Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Photography

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#31    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

I love photography. I'm a bit old fashioned, whilst I love my digital camera I still think film is the best medium. Developing black and white prints in a dark room is just great fun. The way the image begins to appear on a blank sheet of paper still strikes me as being close to magic (and I'm a chemist).

I've put a few of my pictures in the member photography album of the multimedia gallery. Some of them are from a trip to Kenya I made in 2004.

So far there are 9 but I will add some more later. Any honest comments and constructive criticism would be more than welcome.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#32    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

Yay looking forward to seeing them. original.gif
And thank you!  Actually i forgot one, it's just another sunset one though. I think next time i'll go out when the day is a little younger. laugh.gif

Good eye for a photo BurnSide.  Out of curiosity though, what make/model is the camera?  Not a criticism, but I can't help thinking your focus is soft - not sure if this is a camera setting?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#33    jonb

jonb

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• aaaaaaaaaaargghhhhh!

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:10 AM

some nice photos in here! good to see some nice creativity.

i have some shots, i havent been doing much recently as theres not much around here but most recent ones i guess ive been doing some close up shots of insects in the garden, pretty hard because you have such a tiny depth of focus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...insectthing.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...eeeeeeeeeee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...it/DSC_0770.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...it/DSC_0790.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...it/DSC_0800.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...it/DSC_0836.jpg

and some random ones, i wish i had ascanner to put in some of the long exposure shots at night on film i have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...DSC_0299-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/deathvomit/evil.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea..._DSC0141-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/dea...it/DSC_9980.jpg

#34    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:19 AM

Nice photos jonb. I love the insect close-ups.

Is the cat always that angry?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#35    ShadowDancer

ShadowDancer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

• I used to have superhuman powers...... But my therapist took them all away.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

I took this last week-end. I like the picture but the color of the water is kind of gross. lol
user posted image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Love me without fear, Trust me without questioning, Need me without demanding, Want me without restrictions,Accept me without change, Desire me without inhibitions." - Dick Sutphen

#36    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

I must sort out a decent online gallery one day, but for now a few piccies can be found on one of my websites

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#37    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hey jonb, nice insect pics! What are the settings on you camera for those?

That moon photo got me thinking...I should post my Astrphotography CCD images...Currently I am having some trouble with the camera...so as soon as it get warmer here, I'll post them...and take some new pics.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#38    jonb

jonb

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• aaaaaaaaaaargghhhhh!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:50 AM

i wow shadow wolf, those pics are great! I mean to go somwhere to photograph animals once i get a better telephoto lens

frogfish to tell the truth i just take a normal lens and turn it around to the camera the wrong way, it gives the macro effect a lot cheaper original.gif  but you have to hold the lens in place it can be quite awquard.

I love astrophotography, i havent done much of it though as i live near a biggish town which gives some nasty light pullution :s also my shutter release broke in cold weather and lens' getting dew on them ruining the photo is annoying!

Do you use a telescope?

#39    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Jonb...Nice pictures Shadow Wolf

Yes jonb, I use a telescope. I have a 10" Meade LXD 75 Newtonian Refractor and the camera is a Meade DeepSky CCD Imager.

Just through my telescope, I get beautiful views of all the Messier Objects, and much, much more...In the Summer, I spend hours every week outside under the stars.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#40    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:24 AM

Just through my telescope, I get beautiful views of all the Messier Objects, and much, much more...In the Summer, I spend hours every week outside under the stars.

What are the sky conditions like for you? I live on the outskirts of London and I'm lucky if I can see the Milky Way 4 times a year. A city of 7 millions has an awful lot of sodium lamps.

Posted Image
Click on button

#41    jonb

jonb

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• aaaaaaaaaaargghhhhh!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

thats cool, i agree lamps really ruin the sky.. i saw a cheap telescope with camera fitting on ebay a while ago was considering getting it, it could track the movement of the earth aswell which is great.
i also agree that film is the best medium as its free of anything going wrong electronically, and for long exposures there is no image noise. but it got too expensive for me and i never bothered getting film exposed so i went digital. still have an old canon film cam but its a bit dodgy

#42    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

thats cool, i agree lamps really ruin the sky.. i saw a cheap telescope with camera fitting on ebay a while ago was considering getting it, it could track the movement of the earth aswell which is great.
i also agree that film is the best medium as its free of anything going wrong electronically, and for long exposures there is no image noise. but it got too expensive for me and i never bothered getting film exposed so i went digital. still have an old canon film cam but its a bit dodgy

Digital is the way to go for astrophotography; compared to analogue film - even hi ISO such as 1600 - a digicam's CCD/CMOS sensor is an absolute light-bucket.  This allows shorter exposure times (typically 10-15 seconds instead of several minutes); so for wide-sky shots you don't need a driven mount, and you don't get so much excess of sodium glow from streetlights.  If we can get a decent moonless clear night (I know its working out wrong in the lunar cycle!) it'd be well worth trying to capture Comet P73/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 with a tripod mounted camera and standard lens.

#43    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

jonb those are gorgeous!  
ShadowDancer I like that pic you took even with the color of the water.

Here's a few more from England and two from Tennessee:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Oh, also there was a flood here in Arkansas and these pictures of this truck caught in water I took made it on the local news!  Always have your camera!!
Click here to see the flood pics on my webpage

Edited by coldethyl, 11 May 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#44    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

Good eye for a photo BurnSide.  Out of curiosity though, what make/model is the camera?  Not a criticism, but I can't help thinking your focus is soft - not sure if this is a camera setting?

Yes, i do feel alot of my work is ruined because i'm not using the camera correctly.
I'm not sure exactly what it is because i don't have it on me, but i *know* that something is going wrong on it. My night pictures never come out at all, and they're nearly always blurry.
Forgive me but i do remain woefully ignorant since i'm pretty much an amateur with a camera who likes taking pictures. I'm sure i'll be able to bring up a manual online or something. It's second-hand, see. Just a small digital, not really completely fit to be taking landscape images.

I'll find out what it is and get back to the thread.

Amazing pictures guys, thank you all for sharing. This is fast becoming my favourite topic, there's so much beauty in it. original.gif

#45    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

Yeah I wish I knew more about photography.  I just have a little Fuji digital camera and I take pictures of what I like.  I do always have it with me though.  It was a birthday pressie and I have gotten more use out of it than any other pressie ever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users