Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

ADHD

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31    whoa182

whoa182

Poltergeist

• 2,710 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

Supplementation with flax oil and vitamin C improves the outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Interdisciplinary School of Health Sciences, University of Pune, Ganeshkhind, Pune-411007, Maharashtra, India. Kalpana@unipune.ernet.in

Considerable clinical and experimental evidence now supports the idea that deficiencies or imbalances in certain highly unsaturated fatty acids may contribute to a range of common developmental disorders including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Few intervention studies with LCPUFA supplementation have reported inconsistent and marginal results. This pilot study evaluates the effect of alpha linolenic acid (ALA)-rich nutritional supplementation in the form of flax oil and antioxidant emulsion on blood fatty acids composition and behavior in children with ADHD. Post-supplementation levels of RBC membrane fatty acids were significantly higher than pretreatment levels as well as the levels in control. There was significant improvement in the symptoms of ADHD reflected by reduction in total hyperactivity scores of ADHD children derived from ADHD rating scale.

Effect of randomized supplementation with high dose olive, flax or fish oil on serum phospholipid fatty acid levels in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Young GS, Conquer JA, Thomas R.

Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 5B6, Canada.

Dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids has been positively correlated with cardiovascular and neuropsychiatric health in several studies. The high seafood intake by the Japanese and Greenland Inuit has resulted in low ratios of the omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid (AA, 20:4n-6) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5n-3), with the Japanese showing AA:EPA ratios of approximately 1.7 and the Greenland Eskimos showing ratios of approximately 0.14. It was the objective of this study to determine the effect of supplementation with high doses (60 g) of flax and fish oils on the blood phospholipid (PL) fatty acid status, and AA/EPA ratio of individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), commonly associated with decreased blood omega-3 fatty acid levels. Thirty adults with ADHD were randomized to 12 weeks of supplementation with olive oil (< 1% omega-3 fatty acids), flax oil (source of alpha-linolenic acid; 18:3n-3; alpha-LNA) or fish oil (source of EPA and docosahexaenoic acid; 22:6n-3; DHA). Serum PL fatty acid levels were determined at baseline and at 12 weeks. Flax oil supplementation resulted in an increase in alpha-LNA and a slight decrease in the ratio of AA/EPA, while fish oil supplementation resulted in increases in EPA, DHA and total omega-3 fatty acids and a decrease in the AA/EPA ratio to values seen in the Japanese population. These data suggest that in order to increase levels of EPA and DHA in adults with ADHD, and decrease the AA/EPA ratio to levels seen in high fish consuming populations, high dose fish oil may be preferable to high dose flax oil. Future study is warranted to determine whether correction of low levels of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is of therapeutic benefit in this population.

Edited by whoa182, 27 May 2006 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

#32    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

yes.gif

LOL glad you spotted that....what with all this ADHA nonsense....The should break it down into several different sections...like....(plz note this is just a bit of fun grin2.gif )

(for kids that wont stop climbing trees ect when they are told they cant)
D.L.S.S = Disobedient ..Little...Sh*t...Syndrome

(For those kids that don't want to learn anything, would rather mess about in class)
T.L.B.S = Thick...Little...Bstd...Syndrome

(for those kids that love to vandalize property and think its fun)
H.P.T.D.G.A.F.S = Have Parents That Don't Give A Fook Syndrome

(for those kids that cant sit still and  fidgets a lot, and wont stay in the one spot for too long)
A.-  I.P.S - Itchy Pants Syndrome
B. - I.G.B.F.S = I. Get, Bored Fast Syndrome

(for kids that throw one too many tantrums)
S.R.S = Spoilt rotten syndrome

w00t.gif

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#33    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,996 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

ADHD is used for everything, i can't tell you how many teachers are recommending to parents to get their kids tested........

robbie there is only compassion for you dude, it seems you have ADHD genuinely .......

what do you know of your moms prenatal care and your infant health...Just curious on my part......And no one hates noone.......If UM doesn't bring you to tears or get you to tear your hair out from frustration it'll make you tougher...lol grin2.gif  w00t.gif

#34    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

my moms parental car consisted of gerber baby food. while she was preganat with me she actyualy had cravings for steak (there goes ur omega 3 theory) umm i wasnt like dropped or anything ur uestion is kinda vague lol i dont know what u are trying to ask like nutrition disiplin or waht?

