Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Constellation Program - Ares, Orion & Altair

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#241    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:16 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 21 August 2009 - 01:32 PM, said:

:mellow: Hows everyone Likeing the New Forum ?

Looks pretty good so far D!

And whats the real time frame on a Launch of the Ares ?

31 October, 2009 by the present schedule, from pad 39B.

#242    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:04 AM

:sleepy: Well its at least still working No P.M`s anymore? but I guess they had to cut back?

This is a Work in Progress!

#243    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Looks Like Good news for Orion ! Yeah!!!!

#244    Captain Zim

Captain Zim

A voice in the silence

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:29 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 03 September 2009 - 09:16 PM, said:

Looks Like Good news for Orion ! Yeah!!!!

The way the Augustine Commission is looking, Ares I is all but dead. Orion will probably be launched on an EELV... or never if Obama decides to shelve human spaceflight permanently.

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 30 August 2008 - 04:10 AM, said:

<!--quoteo(post=2468529:date=Aug 29 2008, 04:14 PM:name=DONTEATUS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DONTEATUS @ Aug 29 2008, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2468529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is Orion going to be land recovered also ? I thought I read that some where?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The current intention is that, like the Russian Soyuz and the Chinese Shenzhou, the Orion capsule will be recovered on land. This option is much less expensive than a sea recovery (no large armada of recovery ships). However the capsule must still be capable of landing on water in case of emergencies (Soyuz 23 landed on a frozen lake, breaking through the ice).

There are many that think that NASA will abandon the land recovery option and instead settle on an Apollo style splashdown. Although more expensive in the long run, it is easier to land on water because you can hit it at a higher speed, therefore you do not need such large parachutes to slow the vehicle.

For the time being though NASA (publicly at least) remains committed to land recovery.

AFAIK dirt landing was deleted back last year with the big mass scrub to Zero Baseline Vehicle. There's been no move to re-install them.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 15 September 2009 - 09:59 AM.

“I consider it an extremely dangerous doctrine, because the more likely we are to assume that the solution comes from the outside, the less likely we are to solve our problems ourselves.”

-Carl Sagan

#245    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

So Lets all Write our Congressmen!  Space the Final Fiscal Challenge!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users