Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Would Spinosaurus win a fight with T-Rex?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

#121    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the necro-posting,And the T-rex would still win :unsure:

Posted Image

#122    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,238 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

We can't test this, so I'm just going to say that spinosaurus killed a t-rex in Jurassic Park 3. [/thread]

#123    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

View PostPax Unum, on 29 April 2006 - 06:26 PM, said:

Spinosaurus achieved widespread fame as the main antagonist in Jurassic Park III. It is portrayed as larger, more powerful, and more vicious than Tyrannosaurus, epitomized by a scene in which the two resurrected predators battle and Spinosaurus emerges victorious by twisting its opponent's neck.

No such battle could ever have taken place in real life, since Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus lived thousands of miles and tens of millions of years apart.

Aside from the implausibility of the battle itself, it seems unlikely that Spinosaurus could have simply shrugged off a neck bite by Tyrannosaurus, which possessed among the strongest jaws ever known in the animal kingdom.

Spinosaurus did share its habitat with two other theropods that equalled or exceeded T. rex in size: the massive carnosaur Carcharodontosaurus and the large but relatively lightweight abelisaur Deltadromeus.

Although the three gigantic predators probably occupied different ecological niches, they may have occasionally come into conflict over prey or territory.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia....ki/Spinosaurus" target="_blank">Spinosaurus</a>
Posted Image
Spinosaurus was nonetheless significantly larger than T-Rex, therefore has a good chance of kicking it's ass. And it has functional arms.
Whether they overlapped or not is irrelevant.

T-Rex has a strong bite? It can barely reach Spinosaurus' neck!

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#124    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:51 AM

View PostUFO_Monster, on 25 May 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

We can't test this, so I'm just going to say that spinosaurus killed a t-rex in Jurassic Park 3. [/thread]
It also destroyed a small plane like it was made out of a wet paper bag,Broke a section of heavilly reinforced fence.Theres a word for things like this,Its called a movie monster :rolleyes:
They are suppose to be portrayed as unstoppable killing machines which is why the writers thought 'hey lets make this thing really cool and make it pull off somthing incredible'.They started a generation of fan boys to assume that this would be the outcome in real life :wacko:

Posted Image

#125    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

View PostDigitalDreamer, on 26 May 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

It also destroyed a small plane like it was made out of a wet paper bag,Broke a section of heavilly reinforced fence.Theres a word for things like this,Its called a movie monster :rolleyes:
They are suppose to be portrayed as unstoppable killing machines which is why the writers thought 'hey lets make this thing really cool and make it pull off somthing incredible'.They started a generation of fan boys to assume that this would be the outcome in real life :wacko:

It's called Hollywood, people, and it is perfectly valid for fiction writers to do this kind of things. They are not trying to make documentaries. Now, those horrid shows in History Channel and Discovery, which are presented as documentaries but show badly rendered animals acting like brainless fighting machines... now THAT shouldnīt happen. I think the only show that actually portrayed dinosaurs as real animals behaving as such was Walking with Dinosaurs, and sadly it is oudated by now.

Anyways, here's my two cents about Spinosaurus vs T-Rex.

We know that they didnīt coexist. We also know they had different habitats (T-Rex being a land-based predator that hunted terrestrial dinosaurs, while Spinosaurus seems to have been a semi-marine dinosaur).
Let's imagine for the sake of the argument that we take a fully grown T-Rex and a fully grown Spinosaurus from their home times, and put them together in a Jurassic Park-like ecosystem.
Because of their respective adaptations, both dinos would probably behave and fill the same niches they did in their home times. Spinosaurus would move towards water, preferably the coast, while T-Rex would probably prefer dry land and feed on land dwelling dinos.
But let's imagine that one day the T-Rex and Spino meet. What happens?

I imagine they would both be wary of each other. T-Rex does hunt huge hadrosaurs and ceratopsians, but it isnīt used to facing any other giant theropods. There seemingly were no giant theropods other than T-Rex during the latter's time.
Spinosaurus on the other hand coexisted with Carcharodontosaurus and Deltadromeus, two giant predators about the size of T-Rex, so it is probably well adapted to deal with them in case it encounters one.
I can imagine the Spinosaurus rearing to its full height, or maybe (more likely) standing sideways towards the T-Rex so that the sail (which would act as a stabilizer underwater IMO, practically like a dorsal sail) adds to its apparent size and makes it look fiercer and bigger.
It would probably hiss or do whatever sound Spinos did, showing off its teeth to intimidate the T-Rex.

The T-Rex would be curious at first, but it isnīt used to seeing such strange, big creature in an aggressive mode like this. It launches a half-hearted charge at the Spino just to test it; the Spino immediatly snaps its jaws, or perhaps slashes at the air with its claws.
The T-Rex decides that it's seen enough. It walks away and leaves the Spino alone.

It's all speculation but its the image that makes more sense in my mind. Animals are not the brutish fighting machines History Channel portrays them as; they usually prefer to avoid confrontations, especially if it is against animals larger than themselves. It doesnīt mean that T-Rex would be unable to kill the Spino; but in modern times, lions and tigers, despite being able to kill rhinos and elephants, prefer to stay away from them. Size and loud noise is usually enough for large beasts to keep enemies away, and folks, let's accept it, a fully grown Spino was larger than T-Rex by a wide margin.

