Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cursed Cars......

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    EDW74

EDW74

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

• I am that Damn Good!
    -removed quote; watch your language

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:01 AM

I just wanted to say, that on the most fundamental levels, it is the belief in the curse that lends credence to it. Furthermore, it is a case of beliefs being rationalized as curses that leads to legendary curses like the James dean Porche spider curse.

Ed's World
I'm an Idiot!
Through God all things are possible,
And if all things are possible through God,
Then  we live in world of infinite possibilities!

You all laugh at me because I'm different,
...And I laugh at you,
.....Because you're all the same

#17    jonb

jonb

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

• aaaaaaaaaaargghhhhh!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

dont you think the car after 10 + accidents would be well, unuseable?

are you sure its not just the same type of car?

#18    DeadRobot

DeadRobot

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

• Ones truth can be anothers fable.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

That's just creepy :s4  :s4  :s4 .... Another good reason to ride the bus.
I believe objects such as cars could be cursed.  I just think it would take some time to become cursed, but in this case the car was made in 1914, and was already cursed from the moment it was driven off the lot.
I think this weekend I'm gonna rent that Stephen King about the cursed car, and have myself a good scare.

Not too unlike the haunted computer posts an explanation of this is that the metals within the freshly produced cars/pcs/toasters etc might have a strong negative energy within them (or be haunted), generating unluckiness against the owner of the metals in question. So they might not require time to become cursed or haunted if the materials were haunted/cursed/contain negative energies pre-production.

Posted ImageV3

#19    DeadRobot

DeadRobot

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

• Ones truth can be anothers fable.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

Actually, anyone had a misbehaving toaster that speaks when it shouldn't moves about or anything unusual like that? (Thinks he should make a new thread with this but it seems too silly to start.)

Posted ImageV3

#20    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

In my last car I always felt like someone was pushing on the back of the driver's seat.  Just at random times, no rhyme or reason.  It was purchased new so it didn't have a history, but I would feel like someone was pushing their knees into the back seat when I was driving.  It was weird.

#21    Davey1000

Davey1000

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

As to the "cursed car", in that era they were ALL cursed and the motor traffic death rate was phenomenal.  By "cursed" I mean that the cars only had brakes on the two rear wheels and these were of course drum brakes,  I happen to own a book about antique cars and one of the cars described therein is a Vauxhall six cylinder with 100 horsepower but with brakes on only the two rear wheels.  Nearly all cars were like that in those days and it wasn't until around the 1920s that four wheel braking started to be introduced.  It is also noteworthy that in the bad old days there were no driving tests and no speed limits on main roads.  Anyone who had sufficient money could just buy a car, jump in and drive.  If they lived long enough they might eventually master the art of driving.

In the early days in England.motor cars were not very popular because of the "Red Flag Act" as it is usually called.  This act stipulated that drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles had to employ a man to walk in front of the vehicle at four miles per hour carrying a red flag.  Once this act was repealed people wanted cars but they had no driving experience.

Allegedly in England the motor traffic death rate was higher in 1920 than it is today.  This is an absolutely amazing fact considering how few the number of cars was.  The tyres were  very narrow cross-plies so if there ever was any grip it would not compare with what we now have.  Crumple zones and seat belts hadn't even been thought of and the lighting was most inferior to that used today.  Those veteran and vintage cars were, to put it bluntly, death traps.

An interesting experiment which unfortunately cannot be done, would be to lend a boy racer a replica of a 1915 car and see how long it would take before they both become a write-off.  I would guess less than a week.

#22    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postdancin, on 09 October 2003 - 05:20 AM, said:

umm........not sure!
I've only read that it crushed a teenagers' legs and hips!
I think it was when the car was scrapped that a piece of metal shot out and killed someone - but this is probably just a story to make the whole thing MORE bizarre!

Hammy x x x

Love that name, makes me think of when Curly said, "Put on those eggs and hammy!"

My Storm has had some funny stuff happen in it where stuff falls under the passenger seat and then disappears forever no matter how much I look under the seat...

#23    Davey1000

Davey1000

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I did reply to this "cursed car" thread before but it seems that my explanation was too down to earth and was scrubbed.

I will try once again!  I have one or two books about motor cars which were written between 1900 and 1920 as far as I can tell.  Car makes included Crossley of Manchester UK and also Napier.  The larger cars would have six cylinder engines which would surely produce about one hundred horsepower.  The brakes would not be so good unfortunately as in that era brakes were only fitted to the rear axle.  There were no driving tests, no seat belts, no roll cages, no crumple zones and no air-bags.  Many cars would be the open type and if they rolled the passengers would be thrown out or worse, crushed underneath the upturned vehicle.

In the UK the number of people killed on the roads in the 1920s was about three times higher than it is today.  As there were only about one million cars on the road then and as there are about thirty millions on the roads now it looks as if motoring was ninety times more dangerous.  In actual fact that figure would be very wrong as cars seldom made long journeys like they do now.  In terms of road deaths per mile the figures would be HUNDREDS of times higher.

Antique cars that only had rear wheel brakes used to crash quite regularly and it was not until 1920 that four wheel hydraulic brakes reached the market.

Take care!

#24    Redefining Success

Redefining Success

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Davey, You say that cars of an early era were death traps, only had rear brakes and poor lighting.

Well they are, by todays standards, but then they were more than likely cutting edge technology, most cars could barely achieve 20mph, and although thats fast enough to cause death and injury, perhaps it should be considered that in your own words...

"It is also noteworthy that in the bad old days there were no driving tests and no speed limits on main roads.  Anyone who had sufficient money could just buy a car, jump in and drive.  If they lived long enough they might eventually master the art of driving."

...It was actually the carelessness of the driver that caused the crash and death? A car with a top speed of 20mph has ample breaking wether rear wheel only or not. Crumple zones and seat belts werent even a wet dream, because we had a false sense of security that these trusty steeds of steel would shrug off an impact, they even said the titanic was unsinkable.

Dont forget, we were on a crest of an engineering wave back then, vehicles were becoming more luxurious and a little quicker, no doubt some long dead driver of one of the first cars put his foot down a little to impress ye olde chicks.

Edited by Redefining Success, 09 January 2013 - 04:24 AM.

If what I type offends you, don't see it as an attack, but as my opinion.

#25    Redefining Success

Redefining Success

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

I can remember reading something about the james dean car.

It was toured around america to teach kids not to drive fast etc, but it disappeared and has never been found since.

Not sure if Im right and surely some one will correct me if im wrong.

If what I type offends you, don't see it as an attack, but as my opinion.

#26    Wildchild41

Wildchild41

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

View PostRedefining Success, on 09 January 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

I can remember reading something about the james dean car.

It was toured around america to teach kids not to drive fast etc, but it disappeared and has never been found since.

Not sure if Im right and surely some one will correct me if im wrong.

Yes, you are correct.

His car was loaded onto a train that was headed to Florida because his car was purchased by the museum that also had Bonnie an Clyde's car along with the actress who was decapitated because she ran into the back of a flatbed.

Anyways, they load the car up onto the train, the train heads straight for Florida, pulls into the station, and as they open the doors they are shocked to see an empty freight car.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users