#35    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:00 AM

my moms parental car consisted of gerber baby food. while she was preganat with me she actyualy had cravings for steak (there goes ur omega 3 theory) umm i wasnt like dropped or anything ur uestion is kinda vague lol i dont know what u are trying to ask like nutrition disiplin or waht?

Funny that...95% women that crave meat of any kind during pregnancy, are a cert to have boys yes.gif

I craved fruit and water...things a hardly would have touched before I got pregnant...good thing about it, Becky was born with beautiful clear skin and very healthy, and was cleared of jaundice......most newborns are born with jaundice...the midwives where surprised how alert she was and how her tests showed up clear of jaundice....it was weird cuz I never would have looked at a peice of fruit or drank much water...so my body craved the things I needed or lacked......As soon as she was born I stopped...LOL but I am trying to go back on to eating more fruit and drinking more water because my skin looked great throught my entire pregnancy...but because I have stopped it..I am breaking out again YIKES!!! wacko.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 May 2006 - 03:07 AM.

#36    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,996 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:36 AM

Robbie i was wondering on those things for purposes of similarity that is all......dude you have got to chillax,  I would not be insinuating anything.......lol thanks for sharing.......
waht age did you get diagnosed, if you have already said all this sorry , i haven't read the whole thread as of yet lol.....

#37    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,996 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

Funny that...95% women that crave meat of any kind during pregnancy, are a cert to have boys yes.gif

I craved fruit and water...things a hardly would have touched before I got pregnant...good thing about it, Becky was born with beautiful clear skin and very healthy, and was cleared of jaundice......most newborns are born with jaundice...the midwives where surprised how alert she was and how her tests showed up clear of jaundice....it was weird cuz I never would have looked at a peice of fruit or drank much water...so my body craved the things I needed or lacked......As soon as she was born I stopped...LOL but I am trying to go back on to eating more fruit and drinking more water because my skin looked great throught my entire pregnancy...but because I have stopped it..I am breaking out again YIKES!!! wacko.gif

You were delivered by a mid wife???Why are most kids jaundced?????Generally only if a kid is born premature here in the US....

#38    TheOracle

TheOracle

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

• Artistic, quiet, musician Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Ad mortem fidelis.

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

Well done BM. You have truly proven yourself to be an A grade ignoramus. It is people like you who have lead to children genuinely affected by ADHD to be denied treatment for so long. Sure there are cases where doctors mis-diagnose patients and there are pill popping mums using this to get their hands on some dope but at least the kids who need help with this REAL problem are finally getting the help they need to lead a more productive life. Your comments truly are moronic and I hope that your views are not the views of the rest of your country.
Please keep your ignorance to yourself at least until you know what you are talking about.

Never play Leap Frog with a Unicorn.

#39    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

You were delivered by a mid wife???Why are most kids jaundced?????Generally only if a kid is born premature here in the US....

Dont know Sheri...I am not a doc..but I guess the only ones that can really answer that are the midwives and doctors..as for me...I dont care cuz my lil one didnt have it...not that jaundice would be a problem...cuz it's a known fact...that all babies born with jaundice ..it leaves thenm very quickly..its no biggie grin2.gif Sheri Midwives do in fact deliever babies..wow you had 3 kids and you didnt know this blink.gif DAMN!!!

Ok to help you out a lil

Will my baby become jaundiced?
About 60% of all babies have jaundice. Some babies are more likely to have severe jaundice and higher bilirubin levels than others. Babies with any of the following risk factors need close monitoring and early jaundice management:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/newbornsand...aundice_alt.htm

WHO helps deliver babies???