Also, I believe people underestimates Spino. Fanboys compare it to gharials way too often, and seem to forget that Spinosaurus was ENORMOUS. Even with comparatively slender jaws and teeth it would be a formidable creature. Donīt believe me? The False Gharial of southeastern Asia was believed to be a harmless fish eater because of its slender snout, yet in 2008 one of them killed and ate a man, and the species is now known to include deer and other large animals in their diet.
Yes, it has slender jaws, but it is also huge, so it can eat anything it wants. This doesnīt mean it could outmatch T-Rex; I donīt believe that. But I do believe fanboys underestimate it, and that it could eat a lot more than just fish.

Just my opinion, anyways.

"He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed"

Albert Einstein

#126    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:12 AM

spino was a fisherman.  t-rex was a hunter.  i think t-rex has the upper hand.  he is able to bite off a hundred pounds at a time.  where as spino can hold on forever.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#127    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

Its childish to even assume that Tyrannosarus wouldn't win,I pitty the person who thinks that Jurassic Park 3 was realistic :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#128    Akito Kinomoto

Akito Kinomoto

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostDrakester, on 28 May 2011 - 11:50 PM, said:

Also, I believe people underestimates Spino. Fanboys compare it to gharials way too often, and seem to forget that Spinosaurus was ENORMOUS. Even with comparatively slender jaws and teeth it would be a formidable creature. Don´t believe me? The False Gharial of southeastern Asia was believed to be a harmless fish eater because of its slender snout, yet in 2008 one of them killed and ate a man, and the species is now known to include deer and other large animals in their diet.
Yes, it has slender jaws, but it is also huge, so it can eat anything it wants. This doesn´t mean it could outmatch T-Rex; I don´t believe that. But I do believe fanboys underestimate it, and that it could eat a lot more than just fish.
False Gharials =/= Gharials and therapod skulls =/= crocodilian skulls. The False Gharial's best comparison is Sarcosuchus Imperator.

#129    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostDrakester, on 28 May 2011 - 11:50 PM, said:

It's called Hollywood, people, and it is perfectly valid for fiction writers to do this kind of things. They are not trying to make documentaries. Now, those horrid shows in History Channel and Discovery, which are presented as documentaries but show badly rendered animals acting like brainless fighting machines... now THAT shouldn´t happen. I think the only show that actually portrayed dinosaurs as real animals behaving as such was Walking with Dinosaurs, and sadly it is oudated by now.

Anyways, here's my two cents about Spinosaurus vs T-Rex.

We know that they didn´t coexist. We also know they had different habitats (T-Rex being a land-based predator that hunted terrestrial dinosaurs, while Spinosaurus seems to have been a semi-marine dinosaur).
Let's imagine for the sake of the argument that we take a fully grown T-Rex and a fully grown Spinosaurus from their home times, and put them together in a Jurassic Park-like ecosystem.
Because of their respective adaptations, both dinos would probably behave and fill the same niches they did in their home times. Spinosaurus would move towards water, preferably the coast, while T-Rex would probably prefer dry land and feed on land dwelling dinos.
But let's imagine that one day the T-Rex and Spino meet. What happens?

I imagine they would both be wary of each other. T-Rex does hunt huge hadrosaurs and ceratopsians, but it isn´t used to facing any other giant theropods. There seemingly were no giant theropods other than T-Rex during the latter's time.
Spinosaurus on the other hand coexisted with Carcharodontosaurus and Deltadromeus, two giant predators about the size of T-Rex, so it is probably well adapted to deal with them in case it encounters one.
I can imagine the Spinosaurus rearing to its full height, or maybe (more likely) standing sideways towards the T-Rex so that the sail (which would act as a stabilizer underwater IMO, practically like a dorsal sail) adds to its apparent size and makes it look fiercer and bigger.
It would probably hiss or do whatever sound Spinos did, showing off its teeth to intimidate the T-Rex.

The T-Rex would be curious at first, but it isn´t used to seeing such strange, big creature in an aggressive mode like this. It launches a half-hearted charge at the Spino just to test it; the Spino immediatly snaps its jaws, or perhaps slashes at the air with its claws.
The T-Rex decides that it's seen enough. It walks away and leaves the Spino alone.

It's all speculation but its the image that makes more sense in my mind. Animals are not the brutish fighting machines History Channel portrays them as; they usually prefer to avoid confrontations, especially if it is against animals larger than themselves. It doesn´t mean that T-Rex would be unable to kill the Spino; but in modern times, lions and tigers, despite being able to kill rhinos and elephants, prefer to stay away from them. Size and loud noise is usually enough for large beasts to keep enemies away, and folks, let's accept it, a fully grown Spino was larger than T-Rex by a wide margin.

Also, I believe people underestimates Spino. Fanboys compare it to gharials way too often, and seem to forget that Spinosaurus was ENORMOUS. Even with comparatively slender jaws and teeth it would be a formidable creature. Don´t believe me? The False Gharial of southeastern Asia was believed to be a harmless fish eater because of its slender snout, yet in 2008 one of them killed and ate a man, and the species is now known to include deer and other large animals in their diet.
Yes, it has slender jaws, but it is also huge, so it can eat anything it wants. This doesn´t mean it could outmatch T-Rex; I don´t believe that. But I do believe fanboys underestimate it, and that it could eat a lot more than just fish.

Just my opinion, anyways.

Necro post i know, but gee-wiz you are quite the opinionated lil dude aren't ya? :innocent:

Posted Image

#130    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

#131    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,382 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostDigitalDreamer, on 18 March 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Necro post i know, but gee-wiz you are quite the opinionated lil dude aren't ya? :innocent:
You have quoted a member who hasn't been active on this site for almost two years.

This thread is over 8 years old. Should anyone wish to start a new one, feel free to do so.

*Topic Closed*

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users