of questions. Are we back to the government is keeping everything under wraps, damn them? If it were conclusively shown this were not so, and I think current administration shows how woefully far from an efficient government able to keep such secrets is from reality, would the next explanation involve some kind of shadow government?

well of course this would also depend if that the need is really a need at all and also depending if all of the facts being presented is in indeed facts.

More multiplication of entities. Where's my Occam's razor? I feel a shave coming on.

how do you truly know based from your standpoint that this was not intentional?

Best guess judgment based on available data. Do you have data not available which you will share?

perhaps you need to re-examine whether or not Osama bin Laden really is an integral link towards 9/11, ever consider that?

I think his videotaped admission of responsibility pretty much addresses that.

good at least you did more than just hypothesize the events that transpired before and after 9/11--premeditated.

Russell Targ is a physicist and author who was a pioneer in the development of the laser, and cofounder of the Stanford Research Institute's investigation into psychic abilities in the 1970s and 1980s.

He most recently authored Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness. He is co-author of Mind Reach: Scientists Look at Psychic Abilities; The Mind Race: Understanding and Using Psychic Abilities; Miracles of Mind: Remote Viewing and Spiritual Healing.

Richard Bach of Jonathan Livingston Seagull fame, who served as a subject, writes: "It's too late now to burn their files; what they've found is already being duplicated and expanded in laboratories around the world. As I am coming to know more of the powers that I have, so are thousands of others, so will the readers of this book."

this doesnt seem to indicate total failure but that could be just my opinion which happens to agree with Richard Bach. Notice the following:

As The New York Times wrote, in an editorial quoting in part from Nature's editors: "The scientific community has been put on notice 'that there is something worthy of their attention and scrutiny' in the possibilities of extra-sensory perception."

i will respond more to this but at this time i need to go into town, i'll be back to respond more in due time.

Odd how none of their research has been replicable. Echoes of Pons and Fleischmann?