Midwife info w00t.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 May 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#40    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

Well done BM. You have truly proven yourself to be an A grade ignoramus. It is people like you who have lead to children genuinely affected by ADHD to be denied treatment for so long. Sure there are cases where doctors mis-diagnose patients and there are pill popping mums using this to get their hands on some dope but at least the kids who need help with this REAL problem are finally getting the help they need to lead a more productive life. Your comments truly are moronic and I hope that your views are not the views of the rest of your country.
Please keep your ignorance to yourself at least until you know what you are talking about.

Call me what you like LOL I am a realist...I observe a lot..and I am FULLY entitled to my opinions whether you like it or not...if you dont like my opinions...dont read them..move on

You look at those parents that have kids with REAL mental health problems...their kids having to go to special schools and be around carers all day long....these parents would do ANYTHING for their kid to be normal...they love their kids..but only wish they could help them...best thing a mother can do is just show her support and love..

..My Aunt has a lil boy called Kevin.....Kevin cannot speak..he moans out loud and he does NOT aknoledge you...he breaks things and hurts himself a lot and who ever is with him..he can't help it...he has a REAL mental health problem along with a few other health problems...there are kids like Kevin and these kids are the real deal....and their parents would give ANYTHING for their kids to lead a normal childhood...and I mean ANYTHING...even give up all their benefits that they get off the goverment to help them out..they would give it all up...just so their kid could be normal

Then you have the parents that would do ANYTHING to make their kid look as though they have some kid of mental disorder..when their child is only being a child...many many many kids get hyper...many like to climb when they are told NO..many like to run about and not stay in the same place....many love to mess around instead of focusing on their school work.....and some parent desided to sponge more money off the goverment by making their kid out to have disorders... huh.gif

Why no one talks to a child I dont know....growing up myself I could have checked off 90% of those symptoms...there was NOTHING  wrong with me...I was a normal kid..there was none of that ADHD crap...kids where allowed to be kids....Kids will play up if you let them...kids will mess around and carry on acting the clown...kids will be kids....and what do a lot of these parents do....they claim their kid has something wrong..and get as much money from the goverment as they can...the more symptoms they think their kids has the more cash they get...just so some of them (i said some) dont have to get up of their lazt hides and get a job and work for a living

These parents are not like the ones that DO have kids with REAL problems...these parents use their kids for $$$ and only $$$....the parents with the kids that have real problems..WONT..they will do anything to have their kid cured...thats the difference

Go into a hospital where there are kids with real mental health problem...take a look around you...speak to a few mothers..ask them how things are....you will be sure to hear a good genuine heart felt story....you will learn something.................then go into a persons home who claims their kid has this adhd...and you see this kid playing and being a kid..and acting a lil hyper..but is still normal...and you hear the parent making it out to be a big issue and trying to see if there are more symptoms this kid just might have...wondering what the goverment will do...and you will be sickened......guess what I have seen this happen

Nme me a kid that dont have any of those symptoms...just one kid...in fact I'd dare say all kids have at least 3-4 of those so called symptoms...its a shame poor kids are being exposed to having disorders all because they are being themselves...KIDS!!!

Man if some of these parents had real health issues they would have something to really worry over blink.gif

Now if you dont like what I have said move on...cuz let me tell you something..this is an open forum....I havent used abuse towards members...I have spoken my mind on the topic at hand...I speak from experience...not through ignorance..if you knew me you would know I wont talk about something I know nothing about...Sheri of all people should vouch for this happy.gif

You take away all or most of those symptoms that is linked to ADHD..from a kid...and what would that kid be like?? Try and imagine it...a drone perhaps??
I am reading up on mental health problem all thet time...go read my blog...I am going to do my best to get my degree in Psychology[/b[b]]...I wont stop untill I get it..this is a subgect I have a HUGE intrest in and I know what I am talking about...ok not a big expert but I do read a lot and observe a lot....I will be studying.....
Exploring psychology
Biological psychoiogy..exploring the brain
Child development

To name but a few of my modules I have to do..and I will get through them ALL...this is something BM here is intrested in...so next time you wanna call me names and throw in your rant..you best be able to put  some thought and prove that you have read my posts....otherwise you wont get a responce....I take this stuff seriously....I love kids..I want to help kids with REAL problems and I will do it

happy.gif

ADHD is used for everything, i can't tell you how many teachers are recommending to parents to get their kids tested........

