Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Feedlot

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,788 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:59 AM

I guesse Canada isn't a real country then because i'm pretty sure that those were cattle I sawgrazing in a field on my way to the city yesterday. rolleyes.gif I don't know about where you come from, but here the cattle are aloud to graze on grass.

Most animals graze on grass the first few weeks of life in preparation for the feedlot...after birth they are with the mother for a few weeks in a pasture,then they will be taken by truck to a feedlot, too many cattle that will of been paradise compared t what they will be enduring........

Robbie, the Us is the only country that hasn't banned the procedure of feeding dead animal remnats to animals in other words they eat each other...It was banned from cows in 97 becasue of mad cow disease, but it isn't banned from other animals, goggle that .Robbie but that doesn't account for  e-coli and the various other illnesses that are meat related..of course eat what you want but you are what you eat what it eats too.....Cows that are natural herbivores are fed corn (grain) pumped full of antibiotics becasue they are so sick from the diet they eat???? Do you have any idea the disease and sickness thes animals endure???????Do you care??????I doubt if there is any organic meat.....This practice of feeding corn to cows is the light bulb moment of the gov't.......

Geri i guess the pastures are gone everywhere its so sad, not only is the planet losing its beauty but he animals are confined and taken from their natural homes...i get so sad about that.... crying.gif

Edited by Sheri berri, 26 May 2006 - 06:22 AM.

#17    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Sheri..........If they keep doing this..and soon nearly every feild was taken over and the cattle where moved out...then what do they expect the cows to feed on???

Dont they need their cows to eat the fresh green grass?? A lot of farmers say...when their cows eat the fresh green grass...it makes the meat taste better lol

So anyhoo...lets say this does go on and on and on for many years...then what?? do the cows get fed?? If not they will die..no  more cows...no more steak or milk blink.gif Stupid bstds that give their feilds away rolleyes.gif

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#18    bboy

bboy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

When I buy beef, like a few others said, I get it straight from the rancher. I have never had better beef than when I get the free range meat. I buy mine from individual ranchers, not from corporate farms. It isn't too hard when you live in South Dakota I guess. I can see where you're coming from living in California. Everything is corporate there.

#19    bboy

bboy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Geri i guess the pastures are gone everywhere its so sad

Looks like you need to get out of California. Maybe if you saw what the rest of the country looks like you wouldn't be so negative about it. There is land almost everywhere for cattle to graze on.

#20    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

haha eveyone that has told her that she basicly siad were wrong. u know like when u drive down the roads and u see hundreds and hundreds of cattle just running and grazing on grass in the fields that mean nouthing apparently. according to her argentina is the only place that does that. so when u see all these cows eating grass some how u ended up in argentina i guess.

#21    skratch

skratch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

• It is only when we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

Most animals graze on grass the first few weeks of life in preparation for the feedlot...after birth they are with the mother for a few weeks in a pasture,then they will be taken by truck to a feedlot, too many cattle that will of been paradise compared t what they will be enduring........
Robbie, the Us is the only country that hasn't banned the procedure of feeding dead animal remnats to animals in other words they eat each other...It was banned from cows in 97 becasue of mad cow disease, but it isn't banned from other animals, goggle that .Robbie but that doesn't account for  e-coli and the various other illnesses that are meat related..of course eat what you want but you are what you eat what it eats too.....Cows that are natural herbivores are fed corn (grain) pumped full of antibiotics becasue they are so sick from the diet they eat???? Do you have any idea the disease and sickness thes animals endure???????Do you care??????I doubt if there is any organic meat.....This practice of feeding corn to cows is the light bulb moment of the gov't.......
Geri i guess the pastures are gone everywhere its so sad, not only is the planet losing its beauty but he animals are confined and taken from their natural homes...i get so sad about that.... crying.gif

