Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New shark discovered in US waters

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

user posted image

A new type of hammerhead shark has been discovered in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean, marine scientists say.

The shark resembles a common species called the scalloped hammerhead but has not yet been classified or named.

US researchers say the animal appears to be rare, breeding only in waters off the South Carolina coast.

They believe the shark is at risk of extinction and conservation efforts are needed to protect females when they are raising their pups.

The shark was discovered by a biology professor at the University of South Carolina.

Dr Joe Quattro became curious about a common coastal shark called the scalloped hammerhead shark while studying coastal fish.

Genetic studies revealed that there was a second "cryptic" species - that is, "genetically distinct" from the scalloped hammerhead.

Nursery grounds

The shark appears to breed only in waters off South Carolina, although adults swim into waters off Florida and North Carolina.

Small areas of coastline are significant to certain species and it is so important to consider shark conservation on an area by area basis

Ali Hood, Shark Trust

"If South Carolina's waters are the primary nursery grounds for the cryptic species and females gather here to reproduce, these areas should be conservation priorities," said Dr Quattro.

"Management plans are needed to ensure that these sharks are not adversely impacted so that we can learn more."

Scientists plan to tag the shark so they can understand more about its range.

Ali Hood, director of conservation at the Shark Trust in the UK, said with only 454 recorded species of shark in the wild, it was exciting to discover another one.

"It shows how small areas of coastline are significant to certain species and it is so important to consider shark conservation on an area by area basis," she said.
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helluva find. thumbsup.gif I find it a tad annoying when people look at the sky and think that's the only place left to humans to find and discover when our oceans are so very little explored.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• “I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”
    Genghis Khan

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

We know more about the moon then we do about the oceans floors thumbsup.gif

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

Nice find...Probably fight like a hammerhead also.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

I was hoping it would have laserbeams on it's forhead. Oh well, I guess I can always hold out for an ill tempered sea bass.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#5    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Yeah I wonder if it is as agressive as a known hammerhead?  Again, another reason for me to stay out of the ocean!!   grin2.gif

#6    VonnaNegra

VonnaNegra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hammerheads used too freak me out but the one in the pic looks kinda cute, and since they're endangerd i'll have a lil more compassion for them.

Edited by VonnaNegra, 15 June 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#7    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hammerheads used too freak me out but the one in the pic looks kinda cute, and if their endangerd i'll have more copassin for them.

What is copassin?   huh.gif

#8    VonnaNegra

VonnaNegra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

What is copassin?   huh.gif

sorry,that was a typo, but i fixed it

#9    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

sorry,that was a typo, but i fixed it

Oh, sorry.   grin2.gif   I understand now!!  I thought you had something weird for them!   laugh.gif

#10    Griffon

Griffon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others.
    ~~ Amelia Earhart

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

Finaly, a new species in the US. You hardly ever find any here anymore.

#11    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

Finaly, a new species in the US. You hardly ever find any here anymore.

Uhhh, over 100 new species have been found in N. America, (60 in the U.S.) in the last year original.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#12    OlDrippy34

OlDrippy34

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

• If I woke up looking like that, I would just run to the nearest living thing and just kill it.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Another reason for me to hate the water.  There's monsters in there, maaan.  All kinds of monsters that want nothing other than to bleed me dry.

All women are evil; the ugly ones just waste it on hating the pretty chicks.

#13    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:28 PM

What if it's endangered for reasons we have nothing to do with? The vast majority of extinctions didn't need our help at all, it's rather arrogant of us to think we can save a species that may well be nearing the end of it's run anyhow.

Okay, so we did kill off the dodo and some other animals, but yanno, we're amateurs compared to mother nature. She goes big, man!

Nothing to see here.

#14    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

Agh! I hate it when there is a thread about sharks and people say stuff like "another reason to stay out of the water". That kind of attitude  is the reason some shark species are endangered. Shark attacks are rare at the most.

I find sharks very cool. Especially hammerheads.

Edited by MJB222, 19 June 2006 - 12:12 AM.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#15    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:00 AM

Agh! I hate it when there is a thread about sharks and people say stuff like "another reason to stay out of the water". That kind of attitude is the reason some shark species are endangered. Shark attacks are rare at the most.

And it's only 3 species that have ever killed a human.

Sharks are also very fun to catch on rod and reel.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users