Gee talk about encouraging  more and more parents to expose their kids ..and sponge off it...its absurd.....I can understand it if there where REAL issues involved..ike ie..a kid that shows signs of complete isolation and wont speak to you, and would hardly acknowledge you , will hurt you if you try and play with him..and hurt himself...this is a REAL problem...and needs care and attention..not to mention treatment....but kids like thse wont be in normal school to begin with..its rare they are.......but for a teacher to say a kid might have a disorder because a kid is playing up or wont pay attention in class??...thats wrong...teachers back in my day used to spend more time with kids like that..and show more understanding and helped those kids ...these kids never where told they had a disorder...they where just kids...and now look how things have changed blink.gif

Wonder how many will read th parts where I have stated that there are kids with real mental problems?? or will there be people just reading what they see as negative points I have mentioned wink2.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 May 2006 - 11:44 AM.

#41    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:14 PM

People think that more and more doctors are jsut handing out adhd diagnoses becuase its easy but in reality only a very small amount of kids are misdiagnosed. there is actualy a evolutinary explanation to adhd that is rather intresting. some scientist belive adhd was natures way of making humans able to look at something from a diffrent perspective. becuase people with adhd look at sometihng usualy diffrent thne a non adhd person would and tackle problems diffrently. they think that adhd allowed hunters tot be more efficent and make better tools and new tools and other things like that. they feel if it wasnt for adhd then humans might not have survived and its kinda intresting.

#42    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

For males flax seeds is a poor choice and ALA can't be converted to DHA (development of eyes and brain) that well, females the conversion takes place in adequate amounts. I can find you the study if you like.

Please supply this study if you can.

cravings for steak does not negate the possibility of an omega-3 defecinecy.  Firstly, beef is not the best source for omega-3.  Secondly, the gut-health of your mother would determine the omega-3 absorbtion levels, no matter what the food source.  Thirdly, omega-3 is important during the first years of life.  It is possible that you were not getting adequate omega-3, and/or your gut health was impacting absorbtion levels.  

People think that more and more doctors are jsut handing out adhd diagnoses becuase its easy but in reality only a very small amount of kids are misdiagnosed. there is actualy a evolutinary explanation to adhd that is rather intresting. some scientist belive adhd was natures way of making humans able to look at something from a diffrent perspective. becuase people with adhd look at sometihng usualy diffrent thne a non adhd person would and tackle problems diffrently. they think that adhd allowed hunters tot be more efficent and make better tools and new tools and other things like that. they feel if it wasnt for adhd then humans might not have survived and its kinda intresting.

As I said earlier, disorders are socially defined.  In a society that demands high competition in everything, and specific behavior, those not matching the ideal become diagnosed as having a disorder where in another society the traits they display could be desired.  
The main issue with diagnosis is there is an overuse of medication in treatment.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#43    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

Please supply this study if you can.
cravings for steak does not negate the possibility of an omega-3 defecinecy.  Firstly, beef is not the best source for omega-3.  Secondly, the gut-health of your mother would determine the omega-3 absorbtion levels, no matter what the food source.  Thirdly, omega-3 is important during the first years of life.  It is possible that you were not getting adequate omega-3, and/or your gut health was impacting absorbtion levels.  
As I said earlier, disorders are socially defined.  In a society that demands high competition in everything, and specific behavior, those not matching the ideal become diagnosed as having a disorder where in another society the traits they display could be desired.  
The main issue with diagnosis is there is an overuse of medication in treatment.

I agree Hyper...I live in a society that demands high competition in everything......I mean everything...lets see how many things we can claim off the goverment for competition blink.gif

I grew up in the days when a man could walk down the street...and some guy up a ladder Accidentally dropped a flower pot on his head and knocked the man off his feet....and the only thing that would have happened as a result to that was........... - "Hey why don't you watch where you are doing".....picks himself up and walks on...............

