Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bush: Diplomacy Best Immediate Course

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

WASHINGTON, May 9, 2006 – Diplomacy is the best way to confront Iran's nuclear program, but President Bush said today in Sun City Center, Fla., he won't rule out other options if that falls through.

"We will continue to work through diplomatic channels to make it clear that we mean what we say," Bush said in response to a question posed during his visit to the sprawling retirement community to discuss the Medicare prescription drug benefit. "And obviously, part of making the diplomacy work is what will be the consequences if the Iranians decide not to listen to the rational demands of the world."

Bush avoided spelling out exactly what those consequences could be. "I think it's very important for good negotiators to keep their cards close to the vest and at the appropriate time, make it clear what our intentions are," he said.

The best way to lay "the foundation for peace," regarding Iraq and other world situations, is to encourage the spread of freedom, the president said. "The cornerstone of my foreign policy is the belief that freedom is universal," he said.

"Freedom has changed the world in incredible ways," the president said, noting the impact it's had on Japan, Europe and other parts of the world that once lived under tyranny. "Freedom has the capacity to change enemies into friends," he said. "We must not lose sight of the historical examples."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice addressed the Iran issue yesterday after meeting with British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in New York and before meeting with her counterparts from Britain, Russia, China, France, Germany and the European Union to discuss Iran.

"This is a time for the international community to come together to say to the Iranians with very great clarity that it is time for Iran to accede to the demands of the international community." Rice said. "The Iranians can have a civil nuclear program, but they need to do so in a way that gives confidence to the international community that they are not seeking a nuclear weapon under the cover of civilian nuclear power."
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, this is good news.  thumbsup.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

• My Father was raised a Christian, my Mother was raised a Muslim - I was raised a Free Thinker and they're both wrong!

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:17 PM

Well, this is good news.  thumbsup.gif
A start towards diplomacy would be to answer Ahmadinejad's letter.

I bet it's not good news for Bush. He's probably fuming. He had no choice after the letter, which he has to ignore and pretend it never happened.

When you have cut down the last tree and poisoned the last river, you will know that you cannot eat money

God save us from religion!!

It's time to open your eyes and get off your knees

#3    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

A start towards diplomacy would be to answer Ahmadinejad's letter.

I bet it's not good news for Bush. He's probably fuming. He had no choice after the letter, which he has to ignore and pretend it never happened.

laugh.gif That is pretty funny to say...

U.S. says it will seek resolution on Iran

April 28, 2006:

Bush said Friday that he was consulting with allies. "Diplomacy is my first choice and should be the first choice of any president," he added.

whistling2.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#4    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

becuase Ahmadinejad's basicaly out manoeuvered bush very well.  Bush will have to respond like the nice decent, honest god faring american most brainwashed fanatics beleive him to be.  Redeye's right, bush and fellow war mongers will be going absolutely mental, Ahmadinejad's quite a cheeky guy, i liked it when he refered to bush as his Excellency, lol.

Edited by PLO, 09 May 2006 - 11:39 PM.

www.oilempire.us  www.killinghope.org

#5    Watzel

Watzel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:36 AM

I really have lost all hope that you, PLO, RedEyeJedi and Sanjuro can salvage what's left of your brains.

You just can't see how clearly insane the Iranian president is when you read his letter?  wacko.gif

Everyone here in the US is now convinced that he is in the Twilight Zone, it is all over the news that he is quite out of his head.  But you and the Iranian president think that it was some kind of profound letter that our politicians can only stand in awe over.  I don't like to be mean, and I'm really not trying to be, but you guys seriously need to seek help.  You are way out of touch with reality.  

Sad how delusional people can be when they really want to believe something.  hmm.gif

#6    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:18 AM

What Bush is saying between the lines is that Iran isn't anywhere near as close to the capablility of producing a nuclear weapon as the media has played it up to be.

So...the issue is now Iran...and the whole process begins again...diplomacy, diplomacy, diplomacy...and in the end...diplomacy will fail...and when it does...as Afghanastan and Iraq went...so goes Iran....

....next diplomatic effort:  Syria!

