Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mapusaurus vs Giganotosaurus

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

Frogfish, do you have Asperger's Syndrome?

Probably not...since my parents are both doctors (dad's a neurologist), they probably would of found out by now yes.gif

Edited by frogfish, 18 July 2006 - 08:24 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#17    ArgenVert

ArgenVert

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

Frogfish, do you know how big Charcharodontosaurus was? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Posted Image

#18    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

Frogfish, do you know how big Charcharodontosaurus was? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Many of the worlds experts, like Currie, think Carcharodontosaurus was in the range of 45 feet long....a relative of Giganotosaurus

Edited by frogfish, 22 July 2006 - 05:36 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#19    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

• Once known as Sadistic Jellyfish of Doom.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:08 AM

Gigantosaurus

For the last time, its Gigan-O-tosaurus!

hey godzilla does shoot fire i mean comeone thats hard to top. but any way if u lok at thel ink i gave u its fomr wikipedia and the quoute is off the site. i gave so there :^P lol

Well i just Found a good Fact your ya Spino is the Longest yes But jaw size and power No way near Giganotosaurus  Spino's most close's fight it could win is a Carnotaur or a
Allosaur  by the way biggest Means both Size of the body and length of the beast's
i am doing a Jaw test's to Will post soon
                                                                                                                                 http://gavinrymill.com/dinosaurs/carnivores/

Allosaurus Maximus, a subspecies of allosaurus, could grow around 45 feet,

Many of the worlds experts, like Currie, think Carcharodontosaurus was in the range of 45 feet long....a relative of Giganotosaurus

Aye, but one o' my bros books says it was 20 feet. Of course, it also says allosaurus is 15 feet long, so...

Beipiaosaurus
Beipiaosaurus inexpectus

user posted image  
Pronounced: Bay-pee-o-Sore-us
Diet: Carnivore (Meat-Eater)
Name Means: "Beipiao lizard"
Length: 7 feet (2.2 m)
Height: 4 feet (1.3 m)
Weight: 100 pounds (45 kilos)
Time: Early Cretaceous - 130 MYA    

Beipiaosaurus had the longest feathers of any dinosaur yet found. Classified as a meat-eater, it is thought that these dinosaurs would also have fed on insects a great deal of the time. It is considered a bird-like dinosaur and shared a number of features that are now found on modern birds.

Described in 1999, Beipiaosaurus is one of a few known bird-like dinosaurs. It came from the famous shale quarries of Liaoning, China, which are well known for producing many incredibly detailed fossils of small dinosaurs and birds. Most of the bird/dinosaur relationship studies are conducted on specimens from this quarry, as unique ecological conditions preserved even the soft parts of the animals that died at this site. These unusual conditions allowed for the perfect preservation of feathers.

Beipiaosaurus remains are fragmentary, but they do show that it was bipedal like other therizinosaurs and that it had sharp, curved hand claws and protofeathers .

Ah... a therizinosaur. Discovered in China if im not mistaken.

ಠ_ಠ

#20    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Allosaurus Maximus, a subspecies of allosaurus, could grow around 45 feet,

Aye, but one o' my bros books says it was 20 feet. Of course, it also says allosaurus is 15 feet long, so...

That book is WRONG thumbsup.gif

Saurophaganax possibly could of grwn over 50.

Ah... a therizinosaur. Discovered in China if im not mistaken.

...ohmy.gif That post wasn't even in this thread!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#21    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

• Once known as Sadistic Jellyfish of Doom.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:12 AM

That book is WRONG thumbsup.gif

Saurophaganax possibly could of grwn over 50.
...ohmy.gif That post wasn't even in this thread!

I know fishboy! rolleyes.gif

ಠ_ಠ

#22    Dino Dan

Dino Dan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:16 AM

I think its pretty hard to tell on this subject, what was the heaviest, longest, more fierce, lager skull, larger teeth. All in all these theropods were huge eating machines. Maybe some were scavengers and maybe some were hunters, either way i wouldnt want to be in a situation with one.  I also think some of the bigger ones may of been slightly lazier and not as fierce. Being bigger they may of been slower, although size is deffintely intimidating, but i think allosaurus would of been a scarier dinosaur then mapusaurus or giganotosaurus, but scientists really dont know a whole lot as far as their activities, speed and or eating habits.

But if i was to go with the largest carnivore i'd say it would be a toss up for sure between spinosaurus, allosaurus maximus, giganotosaurus and this new mapusaurus.  Currie and Roldofo found this new mapusaurus and they are of the highest credited in the field and they said that the femur of mapusaurus was longer but skinnier than of giganotosaurus. So maybe mapusaurus was lankier but weight was around the same as of giganotosaurus.  All in all these ancient animals are really impressive and very exciting.  thumbsup.gif

#23    fantazum

fantazum

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

I would put my money on Giginatosaurus as it was a wee bit larger and had 7-inch teeth...

The dinosaurs Saurophaganax and Spinosaurus were larger than both...