Nowdays if the same thing where to happen......Man walking down the street, some guy up a ladder drops a flower pot/basket on his head, knocking him to the groud... ...the man knocked to the ground will have called his lawyer before he got back on his feet again to sue the guy up the ladder!!!! and I aint kidding...that's what has happened to society.....money sponging parasites  that like to live off your tax dollars. sad but true

And now look kids are being used...and if these kids knew better ..they would tell their sponging parents to leave them alone...disorder my foot!!!

I can just picture in a few years, getting a phone call from a teacher, telling me that my lil girl is acting up, when I ask what exactly is she doing...the teacher responding with....Well Becky likes to throw paper at other students, and she likes to join in with a few other kids that misbehave by calling names across the classroom to tease other children.....this is not normal for a child behavior.......Becky is noramally a great bright student, but is easily distracted...I think you need to take her to see a doctor and have her tested for ADHD ect...I am calling a number of parents that have kids that are acting the same as Becky.......

If that where to happen in a few odd years from now...I would feel insulted by that teacher and be angered on the nerve of that teacher telling me my kid aint normal...there might be something wrong with my kid....all because my kid is being...simpily...a kid??? and needs discipline...not treatment from the doctor no.gif  And kids that act like this do grow out of it soon enough....I know I did!!!!

It's making the parents push the very fact they cant discipline their kids, they suck as parents so...easy...lets just say my kid has a disorder...and it wont look as though we suck as parents because we are too lazy to show discippline...to teach them how important education is...to teach them manners...to heck with discipline...even though I grew up with it and it didnt do me any harm...I need more beer at the end of the month...so....the goverment are against discipline for kids...teachers cant discipline kids like they used to...so...lets all put it down to our kids having disorders...think of the money sweetheart..more booze at the end of every month!!! wacko.gif

So...if a kid is running around messing about with other kids...this is now a disorder and not normal huh.gif

If a kid is not paying attention and is easily distracted in class...this kid is NOT normal and may have a mental disorder huh.gif

The list goes on...and as a parent If I where told that about my kid...I would feel insulted that people are saying my kid aint nomal disgust.gif

Just what is normal anyway??? Can ANYONE define..........NORMAL???

#44    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

There are no definitive answers as yet, however, research has demonstrated that AD/HD has a very strong neurobiological basis.

Although precise causes have not yet been identified, there is little question that heredity makes the largest contribution to the expression of the disorder in the population.

In instances where heredity does not seem to be a factor, difficulties during pregnancy, prenatal exposure to alcohol and tobacco, premature delivery, significantly low birth weight, excessively high body lead levels, and postnatal injury to the prefrontal regions of the brain have all been found to contribute to the risk for AD/HD to varying degrees.

Research does not support the popularly held views that AD/HD arises from excessive sugar intake, food additives, excessive viewing of television, poor child management by parents, or social and environmental factors such as poverty or family chaos.

National Resource Center on ADHD

yes.gif Not EVERYTHING is related to diet...sorry vegans..

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#45    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

The exact cause of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not known. However, inherited genetic factors are likely responsible. Ongoing research is focused on identifying genes that cause a person to be susceptible to ADHD.

Using various imaging tests, researchers have been able to observe the brain at work. They have found a possible link between ADHD and:

Brain structure.
The function of chemicals in the brain that help regulate attention and activity (dopamine and norepinephrine).
Differences in function of some of the areas of the brain that affect attention and impulse control.
Also, research shows that a mother's use of cigarettes, alcohol, or other drugs during pregnancy may increase the risk for ADHD. Some studies suggest that exposure to lead may cause symptoms associated with ADHD. 1

Although many parents believe that foods with sugar and food additives make their children more hyperactive, these foods have not been shown to cause ADHD. In a comprehensive review of research, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) found that restricted diets seemed to help only about 5% of children with ADHD, mostly either young children or children with food allergies. 1 Other research has shown that sugar is not related to ADHD

Link

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users