Sheri - You're getting carried away hun wink2.gif
The main problem with eating the meat of animals fed biproducts, growth horomones, antibiotics, etc is that when we eat them, it effects us the same way. These animals are not necessarily sick, because they are pumped full of the antibiotics, but they are FAR from healthy. They aren't diseased however.. Or at least not the majority. They test the cattle to make sure it is alright most of the time, and while the tests are leniant, they ensure that you aren't eating mad cow, diseased, cancerous, rotting meat. (Most of the time....) The likelyness of you getting diseased from the meat you eat is unlikely. It isn't short term that you need to worry about, it's that the chemicals that get pumped into them get pumped into you. Those antibiotics will effect your immune system (and not in a positive way). The growth horomones can lead to cancer and early puberty in kids, among many other things. Might I add Escherichia Coli, like salmonella is a bacteria, not an illness, but it can be responsible for a number of diseases, mostly intestinal, gastrointestinal, and diarrheal. (mmmmm..)
Here in Ottawa we have a mixture of ways cattle are raised. While we do have cattle that graze outside, they are not healthy either. They usually get fed corn, biproducts, and bottom of the barrel hay, which usually is moulding/mildewing. Trust me, I worked with them, I know our industry. It is far from natural, however. The meat you buy in your grocery store I can almost guarantee was raised mainly indoors, and was fed all these biproducts.

Sheri..........If they keep doing this..and soon nearly every feild was taken over and the cattle where moved out...then what do they expect the cows to feed on???

Dont they need their cows to eat the fresh green grass?? A lot of farmers say...when their cows eat the fresh green grass...it makes the meat taste better lol

So anyhoo...lets say this does go on and on and on for many years...then what?? do the cows get fed?? If not they will die..no  more cows...no more steak or milk blink.gif Stupid bstds that give their feilds away rolleyes.gif

Actually, farmers aren't very concerned about the quality and taste of meat. Cattle are sold by the pound, and while feeding green grass may make the meet taste better, it is easier to make their cows more "stocky" and fat by feeding them corn. Because of their added weight gain, they can sell them for more at an earlier age, and thus they make more of a profit from them. This industry is all about the money.

There is no quick fix solution to this problem. Nothing is going to happen to the industries, and nothing will happen to the cows. The suffering will continue. But I won't die happy if I support it. If you can live your life knowing you eat meat that suffered its whole life, even while being killed, and you eat it knowing that you're injesting harmful chemicals, and you eat it knowing you do it just for taste, then at least I can respect you for not being ignorant. Eat all the meat you want, but be informed.

#22    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,788 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

Geri, they have solved the grass eating dilema by making cows which are herbivores into grain eateres they are fed corn, , the person that buys his meat off of a rancher that is rare there are few independent farmers left I'm talking the majority eat feedlot animals thats the original point..i have been all over the US they need the pastures that would feed an animal to grow corn, anyone who eats fast food/resturant  is eating feedlot meat, to the person what is the name of the ranch you buy from , i'd like to investigate just what it is they do, do...As americans we pay for a really good story and we put our trust into these storys, Geri in 96 ,   this is the states,  you are in another country so i don't know your laws and what not but here in america you willl not find milk that isn't contaminated regardless of its its marketed as organic or raw or ultrapasturezed, I have never given my son cows milk for just this reason( I wanted to add to that my son is as big and often bigger  than most kids his age and older ) milk doesn't do a body good, not as a whole foods diet will)....Now the stores are starting to post signs 10 years later and i bet there will be a warning label on the carton just as with cigarettes..........Robbie i wish i was wrong.......

Edited by Sheri berri, 26 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#23    skratch

skratch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

• It is only when we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:46 PM

"Now the stores are strting to post signs 10 years later and i bet there will be a warning label on the carton just as with cigarettes"

Wouldn't it be great? OH MAN! The bragging priveleges I could have. I'd shove it in my friends faces for AT LEAST a year!!! Just to spite the jerks. wink2.gif

Anyway, I wrote this somewhere else... But they are doing tests to see if cows milk actually can cause or help cause osteoperosis (sp?)..
The same problem the milk industry has been saying it helps to prevent.

interesting, if nothing else. I can't want to see what happens 10 years down the line.
People use to think that cigarettes didn't cause cancer, one day maybe there will be an anti-meat movement, and people will see the truth that I've been researching for so long.

