Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vaccinations at Birth can Help

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

Vaccines at birth a possibility  

Agents could be added to vaccines to boost the immune response
A study has shown that vaccinating newborn babies might be possible.
Currently, most immunisations are given to babies at two months of age because they are unable to mount an immune response to the majority of vaccines.

But US scientists have found a way to stimulate an immune response in newborns, following the discovery of a type of molecule present at birth.

The team, writing in the journal Blood, say infant mortality could be reduced if babies are vaccinated at birth.

Newborn babies have an immature immune system. This, coupled with their reduced response to most vaccines, leaves very young babies vulnerable to infections.

We believe we have stumbled across the molecular holy grail of neonatal immunology

Dr Ofer Levy, lead researcher

But immunologists from the Children's Hospital, Boston, say they have found a molecule, called Toll-like receptor 8, which could be stimulated to boost immune responses and enable vaccination.

First defence

Toll-like receptors, or TLRs, are found on the surface of certain types of white blood cells, and are the first line of defence against infection.

They detect the presence of invading bacteria and viruses, and trigger the production of cytokines, a type of protein, that cause other immune cells to mount a defence against infection.

Babies, like adults, have 10 kinds of TLRs, but unlike in adults, most, when stimulated, do not trigger this kind of immune response.

This, according to the researchers, could be an evolutionary factor, whereby a baby's immune system is inactivated during pregnancy so as to prevent attacking its mother's.

However, the researchers discovered that one of the TLRs, TLR-8, was an exception and could be stimulated by several compounds to produce an immune response.

Dr Ofer Levy, lead researcher on the study and an immunologist from Harvard Medical School, said: "These are exactly the kinds of responses you need to get good vaccine responses."

New vaccines

These compounds could perhaps given to babies alongside vaccines, he said, to boost the neonatal vaccine response, thereby enabling vaccination of newborns.

"We believe we have stumbled across the molecular holy grail of neonatal immunology."

His team will now carry out further studies to test this possibility in animals and eventually in babies.

He said his findings could have real practical benefits.

"In the Western world we tend to vaccinate babies at two, four and six months - this means that we leave a window of susceptibility," said Dr Levy.

"If we could come up with a way to get the system to work at birth, then you would close that window of susceptibility."

From a global health perspective, he said, there is evidence that babies in the developing world have the highest rate of contact with the healthcare system at birth, compared to the rest of their childhoods.

"And if a vaccine could be given at birth, you will achieve better vaccine coverage rates," he said.

But Adam Finn, professor of paediatrics from Bristol University, said it was too early to say whether this research could change vaccination.

"This is an interesting observation about one aspect of a baby's immune system that appears to work quite well and which could, theoretically, be exploited to make vaccines more effective in the future," said Professor Finn.

"But it is important to remember that it is a preliminary observation."

Link

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#2    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

I'd pass they don't know enough for my tastes, vaccinations tamper with the immune system...In theory its a great idea vaccinations but in reality it hasn't been studied enough the only studies are the ones form years back in england there is no long term studies or funding beyond the clinical trials that are needed to get drugs aproved of...i say after more comprehensive studies medicine is in its infancy many approved drugs end up being recalled the way studies are done is criminal i draw the lines at infants,,...its funny many of the things vaccinated for provide lifelong immunitys  and are no more than a common cold....  Fear is a useful tool here scare the parent into tinkning hte kid will die otherwise yet over nad over its showing that the vaccinations aren't working. other thatn to cause a whle lot of problems......I have seen that myself the chicken pox one what a laugh and I was just speaking wiht a client of mine that is a docotor told me that there is no guarentee they work......they just don't know..........

