Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV diet plan causes mass food poisoning

jesspy

TV diet plan causes mass food poisoning

A major Japanese TV network has apologised to almost 160 people who were struck with vomiting and diarrhoea after following a weight-loss plan it broadcast.

The Japanese Government says 30 of the 158 people who got food poisoning had been hospitalised but are recovering.

The Tokyo Broadcasting System's May 6 show introduced a diet of rice mixed with white kidney beans that had been roasted for about three minutes and ground into powder.

"We have received many complaints from different parts of the country about symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea as a result," the network said on its website.

"We deeply apologise to all the people concerned, including people whose condition was affected."

The network is urging viewers not to follow the diet and says white kidney beans are safe to eat if cooked according to usual recipes.

The food poisoning was caused by lectin, a protein in the beans which rendered them toxic if not sufficiently heated.

link

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ragus

• coldethyl

• Elevator

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

I bet they're a few pounds lighter anyway!! :w00t:

I bet they're a few pounds lighter anyway!! :w00t:

:w00t:

I heard that one can live on a diet of rice and beans, it provides everything the body needs. Given, of course, the beans are cooked correctly!!! And while one could survive on such a diet, would one want to?

I heard that one can live on a diet of rice and beans, it provides everything the body needs. Given, of course, the beans are cooked correctly!!! And while one could survive on such a diet, would one want to?

Not me! That's dead boring! And no chocolate! That's just pure evil even to suggest! :w00t:

Lose weight fast was accurate this time. For once.

Yeah exactly. Weight and electrolytes!

I had no idea that beans could be toxic if not properly cooked!! :o

That's veeery interesting. Unfortunately I hate all kind of beans.

wow. wouldnt the people that got sick sue them?

wow. wouldnt the people that got sick sue them?

Well it wasn't in America. If it was in American then first they'd be on morning tv, then they'd sue them! :tu:

Well it wasn't in America. If it was in American then first they'd be on morning tv, then they'd sue them! :tu:

Yep. That's how it works here.

That's veeery interesting. Unfortunately I hate all kind of beans.

I'm right with you, Daniella. I hate all kinds of beans too.

That was interesting though. I bet there's a lot of people out there that don't know you can get food poisoning if beans aren't properly cooked.

Come on beans and wieners on toast rocks

Damn . . I didn't know that beans can be toxic if not cooked properly.

:no:

The best and most suitable food is food that doesn't need any kind of preparation nor seasoning to taste good. That means fruit. This is man's natural diet. Packed with vitamins. Keeps people healthy and happy and trim. :D

The best and most suitable food is food that doesn't need any kind of preparation nor seasoning to taste good. That means fruit. This is man's natural diet. Packed with vitamins. Keeps people healthy and happy and trim. :D

Sushi?

Yes if fruit was all people ate, they'd lose weight.

No to sushi. Yes to kiwi.

Fruit is the best lowfat food to be found anywhere. It's virtually impossible to become overweight eating fruit. Other reasons that fruit are the best food for human beings are beauty and fragrance. It seems to have specifically designed to appeal to human beings by pleasing the eyes and the nose and best of all the taste. Not only that...but fruit does not require the destruction of life to sustain us. The plant continues to live after the fruit is picked or it accomodates us by casting off its fruit so that we can more easily gather it up and eat it. Beautifully balanced design of the Creator.

:tu:

No to sushi. Yes to kiwi.

Fruit is the best lowfat food to be found anywhere. It's virtually impossible to become overweight eating fruit. Other reasons that fruit are the best food for human beings are beauty and fragrance. It seems to have specifically designed to appeal to human beings by pleasing the eyes and the nose and best of all the taste. Not only that...but fruit does not require the destruction of life to sustain us. The plant continues to live after the fruit is picked or it accomodates us by casting off its fruit so that we can more easily gather it up and eat it. Beautifully balanced design of the Creator.

:tu:

"The Creator" also put other things besides fruit on this planet for us to eat.

Yep. That's how it works here.

Yeah I know I'm in America too. :mellow:

Yes if fruit was all people ate, they'd lose weight.

And their minds.

"The Creator" also put other things besides fruit on this planet for us to eat.

Let us not go there in here.

Let us not go there in here.

Well I wasn't the one who brought up "the Creator". Someone else did. And I was just commenting on it. I'm allowed to do that, ya know. ;)

I ate sushi once. It was gross. To me, it ranks right up there with food poisoning, although it didn't make me sick. My reaction to it being gross was that bad though. Maybe we should just thoroughly cook everything we eat, no matter what it is.

Just because some people will consume other things besides fruit does not mean the Creator intended for them to be eaten, but I guess some people have become less human and more bestial and so eat as beasts do. However, I do agree that one can eat things such as vegetables and nuts and grains and still remain quite healthy. Many of the health problems arise when people eat things which they were never designed to eat such as animal flesh and all sorts of artificial additives. These are the sorts of things that later require medical treatments to restore the body. :o

Just because some people will consume other things besides fruit does not mean the Creator intended for them to be eaten, but I guess some people have become less human and more bestial and so eat as beasts do. However, I do agree that one can eat things such as vegetables and nuts and grains and still remain quite healthy. Many of the health problems arise when people eat things which they were never designed to eat such as animal flesh and all sorts of artificial additives. These are the sorts of things that later require medical treatments to restore the body. :o

Well if you're saying you believe in the Creator, it says in the Bible that God put animals here for us as food. That's all I'm going to say about this though.

Basically, when you're hungry, it's surprising what things a person will eat. It's a matter of survival.

So this poison from beans...can it be extracted?