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Sheri - You're getting carried away hun wink2.gif
Actually, farmers aren't very concerned about the quality and taste of meat. Cattle are sold by the pound,

Ohh is that so...well funny my late grandfather was indeed concerned how healthy his cattle where...he sold his stock to butchers and slaughter houses and if the meat wasnt as lean and taste good (feedback) they went elsewhere for their live stock...I was told this...not that I personally give a damn how it works, I was just saying....unless you wanna tell me my grandfather was wrong and you know better? huh.gif

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Geri, they have solved the grass eating dilema by making cows which are herbivores into grain eateres tehy are fed corn, , te person tha tbuys his meat off of a rancher tha tis rare there are few indeepndent farmers left I'm talking the majority eat feedlot animals thas the original point..i have been all over the US they need the patures that would feed an animal to grow corn, anyone who eats fast food is eating feedlot meat, to the person wht is the name of the ranch you buy from , i'd like to investigate just what it is they do ddo...As americans we pay for a really good story and we put our trust into these storys, Geri in 96b  this is the steas you are in another country so i don't knkow your laws and what not but here in america you willl not find milk that isn't contaminated regardless of its its marketed as organic or raw or ultrapasturezed, I have never given my son cows milk ofr just this reason....Now the stores are strting to post signs 10 years later and i bet there will be a warning label on the carton just as with cigarettes..........Robbie i wish i was wrong.......

Question for you Sheri...why do you continue to answer robbie?? he hasn't a clue, he says the on line expert sources are wrong and he is right?? Wouldnt you rather and feel better debating with someone (a meat eater) that KNOWS what he/she is talking about? grin2.gif

#26    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,788 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

"Now the stores are strting to post signs 10 years later and i bet there will be a warning label on the carton just as with cigarettes"

Wouldn't it be great? OH MAN! The bragging priveleges I could have. I'd shove it in my friends faces for AT LEAST a year!!! Just to spite the jerks. wink2.gif

Anyway, I wrote this somewhere else... But they are doing tests to see if cows milk actually can cause or help cause osteoperosis (sp?)..
The same problem the milk industry has been saying it helps to prevent.

interesting, if nothing else. I can't want to see what happens 10 years down the line.
People use to think that cigarettes didn't cause cancer, one day maybe there will be an anti-meat movement, and people will see the truth that I've been researching for so long.

Scratch there are some of that feel that meat and dairy are the new tabacco.....We need a civil rights movement for our health now........

Geri it infuriates me how Industry lies covers up and they market kids like Robbie and maybe I'm just an optimist, and all humanity are my brothers and sisters and I was robbie once too and i didn't listen either fear gets ahold of you, He's a kid geri and and its not right to outright lie and mislead simple as that.....

#27    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

Scratch there are some of that feel that meat and dairy are the new tabacco.....

They're called Trial Lawyers... follow the money...

I was like a Sheri once too.  A long time ago.

And I see a wolrd where in 80 years, and nobody smokes, and the unintended concequences rear their ugly heads, that it will be found... the benifits of smoking.

I just don't know what to make of the hundreds and hundreds of cows I have to go through every month, out in the boondox on my way to the natural gas leases.  The grasses that they eat (and wires on my solar panels)... the ranchers I talk to, and how they care/love almost to the point of inappropriateness their livestock.  15 mile stretch I have to drive 5 mph, the guy that yelled at me for driving through some cattle... he wants me to get out of the truck and shoo them rather than creep through in the truck...  stupid cows.

What is the spirituality/morality of a cow?

Edit: forgot to make "rancher" plural... I talk to quite a few of them... I work with one of the top dogs of the national wool an mohair club, can't think of the name right now and she's out of office...

Edited by Celumnaz, 26 May 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#28    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,788 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

Sheri - You're getting carried away hun
The main problem with eating the meat of animals fed biproducts, growth horomones, antibiotics, etc is that when we eat them, it effects us the same way. These animals are not necessarily sick, because they are pumped full of the antibiotics, but they are FAR from healthy. They aren't diseased however..