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

vaccinations tamper with the immune system

By making them better thumbsup.gif

but in reality it hasn't been studied enough the only studies are the ones form years back in england there is no long term studies or funding beyond the clinical trials that are needed to get drugs aproved of

Wow, have you been living in a cave? You must be for such an ignorant statement like that. yes.gif There has been a lot of funding, research and testing on vaccinations.

i say after more comprehensive studies medicine is in its infancy many approved drugs end up being recalled the way studies are done is criminal i draw the lines at infants,,

How are studines criminal? Infant vaccinations will SAVE lives like it said in the article. Ask any doctor.

its funny many of the things vaccinated for provide lifelong immunitys and are no more than a common cold

Hepatitus A B C, Mumps, Rubella, Measles, Whooping Cough, Malaria, Influenza...I think you are wrong thumbsup.gif

Fear is a useful tool here scare the parent into tinkning hte kid will die otherwise yet over nad over its showing that the vaccinations aren't working. other thatn to cause a whle lot of problems......

Why, I thought you were using fear? I won't die if I get Malaria, so I'll pass up the vaccination! Tetanus won't hurt me! No vaccination! Hepatitus? Hmph! Who needs a hepatitus vaccine?

Another ignorant comment from Sherri. Any doctor would disagree. yes.gif

I have seen that myself the chicken pox one what a laugh and I was just speaking wiht a client of mine that is a docotor told me that there is no guarentee they work......

I thought it worked just dandy...Along with the Hepatitus, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, MRM, Tetanus, etc...

they just don't know..........

Or maybe you just don't know...The whole Medical community against Sherri...Medicine wins!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#4    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

By making them better thumbsup.gif
Wow, have you been living in a cave? You must be for such an ignorant statement like that. yes.gif There has been a lot of funding, research and testing on vaccinations.
How are studines criminal? Infant vaccinations will SAVE lives like it said in the article. Ask any doctor.
Hepatitus A B C, Mumps, Rubella, Measles, Whooping Cough, Malaria, Influenza...I think you are wrong thumbsup.gif
Why, I thought you were using fear? I won't die if I get Malaria, so I'll pass up the vaccination! Tetanus won't hurt me! No vaccination! Hepatitus? Hmph! Who needs a hepatitus vaccine?

Another ignorant comment from Sherri. Any doctor would disagree. yes.gif
I thought it worked just dandy...Along with the Hepatitus, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, MRM, Tetanus, etc...
Or maybe you just don't know...The whole Medical community against Sherri...Medicine wins!

Geez frog if we were to have an outbreak of malaria it would be devastating,  especially in the US where the population hasn't been exposed to this in generations thus having no immunity to it...If the weather continues the way it has been we are looking at the reality of this..

Edited by Sheri berri, 26 April 2006 - 04:38 AM.

#5    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:07 AM

Geez frog if we were to have an outbreak of malaria it would be devastating, especially in the US where the population hasn't been exposed to this in generations thus having no immunity to it...If the weather continues the way it has been we are looking at the reality of this..

In case you are not being sarcastic, this is where vaccines come in thumbsup.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#6    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:15 AM

In case you are not being sarcastic, this is where vaccines come in thumbsup.gif

Frog I'm not being sarcastic if we have an outbreak of malaria vaccine or no vaccine we are in trouble alot of lifes will be lost......and i the way the weather has been lately its looking like a very real possibility ...As americans we haven't been exposed to malaria in generations there  is no immunity.....There is no guarentee with vaccines now thats the truth, a vaccine doens't mean you don't get it  frog.......Geez if our water supply went bad diptheria here we come the vaccine ain't gonna save us....Thats what I'm tryin g to tell you .....any health care person will tell you vaccines aren't a guarentee.....Its a bandaid at best just like the rest of medicine.....

#7    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:54 AM

christ! you two at it again? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ravinar, 27 April 2006 - 04:55 AM.

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#8    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:03 AM

christ! you two at it again? rolleyes.gif

Frog and i are very passionate about our perspectives we actually do like each other really...tell em frog lol.......

#9    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:22 AM

Frog I'm not being sarcastic if we have an outbreak of malaria vaccine or no vaccine we are in trouble alot of lifes will be lost......

Vaccines will SAVE lives here yes.gif

vaccines now thats the truth, a vaccine doens't mean you don't get it frog.......Geez if our water supply went bad diptheria here we come the vaccine ain't gonna save us....Thats what I'm tryin g to tell you .....any health care person will tell you vaccines aren't a guarentee.....Its a bandaid at best just like the rest of medicine.....