If the bones of these creatures had not been found I would refuse to believe that such things could possibly have existed. The more we find the wierder these things get.

#24    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

• "hand me the holy hand grenade!!" monty python, search for the holy grail

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:59 AM

Going off topic a WEE bit: Frogfish, do you have Asperger's Syndrome? You know lots about things and have a very logical mind. I have Asperger's Syndrome. Does anyone else have Asperger's Syndrome?

i think it more OCD he is pretty set on that Allosaur. rolleyes.gif

and as to the charchadontasauras, go to paul serenos site, as i recal he discovered it (but i been wrong before)

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#25    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

FIRST OF ALL godzilla DID fight king kong and completely kicked his ass, even though kong grabbed some power cables and learned to shoot electricity. i think it doesn't really matters who was bigger but who was more advanced, cause even if the dinosaur was over 50 feet long, if he was faced with a more cunning but slightly smaller killer, he would've been doomed.

FIRST OF ALL godzilla DID fight king kong and completely kicked his ass, even though kong grabbed some power cables and learned to shoot electricity. i think it doesn't really matters who was bigger but who was more advanced, cause even if the dinosaur was over 50 feet long, if he was faced with a more cunning but slightly smaller killer, he would've been doomed.

P.S. SPINOSAURUS SUCKS!!!!!!!!

#26    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

I think its pretty hard to tell on this subject, what was the heaviest, longest, more fierce, lager skull, larger teeth. All in all these theropods were huge eating machines. Maybe some were scavengers and maybe some were hunters, either way i wouldnt want to be in a situation with one.  I also think some of the bigger ones may of been slightly lazier and not as fierce. Being bigger they may of been slower, although size is deffintely intimidating, but i think allosaurus would of been a scarier dinosaur then mapusaurus or giganotosaurus, but scientists really dont know a whole lot as far as their activities, speed and or eating habits.
But if i was to go with the largest carnivore i'd say it would be a toss up for sure between spinosaurus, allosaurus maximus, giganotosaurus and this new mapusaurus.  Currie and Roldofo found this new mapusaurus and they are of the highest credited in the field and they said that the femur of mapusaurus was longer but skinnier than of giganotosaurus. So maybe mapusaurus was lankier but weight was around the same as of giganotosaurus.  All in all these ancient animals are really impressive and very exciting.  thumbsup.gif

Geez, you have been out of it for a couple of years.  The new spinosaur is about a third bigger than all known Theropods.  The skull is over six feet, and the whole creature estimated to over at around 60 feet.  I bet it will be a long time before any larger carnosaur is found, unless it is another spino.

Spino is now the king.  Jurassic park III was ahead of its time.

#27    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

there are very few spinosaur fossils, and considering that w have only scratched the surface of paleontology and there still may be a larger dinosaur. but giganotosaurus was the biggest hands down. spinosaur may be that longest but not the largest. these are often mistaken. and since this debate is about size NOT length giganotosaurus is the largest.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#28    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

there are very few spinosaur fossils, and considering that w have only scratched the surface of paleontology and there still may be a larger dinosaur. but giganotosaurus was the biggest hands down. spinosaur may be that longest but not the largest. these are often mistaken. and since this debate is about size NOT length giganotosaurus is the largest.

The latest Spinosaur also has the largest skull of any Carnosaur, over six feet long.  It is a third larger than Giganotosaurus.  Are you getting this stuff from cartoons, or what?   Yes a larger carnivorous dinosaur may be found, but NOTHING else comes close to the latest spino.  And the original spino, destroyed in Berlin and still larger than any of the rest, was only a Juvenile as the bones revealed!

#29    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

just cause i like spongebob! tongue.gif just kidding. no, I recently read an article (last night) that said that spinosaurus was the largest, showed scale pictures and all that. and really it is, but only bcause it ways the same as giganotosaurus nut is still longer, so i quess i was right, a little tongue.gif

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#30    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

just cause i like spongebob! tongue.gif just kidding. no, I recently read an article (last night) that said that spinosaurus was the largest, showed scale pictures and all that. and really it is, but only bcause it ways the same as giganotosaurus nut is still longer, so i quess i was right, a little tongue.gif

How are you right, "even a little"?  The weights most be largely speculation though I agree Spino may not be as bulky.  But even this is not confirmed because of the rarity of the fossils.  But it is a fact that the latest Spino skull is the largest carnosaur skull ever found, and the complete animal may have been over sixty feet.  Large males of many reptile species really bulk out once they are full adults.  Right now, ALL of the scientific evidence says Spino is the biggest, but I agree a new, bigger theropod could be found tomorrow.

But with most "conventional Theropods hovering around 45 feet, I feel that's pretty much the largest they commonly grow.  Spino is a very different animal, and may grow bigger because it has characteristics that suggest it was largely situated around the water, like crocodiles.  Spino and Charco may have coexisted because they occupied different ecological niches.  Though like a crocodile, Spino still could have hunted far from water, but water may have been a preferred habitat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users