Possibly canada has much better standards then we do......I agree throw in antibiotics and all the other stuff and meat isn't the great source of protien that its touted.....
I deepy apologize to all the animal lovers at  are about to read this:
Scratch the truth is a animal that is feed grain isn't gonna have any measure of health after about 150 days, their systems can't handle it, the first thing that happens is they bloat remember the rumen i mentioned , the corn produces a horrendous amount of gas in the rumen which would normally be released through belching by runminatioin, but there diets contain way too much starch and not enough roughage and the rumen inflates like a balloon and a foamy slime forms and that traps the gas until it presses against the animals lungs, unless action is taken immediatlely the animal will suffocate, (the action usually taken is a hose forced down the animals esophogas to release the gas....)

also a concentrated diet of corn can give an animal acidosis, a cows rumen is neutral unlike ours which is acid , corn is acidic and it creates a kind of heartburn that can kill the animal, but it ususally makes them sick ..Acidotic animals  go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw and scratch their bellies and eat dirt..This often leads to diarreah, ulcers, bloat, rumentitis,liver disease, and general weaking of the immune sytem that leaves the animal at peril  for a myriad of feedlot disease such as  pneumonia, coccidiosis, enterotoxemia, feedlot polio...Just like humans animals are susceptatble to all sorts of disease too.....more often than not this diet blows out there livers, over time the acid eats throught he rumen wall and the bacterias  enter the animals blood stream, these microbes end up in the liver which impairs the livers funtions...So you see scratch antiobiotics are needed for some semblence of kindness to these animals.....I wish i was getting carried away  crying.gif  crying.gif We may define diseased differently......

#29    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,788 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

They're called Trial Lawyers... follow the money...

I was like a Sheri once too.  A long time ago.

And I see a wolrd where in 80 years, and nobody smokes, and the unintended concequences rear their ugly heads, that it will be found... the benifits of smoking.

I just don't know what to make of the hundreds and hundreds of cows I have to go through every month, out in the boondox on my way to the natural gas leases.  The grasses that they eat (and wires on my solar panels)... the ranchers I talk to, and how they care/love almost to the point of inappropriateness their livestock.  15 mile stretch I have to drive 5 mph, the guy that yelled at me for driving through some cattle... he wants me to get out of the truck and shoo them rather than creep through in the truck...  stupid cows.

What is the spirituality/morality of a cow?

Edit: forgot to make "rancher" plural... I talk to quite a few of them... I work with one of the top dogs of the national wool an mohair club, can't think of the name right now and she's out of office...

Celum i am speaking of FEEDLOT animals which supplies the most meat, there are only so many huge corporations a handfull that run the show......ALL animals dine on grass for a short time, in preperation for feedlot...not to say there aren't  some ranchers left ...As i said we all want to buy a really good story, its comfroting...... half of the Us's dairy comes from idaho from "organic horizions" which is the microsoft of milk anyone from idaho????It milks several thousands of cows thousands, you would need at a least an acre of grass per animal and more hours iin a day to move these cows all the way to these distant acres and then back again to the milking parlor every morning and evening..the truth is they are walking around on dirt feedlots eating corn being milked three times a day being monitiered becasue they arent' using antibiotics...cows only need this sort of survelliance that arent' given antibiotics.....anyone live near or use a whole foods next time look at the beautiful pictures of their cows they even name them but its feedlot......

#30    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

Scratch there are some of that feel that meat and dairy are the new tabacco.....We need a civil rights movement for our health now........

Geri it infuriates me how Industry lies covers up and they market kids like Robbie and maybe I'm just an optimist, and all humanity are my brothers and sisters and I was robbie once too and i didn't listen either fear gets ahold of you, He's a kid geri and and its not right to outright lie and mislead simple as that.....

OKay Sheri...but it's much easier to debate with someone who is actually going to pay attention and hear you out..without calling you a .......what was it again??? Ohh yes...a hippie!! blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users