Medicine is a bandaid? i thought it was a cure rolleyes.gif Oh silly me!

tell em frog lol

Yep...Just friendly discussion yes.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#10    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:34 AM

Vaccines will SAVE lives here yes.gif
Medicine is a bandaid? i thought it was a cure rolleyes.gif Oh silly me!
Yep...Just friendly discussion yes.gif

What has been a cure refresh my memory frog.....

#11    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

• My Father was raised a Christian, my Mother was raised a Muslim - I was raised a Free Thinker and they're both wrong!

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

Don't vaccinate your kids. Sherri is right - they do nothing but mess with the systems natural ability to heal itself. Pharmaceutical companies make billions by tampering with our kids.

I know of a child who has never been vaccinated in his life and when seen by doctors his parents were told he was the healthiest kid they had ever seen. He has also never been sick.

I don't have kids yet but they will not be getting injected with poisons that aren't properly tested, just to line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies execs.

no.gif

Edited by RedEyeJedi, 28 April 2006 - 12:38 PM.

When you have cut down the last tree and poisoned the last river, you will know that you cannot eat money

God save us from religion!!

It's time to open your eyes and get off your knees

#12    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

No-one is right and no-one is wrong. It is the parents choice whether or not to vaccinate their child. I have no qualms in having my child vaccinated. For me personally I see it as much more of a risk if my son wasn't.
Personally I feel that dangerous and potentially fatal diseases are prevented from spreading by vaccinations.

Edited by Lottie, 28 April 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#13    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

Don't vaccinate your kids. Sherri is right - they do nothing but mess with the systems natural ability to heal itself. Pharmaceutical companies make billions by tampering with our kids.

I know of a child who has never been vaccinated in his life and when seen by doctors his parents were told he was the healthiest kid they had ever seen. He has also never been sick.

I don't have kids yet but they will not be getting injected with poisons that aren't properly tested, just to line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies execs.

no.gif

You met my son huh Just kidding..i actually have a 8 year old boy who has never been seriously ill ever  he is eight years and he just recently lost his first baby tooth he is somewhat of a example at the doctors and denist we too were told the same thing he is very healthy , We actually go to the docotrs when we are well not sick lol..Also a baby that is breast fed will get all the things the mother has an immunity too and it really is true...
I can't tell people what to do i say research for yourself look at it from all sides i too am very bothered that the long term research is non existant and that its little babies immune systems they tamper with but as parents we each have to make our own choices as Lottie says........But I also don't suport the fast food industry i think they  serve garbage and I don't kill animals or support the destruction of the rain forest or child slave labor......I feel as a consumer i put my money where my mouth is..but thats me not everyone else feels as I do......lol

Edited by Sheri berri, 28 April 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#14    najaesouljah

najaesouljah

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

• Faith is the belief in things unseen.

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Well I am 21 yr. and I have had all of my vaccinations.  I was never sick as a child.  And as an adult I very rarely get sick.  I'm not against the decision not giving your children vaccines.  But if I turned out o.k. then I guess they really couldn't hurt.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15    Kahrie

Kahrie

*The Strange One*

• 1,136 posts

• born to be annoying

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

You met my son huh Just kidding..i actually have a 8 year old boy who has never been seriously ill ever  he is eight years and he just recently lost his first baby tooth he is somewhat of a example at the doctors and denist we too were told the same thing he is very healthy , We actually go to the docotrs when we are well not sick lol..Also a baby that is breast fed will get all the things the mother has an immunity too and it really is true...
I can't tell people what to do i say research for yourself look at it from all sides i too am very bothered that the long term research is non existant and that its little babies immune systems they tamper with but as parents we each have to make our own choices as Lottie says........But I also don't suport the fast food industry i think they  serve garbage and I don't kill animals or support the destruction of the rain forest or child slave labor......I feel as a consumer i put my money where my mouth is..but thats me not everyone else feels as I do......lol

didn't you say in an earlier thread that your son was home-schooled etc i think that's the reason why your son is 'healthy'  hmm.gif

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users