Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Red Hair

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    JACK NEON

JACK NEON

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• Those who do not believe will not achieve

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

All other hair colors>red hair

I'm inclined to disagree but that isn't the subject at hand

#17    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,838 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

haha true, why do they call it red hair when its like orange, crazy!!!! never really thought about that... good observation!

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#18    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Red-hair doesn't necessarily comes from Ireland or Scotland... I'm Jewish and a red-head. While my parents did come from Europe, I have no historical connections to Britain.

Also red-headness occurs among Middle-Eastern Jews as well. King David is recorded to have been a red-headed.

I once heard though that red-headness comes from Neanderthals tongue.gif.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#19    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Yup it is...just take a walk around Scotland and Ireland and you will see just how natural it is LOL

Why do people keep saying this? I'm from Scotland, and I can only think of 5 red haired Celtic people that I know either personally or from TV. The idea that all Celts have red hair is a sterotype, most of us have black hair.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#20    Death Star III

Death Star III

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

• Anakin you're going down a path I can't follow. -Padme

I reject your reality and subsitute it with my own. -Adam Savage -Mythbusters

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:20 PM

i am not sure but it is probably possible.

Posted Image
(\__/) this is bunny. copy and paste him into your
(='.'=) signature and help him gain world domanation.
(")_(")

(Isn't he amazing.)

My webpage

#21    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

From - http://www.marciaconner.com/bout/redhair.html#facts

The highest percentage of natural redheads in the world is in Scotland (13%), followed closely by Ireland with 10%. In the US, about 2% of the population are natural redheads.

The country name of Russia means "land of reds" in honor of a redheaded Viking by the name of Rurik.

Archaeological digs in the Chinese desert of Takla Makan found mummified redheads dating back 3,000 years.

Adults have about 120,000 hairs on their head; redheads have fewer, blondes have more, brunettes have the most.

Redheadedness is, genetically speaking, a recessive trait. It may appear after several generations of darker hair.

Redheads don't turn grey. Red hair turned sandy, then white. (My friend Sandra refers to this middle color as "Buff."

Embrace the impossible.

#22    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

^So what were you were saying, Talon?

tongue.gif

#23    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

The idea that all Celts have red hair is a sterotype, most of us have black hair.

I agree, considering the majority of central europeans are originally Germanized, Latinized or Slavicized Celts themselves (such as the Walloons, Gauls and Bohemians... all originally Celtic tribes who adopted their over-lords language and culture), and you don't see tons of red-heads running around in central europe.
I think the reason why red-headness became to attached to Celts is that the only surviving Celtic nations are concentrated on the British Isles, were the pre-Celtic population (such as the Picts) probably already had a large number of red-heads, and when the Celts mixed with them the red-headness percentage got elevated in them.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#24    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

red hair is natural - my mother has red hair. though red hair is a mix of ginger and brown - making the ginger a more low key colour, so that it appears red.

I dont think candy apple red is natural though.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#25    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

So what were you were saying, Talon?

Just because 13% of the world's red-haired population is found in Scotland does not mean most Scots have red hair. For all we know that 13% could be as few as a hundred-thousand people, which is a tiny number in a population of 5 million.

Iím the one here from Scotland, I think Iíd notice if people around me actually had red hair or not. And most donít, most have black hair.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#26    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,086 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

^I think the article was saying that 13% of Scots have red hair, not 13% of the worlds redheads are in Scotland.

#27    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,086 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

^I think the article was saying that 13% of Scots have red hair, not 13% of the worlds redheads are in Scotland.

#28    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

I think if more than 1 in 10 of the people around me had red hair I'd notice. As I've said three times now, I'm Scottish and I know hardly any red-heads and see very few when walking around town. Its simply not as wide spread as the Simpsons and Samurai Jack would have you beleive.

#29    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

I think if more than 1 in 10 of the people around me had red hair I'd notice. As I've said three times now, I'm Scottish and I know hardly any red-heads and see very few when walking around town. Its simply not as wide spread as the Simpsons and Samurai Jack would have you beleive.

laugh.gif  I find it funny when people think ireland and scotland population all have ginger or red hair. I'm 1/4 irish and a part scotish(not sure how much >.<), and the rest english and I'm dark blonde.

scotland and irelands hair is (yeah sure they do have redheads or gingers) primerily brown or black.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#30    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

Well I have to say that Redheads are sexy. Natural or not. I love them redheads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users