Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Corn fed or grass fed?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,789 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

We live in a time when the standard diet is calorie rich and nutrition poor...We live in a time when grain (corn) is a huge commodity..Its storable, portable, fungible...It can be acumulated , its a form of wealth, its also a weapon, the nation with the biggest surplus for grain has always held the most power over the ones in short supply.....this can not be said about grass..You see grain supports the larger economy, the chemical and biotech industries, the oil industry, Detroit and the pharmacueticals...without phamacueticals industry, just couldn't keep the animals healthy..Grass farmers use little to no pesticides or fertilizers, they do little to support the agribuisness or the pharmacueticals...grass does nothing  for the nations power or balance of payments and no farmer gets subsidized for using grass not like the corn growers do....Grass can't be broken down into a myriad of molecules to be rearraanged into a cornucopia of  processed foods.ONLY meat,milk and fiber is about all you can get out of grass and the only way to do this is with a living organism....Grass feed i'm afraid dosen't oil the hub of industry and Indsutry has no use for things it can't bend to its bottom line........Industry Rules the day.........The idea of the grass fed animal is maybe nothing more than a really good story........

discuss...... grin2.gif

#2    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

So rather then making money, jobs and more for people... Why is it bad to feed corn to animals?

I actually think they genetically designed some corn to resist bugs and such, so they wouldn't have to use as much on the crops. These crops as you say are in much need and help millions.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

I don't understand how corn can be bad but at the same time grass is god too......as long as the animals are fed right?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#4    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,789 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:44 AM

Geri, Cows are herbivores, not grain eaters....they have been turned into grain eaters at much peril to there health and ours....

Cows that are natural herbivores are fed corn (grain) pumped full of antibiotics becasue they are so sick from the diet they eat???? Do you have any idea the disease and sickness these animals endure???????Do you care??????I doubt if there is any organic meat.....This practice of feeding corn to cows is the light bulb moment of the gov't.......

The truth is a animal that is feed grain isn't gonna have any measure of health after about 150 days, their systems can't handle it, the first thing that happens is they bloat remember the rumen i mentioned , the corn produces a horrendous amount of gas in the rumen which would normally be released through belching by runminatioin, but there diets contain way too much starch and not enough roughage and the rumen inflates like a balloon and a foamy slime forms and that traps the gas until it presses against the animals lungs, unless action is taken immediatlely the animal will suffocate, (the action usually taken is a hose forced down the animals esophogas to release the gas....)

A concentrated diet of corn can give an animal acidosis, a cows rumen is neutral unlike ours which is acid , corn is acidic and it creates a kind of heartburn that can kill the animal, but it ususally makes them sick ..Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw and scratch their bellies and eat dirt..This often leads to diarreah, ulcers, bloat, rumentitis,liver disease, and general weaking of the immune sytem that leaves the animal at peril for a myriad of feedlot disease such as pneumonia, coccidiosis, enterotoxemia, feedlot polio...Just like humans animals are susceptatble to all sorts of disease too.....more often than not this diet blows out there livers, over time the acid eats throught he rumen wall and the bacterias enter the animals blood stream, these microbes end up in the liver which impairs the livers funtions...So you see antiobiotics are needed for some semblence of kindness to these animals.....--------------------

#5    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:22 AM

umm corn is a grass justl ike bamboo is a grass..... think about that

#6    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,789 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:29 AM

Robbie corn is a GRAIN........Do you know why a cow eats grass???????

#7    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:42 AM

grass is a grain. and corn is a grass crazy right? no. because u need to remebmer that a grain is a grass not all grasses are grains though. look it up. a corn is a type of tall grass liek bambo. corn is a cerael grain. a grain is a wheat and a wheat is a grass.

a cow natualry will eat any plant it can get. the bulk of its diet however is garss.

Edited by robbieb, 29 May 2006 - 02:43 AM.

#8    Idriss

Idriss

Travelling through Space

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

• Hello Doctor! Its very nice to meet you :)

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:45 AM

there are more than just cows that are feed grain such as horses for example

"Loving life!"

#9    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,789 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:04 AM

Robbie inventive use of logic  w00t.gif but no a grass isn't a grass is a grass.......I'm a bit tired so I'll psot the reason tomorrow.... grin2.gif

#10    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

Geri, Cows are herbivores, not grain eaters

What's the difference laugh.gif

Edited by frogfish, 29 May 2006 - 03:55 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#11    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

there isnt a diffrence ur either and herbivore carnivore omnivore decomposer scavanger or parasite (endo or ecto) cows are herbivores.

#12    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,789 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

Theres quite a difference, a cow isn't a grain eater and that is what they will eat the majority of their lifes,   they will get grass the first few weeks of life only in preperation for the feedlot. a animal that is almost only fed grain gets sick relatively fast within 150 days of its life..the reason corn is used is becasue it fattens up the cow very fast a grass fed animal takes alot longer years actually and the more grain the more Omega 3 is depleted and the 'protien is a very poor quality...the only country that exclusively grass feeds there animals is Argentina...i am in the process of researching just what ranchers are actually  grass feeding ...what companys ..Nutrition is a wholeness philosophy its not seperate little compartments , if the soil is infertile and the cow is malnourished and the water is polluted it will trickle to the person eating the food.....Most other countrys see no line between heatlth and food ....Americans for some reason don't make the connection YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT..........I'm not looking to debate just putting out info..... grin2.gif

#13    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

sherri CORN IS A GRASS!

The teosintes make up a group of large grasses of the genus Zea found in Mexico, Guatemala and Nicaragua. There are five recognized species of teosinte: Zea diploperennis, Zea perennis, Zea luxurians, Zea nicaraguensis and Zea mays. The last species is further divided into four subspecies: ssp. mays, ssp. huehuetenangensis, ssp. mexicana, and ssp. parviglumis, the last three also are teosintes. The species group into two sections, sect. Luxuriantes, with the first four species, and sect. Zea with Zea mays.
Zea Mays is CORN!!!!!! I WIN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teosinte  

SO LIKE I SAID GRASS IS A GRAIN GRAIN IS WHEAT GRASS IS A WHEAT SO CORN IS A WHEAT CORN IS A GRAIN AND CORN IS A GRASS HAHA so haha yea that right for dinner i had grass yea i had corn so there.

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

sherri CORN IS A GRASS!  Zea Mays is CORN!!!!!! I WIN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teosinte  

SO LIKE I SAID GRASS IS A GRAIN GRAIN IS WHEAT GRASS IS A WHEAT SO CORN IS A WHEAT CORN IS A GRAIN AND CORN IS A GRASS HAHA so haha yea that right for dinner i had grass yea i had corn so there.

but didnt you also say..you dont care for online info...when someone posts you a link to read you say its .....garbage.....buut when it suits you whuuoops there it is w00t.gif

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#15    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

i never said that i said i dont liek surveys and out dated sites. whops there it is READ NEXT TIME. u people get realy anoying after a while. ur refering to when i was given a site that had a bunch of surveys done from 1970 till 1994 on adhd no one accepts anything realy that came from that time frame on adhd all new studies say its genetisc and i showed u liek 3 sites saying that. and when i was givne some weird doctors perosnal site and her weird view of adhd and ever other thing on earth. she seemss more like a televangelist thne a doctor sorry if i didnt accecpt her twisted views. i give sites that are up to date and accurate. dont get mad at me for not accpeting the same and i explaned why i dont liek surveys many times. (statics made me realise that there usualy crap)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users