Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What have YOU found?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    MoJo88

MoJo88

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

I thought it would be cool to see what members here at UM have come across.

I live in Cleburne, Texas, which some of you may know is only a few miles from Glen Rose. Glen Rose is the city in which many dinosaur fossils and tracks have been found, and it is in a rock shipment from that town that I found the most incredible thing ever: A two foot Mosasaur Skull. You may also know that Texas used to be underwater, hence the discovery of fosilized shells, fish, and larger sea predators... Unfortunately, I found the skull on my father's boss' property, so it belongs to him... And since the two of them have since parted ways in a nasty fashion, I doubt I'll ever get to see it again.

I work at GameStop here in the States and have had the pleasure of meeting a few interesting people. Luckily, one of them happened to be a palaeontologist. I gave him a few snapshots, and he's the one who returned several days after consulting his coleagues declaring it a mosasaur. The mosasaur is considered by many to be T-REX of the ocean, although you Megladon buffs out there might disagree.

I do not have a picture of the one I found because I am currently without a scanner, but in case you are wondering, below are a few pictures of a Mosasaur skull/tooth/what it may have looked like/etc.

So, what have you found, and where?

Attached Files

Edited by MoJo88, 25 April 2006 - 07:36 PM.

#2    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Its most likely you found the skull of a small mosasaur, not one of the giants like Kronosaurus, Tylosaurus, or Liopleurodon.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#3    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

So, what have you found, and where?

Sadly, nothing but Petoskey stones and the odd fossilized shell. The terrain where I live (northern Michigan) was largely pulverized by glaciers during the various ice ages and I doubt many large specimens survived. However, Petoskey stones are somewhat interesting, I suppose. They are found only in northern Michigan, and are in fact the state stone. The things are so common that you can wander around in virtually any stony area and find at least one. The stones are sometimes polished and sold to tourists (at an outrageous fee, of course) because of their unique texture. This arises because they are not stones per se, but rather fossilized coral.

Here is an image of several polished stones. Note that they are normally found in irregular, stony lumps, with one or more sides covered in "eyes."

http://fossilrocks.homestead.com/7stones1.jpg

The Petoskey stone predates even the dinosaurs. They were formed in the Devonian period of the Paleozoic era, roughly 350 MYA.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Down the valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

#4    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

Its most likely you found the skull of a small mosasaur, not one of the giants like Kronosaurus, Tylosaurus, or Liopleurodon.

Tylosaurus is indeed an enormous mosasaur, but kronosaurus and liopleurodon are pliosaurs - short-necked plesiosaurs.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#5    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

kronosaurus and liopleurodon are pliosaurs

My mistake...I don't know how that slipped my mind...

Nothing much in SE Michigan...Well, nothing at all.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#6    MoJo88

MoJo88

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Pilgrim_Shadow)
Sadly, nothing but Petoskey stones and the odd fossilized shell. The terrain where I live (northern Michigan) was largely pulverized by glaciers during the various ice ages and I doubt many large specimens survived. However, Petoskey stones are somewhat interesting, I suppose. They are found only in northern Michigan, and are in fact the state stone. The things are so common that you can wander around in virtually any stony area and find at least one. The stones are sometimes polished and sold to tourists (at an outrageous fee, of course) because of their unique texture. This arises because they are not stones per se, but rather fossilized coral.

Here is an image of several polished stones. Note that they are normally found in irregular, stony lumps, with one or more sides covered in "eyes."

http://fossilrocks.homestead.com/7stones1.jpg

The Petoskey stone predates even the dinosaurs. They were formed in the Devonian period of the Paleozoic era, roughly 350 MYA.

-Pilgrim

That's pretty cool. In a way I wish that kind of stuff was as easy to find down here as it is up there. But in the end, I must be satisfied with the rarity of the discoveries, because they tend to be great ones when they pop up.

The last I heard, there was an Apatosaurus found in Glen Rose, and hadrosaurus tracks found in Lake Grapevine. There is also a rumor of a supposed Pterodactyl found in a cave near the Brazos river... Don't know how much weight that one has, though.

Google it if you're interested!

Anyone else?

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,047 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:00 AM

Not sure if any sites are in SE QLD in Oz that I might check out, never heard of one. Sure would be a fun to hunt fossils with my son original.gif
Closest I have is a few aboriginal stone axes.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    MoJo88

MoJo88

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

Not sure if any sites are in SE QLD in Oz that I might check out, never heard of one. Sure would be a fun to hunt fossils with my son original.gif
Closest I have is a few aboriginal stone axes.

That's awesome! That's a bad thing about living in Texas... The only things you'll find from "ancient" civilizations are Civil War/Texas-Mexican war artifacts. I'm really big into past civilizations. My dad has arrowheads dated back to colonial days and earlier, but that's about it...

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,047 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

That's awesome! That's a bad thing about living in Texas... The only things you'll find from "ancient" civilizations are Civil War/Texas-Mexican war artifacts. I'm really big into past civilizations. My dad has arrowheads dated back to colonial days and earlier, but that's about it...

Actually, where I was raised in the Outback, they are just lying around, I have found them in paddocks, creekside and even on the side of the road, mind you, traffic on those roads consists of a single vehicle every few hours - on a busy day.

Texas sounds very cool, a collegue of mine went for a holiday last year. Love to visit one day.

There is a very interesting thread about a pyramid in Gympie in here somewhere, it is not far north from here, I am trying to find out what I can about it. I am sure you would enjoy reading about it.Gympie Pyramid

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    Twisted

Twisted

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

Actually, where I was raised in the Outback, they are just lying around, I have found them in paddocks, creekside and even on the side of the road, mind you, traffic on those roads consists of a single vehicle every few hours - on a busy day.

Texas sounds very cool, a collegue of mine went for a holiday last year. Love to visit one day.

There is a very interesting thread about a pyramid in Gympie in here somewhere, it is not far north from here, I am trying to find out what I can about it. I am sure you would enjoy reading about it.Gympie Pyramid

Found this at the museum thumbsup.gif
I have 80 pics so I'll share a few... I wish I could discover something myself but its hard living in a big city.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#11    Master Sage

Master Sage

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• DRAGONZ!!!!

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

I should go to the city (Philadelphia) and get us sum pics.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12    Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

• I don't need to think just to know that I am.

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

I've only found a few sea shells back when I lived in south Sweden, which was once covered by a sea. A (not very good) pic (since my camera's crap and my table lamp's busted).
In the middle is a very pretty and totally clear piece of amber I found on a beach, also in south Sweden, on the west coast were you usually don't find amber.

Posted Image Life's too short to waste time being normal.

"Right Jamie, for this scene your motivation is your jilted lover. He doesn’t care about you anymore, he’s found a younger thing. And you want to wreck his pride and joy with neat, vertical slices." - Adam

#13    MoJo88

MoJo88

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

I've only found a few sea shells back when I lived in south Sweden, which was once covered by a sea. A (not very good) pic (since my camera's crap and my table lamp's busted).
In the middle is a very pretty and totally clear piece of amber I found on a beach, also in south Sweden, on the west coast were you usually don't find amber.

I thought amber was yellow... angry.gif Damn you lying Jurassic Park bastards!!!! angry.gif

#14    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

I thought amber was yellow... angry.gif Damn you lying Jurassic Park bastards!!!! angry.gif

Amber varies in color depending upon its composition, from pale yellow to dark brownish-black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,

#15    Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

• I don't need to think just to know that I am.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

The amber I have is actually what you could call classic amber orange, it's just the bad light conditions of the photo that makes it look darker. Nevertheless, amber do come in a variety of colours. original.gif

Posted Image Life's too short to waste time being normal.

"Right Jamie, for this scene your motivation is your jilted lover. He doesn’t care about you anymore, he’s found a younger thing. And you want to wreck his pride and joy with neat, vertical slices." - Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users