Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inspirational Books

Bearly

Which books dealing with religion, new age, or the spiritual have inspired you the most and that you would recommend to someone. List the book title, author (optional) and give a brief summary of what it is about or why it inspired you.

Thread Rules: Remember, we are after quality, not quantity

If the book is related to a particular religion or subject, please state the religion or subject matter.

I look forward to the replies as there are a lot of interesting people on this site with a varity of backgrounds :tu:

If you want to discuss a book or series of books extensively, please start another thread to do so.

Edited by Bearly

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bearly

• Imaginary Friend

• Beckys_Mom

• Sherapy

Bible, The word of God able to prepare one for salvation. What the scriptures do is make people wise for salvation; 2Tim3v15 From infancy, you have known the holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith, which is in Christ Jesus.

Mere Christianity, (A book every athiest should get and read, by CS Lewis, himself a one time vehement athiest takles the issues and problems he had with Christianity. A thought provoking book from one of the great thinkers of our time.)

The Christian and the Pharisee, by Dr RT Kendal and Rabbi David Rossen. "This groundbreaking publication is a rare opportunity to read the heartfelt correspondence of two prolific religious leaders, both acclaimed theologians, as they seek to both vigorously defend their own beliefs and allow themselves to be challenged by the claims of the other. As the discussion continues we see mutual respect grow and a strong friendship forged, before the relationship is inevitably tested as they reach points of seemingly irreconcilable difference."http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/christian_and_the_pharisee_pb_110797.html

edited to remove redundant quote - PA

Edited by tags

The one book that inspired me the most was 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay. Very well written, its hard to sum up the book in a few sentences, but the title says a lot.

The "Conversations with God" series of books by Neale Donald Walsh

Mainly though, I was inspired to be the person I am by books such as

"The Three Musketeers"

"The Adventures of Robin Hood"

"Ivanhoe"

And the tragedies of Shakespeare.

The Holographic Universe Michael Talbert

Yearning For The Wind Tom Cowan

The Druid Way Philip Corr-Gormm

There is a few I can remember the names of I'll have to poke around.

I have read Joseph Cambell but I can't remember the name of it. He is always inspiring.

:tu:

The "Conversations with God" series of books by Neale Donald Walsh

That would be my first choice as well. Also, there's a beautiful CD published by "New World Music" entitled; "The Journey" , narrated by Ed Asner and Ellen Burstyn, that encapsulates the over all message in the book series wonderfully. :tu::)

I think one of the simplest truths I can recall in book 1 regarded the subject of "eternal truth". There is no great secret to being. We do not have to know who is speaking the "great truth", as we seek the answers to what it means to be here: "What others say does not have to be the truth, it only has to lead us to our own and it will do that, it can not help but do that. Eventually all things lead us to our (unique) innermost truth . That is our purpose, in being. "

*edit to add the quote*

Edited by Imaginary Friend

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Walkers of the World- A history of Religion from Shaman to Magus

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

I wonder who will be the 1st to say....................the da-vinci code :w00t:

As for me...............Moby Dick!! :rofl:

"The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply." Kahlil Gibran

I wonder who will be the 1st to say....................the da-vinci code :w00t:

How patently absurd! :rofl:

"The Albino Code" :clap:

Edited by Imaginary Friend

Thanks for of the replies everyone, keep them coming, and please remember to add a brief description, that will spark people's interest more in reading the books.

There are many books that I have read and liked, but here are a few that I found to be interesting to me and that I own.

I liked the 'conversations with god' series, and all of Dan Browns books, but others have already posted them, so they don't count as my five :P

I like reading the holy scripture of other cultures in addition to the Bible as it helps to understand religions better. So I enjoyed the Bhagavad-Gita a lot. The translation and commentary by Sri Aurobino I found to be particularly good, not that i'm an expert.

I also liked and highly recommend The Complete Works of Lao Tzu translation by Taoist master NI, Hua-Ching. Not only does it translate the famous Taoist spiritual work the Tao Teh Ching, but it contains the very beautiful Hua Hu Ching which was a story passed verbaly for many generations by the Taoist monks and has finally been written down. IMO, it is more straight forward and much easier to understand than Tao Teh Ching, so if you've any interest in Taoism but find it difficult to understand, this is a great book.

Handbook to Higher Consciousness the science of happiness by Ken Keyes A very interesting book compiling practical ideas and wisdom from many divergent sources, from science to Buddha.

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. A fictional story that highlights some New Age concepts, it is entertaining and non-dogmatic.

