Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Florida takes manatee off endangered list

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Unreality

Unreality

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:41 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here is part of the story from CNN...

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Florida's wildlife commission voted Wednesday to remove the manatee from the state's endangered species list, a move environmentalists fear could erode safeguards for the popular sea creature.

State officials said the "downlisting" to threatened from endangered would have no impact on protections afforded the massive, lumbering marine mammal often called the sea cow.

Manatees inhabit Florida's canals and coastal waters, where they are frequently killed or injured by boats.

A survey this year found about 3,100 remaining manatees.

State officials say manatees no longer qualify for endangered status, which is reserved for creatures that face extinction.

Environmentalists, citing predictions the manatee population could decline by 50 percent in the next 45 years, say the criteria need to be changed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/08...reut/index.html

I like Rice

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,591 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

mad.gif 3000 animal do not make a viable population.  Every manatee I have seen in the wild has prop injuries.  I had a friend who was standing on his dock saw a manatee give birth right in front of him, while he was watching a boat came speeding along and killed the baby. The one simple thing the boating industry could do to help is cage props. My friend runs his boat with a caged prop and he likes it.  It has saved him damaging his prop on rocks and stuff.  I think what we need to do is make the current Florida legislature and Governor an endangered species.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    crouton

crouton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• 'This one goes to eleven....'

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

How awful!  The poor baby.  That image is going to haunt me now.  Can there be some sort of legislation to force boaters to put cages on their props?  Normally, I dislike more governmental interference, but humans are notorious for not doing the right thing when it comes to animals.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:05 PM

This is actually a bad decision...Manatees would get less protection and consideration now. They should keep them on the Endangered list.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users