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#7    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:23 AM

It'll fail becuase bush will allow it to fail.  I mean, what part of the letter did anyone actually disagre with?

syria a diplomatic effort?, america's already had a few run in battle with syrian forces.  They do stray pretty close to that border.

#8    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,145 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:37 AM

I really have lost all hope that you, PLO, RedEyeJedi and Sanjuro can salvage what's left of your brains.

You just can't see how clearly insane the Iranian president is when you read his letter?  wacko.gif

Everyone here in the US is now convinced that he is in the Twilight Zone, it is all over the news that he is quite out of his head.  But you and the Iranian president think that it was some kind of profound letter that our politicians can only stand in awe over.  I don't like to be mean, and I'm really not trying to be, but you guys seriously need to seek help.  You are way out of touch with reality.  
Sad how delusional people can be when they really want to believe something.  hmm.gif

Thank you, well said.  I've always thought they needed more fiber in thier diet.

Posted Image

#9    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

nobody want to explain what they dissagreed with about the letter though?, nope?, no takers? care to point out the "insanity" of the letter watzel?

#10    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

• My Father was raised a Christian, my Mother was raised a Muslim - I was raised a Free Thinker and they're both wrong!

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

I know - this shows the state of affairs pretty well. If it is true that the media are all saying Ahmadinejad has lost his mind, and you believe that.... well, there's nothing more I can say.

What do you disagree with in the letter?? What parts would you consider crazy rantings?? Have you read it? or just what the reaction is? the paraphrasing out of context, etc? Please tell me - I want to understand where you are coming from.

When you have cut down the last tree and poisoned the last river, you will know that you cannot eat money

#11    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

I disagree with Most of the letter.  Last night, I wrote about it for about 2 hours and realized I had only gotten through half of the first page.

It drips with bullstuffing and I'm still not convinced it wasn't written by Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore.

You know, that just gave me a thought.... it might be faster to only write about what I Agree with in the letter.  Might only take a couple minutes.

Anyway, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that this was a "convert or die" letter and I've a hunch this is the kind of diplomacy Arafat enjoyed.

Like he wasn't the guy standing next to the hostage in the picture.  If the pres of Iran really says he wrote this, does he think the American people forgot who he is, his past and recent rhetoric and actions? Does he think we're that stupid? (going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does) It's insulting.

#12    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

Celumnaz: The letter was written by the evil pinko liberal muslim wet back commies that want to destroy the proud USA. The ones how discriminate you every day. You must combat them!!!!

tongue.gif....... a little more and you will be sounding like Joc...

Iīm an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#13    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

"going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does"

What rhetoric?

#14    RedEyeJedi

RedEyeJedi

Psychic Spy

• 1,227 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

I disagree with Most of the letter.  Last night, I wrote about it for about 2 hours and realized I had only gotten through half of the first page.

It drips with bullstuffing and I'm still not convinced it wasn't written by Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore.

You know, that just gave me a thought.... it might be faster to only write about what I Agree with in the letter.  Might only take a couple minutes.

Anyway, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that this was a "convert or die" letter and I've a hunch this is the kind of diplomacy Arafat enjoyed.

Like he wasn't the guy standing next to the hostage in the picture.  If the pres of Iran really says he wrote this, does he think the American people forgot who he is, his past and recent rhetoric and actions? Does he think we're that stupid? (going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does) It's insulting.

Wow! How you you guys be thinking this is a message to convert to Islam before he launches an attack? He's talking about the insanity of the idea trying to be the moral crusader while killing and destroying peoples lives and livelihoods at the at the same time.

Think about everything you've heard about Ahmadinejad. Where did you hear it from? Now imagine that there is no such thing as investigative journalism anymore and reporters, just are parrots that repeat the same stories provided to them by centralised news agencies and the government. The majority of major news outlets are owned by just 5 corporations. There is no journalism anymore as many reporters have themselves admitted, disgusted by their professions.

#15    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

its funny how people keep sayin he's insane, and yet offer no qoutes to actually back up what their saying, i doubt any of them actually read his letter only the CNN report that came with it.  Thing is  Ahmadinejad got a Phd in engineering, he's a clever man.  Thast what i like, educated people in power, not some idiot cowboy that got handed the presidency from his dadys CIA gangster friends.

Edited by PLO, 10 May 2006 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users