I hope you enjoy these and/or other books posted on this thread. And thanks again for the replies :tu:

The Last hours of ancient sunlight Thomm Hartman

CWG books all of them Neale Donald Walsch

A diet for a new america John Robbiins

The autobiography of a Yogi (forget the author)

The Holographic Universe Micheal Talbot

Fast food Nation (forget the author)

A course in Miracles ( again forget the author)

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

The Eye Of I David R.Hawkins

The cat in the hat DR. Seuss

Bearly i know of ken keyes and recently told myself i have to read something by him, i see yourecommend the above I will start there....... :D

Edited by Sheri berri

Children of the Matrix by David Icke

The Holographic Universe Micheal Talbot

Bearly i know of ken keyes and recently told myself i have to read something by him, i see yourecommend the above I will start there....... :D

It's the only one of his that I have read. I hope you enjoy it.

Autobiography of a Yogi is by Paramahansa Yoganada. Great book, i forgot to list it.

You're the second person to list The Holographic Universe, so I'll look for it and give it a try.

Namaste Sheri ^_^

Edited by Bearly

"You've got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old - whatever 'the old' means for you." Sarah Ban Breathnach

Something More - Author: Sarah Ban Breathnach

"If you're strong enough to stay, you're strong enough to leave". Strong enough, strong enough to change what gives life to our woe.

It's so easy to sit back and accept or settle for our lives, warts and all. Dreaming of someday better, something more. This book and it's companion; "Simple Abundance-a daily companion reader", is a guide to help us excavate all of our authentic self. To realize we can make of our lives what ever we will, as we have thus far to this very moment of reading this. It just takes our cooperation to be what we are and if we're unhappy it only takes finding what brings us joy, to nurture that and find our way to being what at first beckons us to become more than what we are. This book is truly what it claims itself to be. A companion reader. It is one womans story related in a way that appeals to each one that reads it and is in tune with those parts of their lives that sought it out in the first place. Of all the books in all the world, if this book speaks to you you are meant to read what it has to say to that inside yourself that asked the question. Is there something more?

Of course! It's why you're here. :)

Quantum Theology

Author: Diarmuid O'Murchu

God is not what you think. It's what you are!

Particle physics, string theory, all seek to explain the why of existence. This book utilizes science and spirituality to discuss what some call god, and others call reality, as one and the same. As they say; "we are all cells in the body of god." This book will make you think outside the box, and into the whole of being, of which we are but one particle in communion, in communication, with all and every other particle. The parts that give life to the whole that give life to the parts.

I do not have to seek out god, for in my-self and all things god is ever present.

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:The soul that rises with us, our life's star, Hath had elsewhere it's setting, And cometh from afar: Not in entire forgetfulness..." William Wordsworth

How patently absurd! :rofl:

"The Albino Code" :clap:

How so? :hmm:

How so? :hmm:

It was a funny!? :blink:

It's the only one of his that I have read. I hope you enjoy it.

Autobiography of a Yogi is by Paramahansa Yoganada. Great book, i forgot to list it.

You're the second person to list The Holographic Universe, so I'll look for it and give it a try.

Namaste Sheri ^_^

Holo uni is excellent thankyou on the auto of a Yogi, my mind went blank lol.......let us know what you think of the holo uni.........

It was a funny!? :blink:

LOL gor me wires crossed there..I thought you meant the book was absurd :w00t: sorry chick LOL

LOL gor me wires crossed there..I thought you meant the book was absurd :w00t: sorry chick LOL

A very sincere thanks to all of the people who have previously posted. I am looking forward to reading the ones i haven't read already, my books to read list is now filling up again.

How about other posters? Read any good books lately. This thread is for everyone's benefit, and recommending books is a great way to share thoughts.

hmm... I think it has to be...

Lord of the rings :yes:

:P

Edited by Leliel

hmm... I think it has to be...

Lord of the rings :yes:

:P

I think I owe my love of reading to The Hobbit. When I was learning to read I was having a difficult time, and so of course I really disliked reading. That all changed when I read The Hobbit. And later, when I was older, I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings also, and read the whole series about six times. JRR Tolkien, what a writer.

Edited by Bearly

anything and everything "with God" by Neale Donald Walsch, but I recommend starting with Conversations with God - an uncommon dialogue book 1. I haven't read a more "inspiring", as you might say, author. I've asked a poet I've met (MarcMarcel.com) a similar question that you asked, Bearly - If you could have us all read one book, or even three books, what would they be and he said this/these books. I asked him this in my crtv wrtng/oral intrp class where he was a guest poet,and I strangely knew by the way he "was" that they would tell me Conversations with God, and I was not suprised at all when he said that...bizarre.

Religious people might fear it and athiests might love it, but that's just my funny view in a short review. Read it :tu: