Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Beer Ingredient May Fight Prostate Cancer

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

As some of us that have been keeping up with the "Milk" thread... you have noticed that a small debate on the good and bad of drinking alcohol was brought  up... I have found a news release on a new study on drinking beer... (let's keep it civil people)  thumbsup.gif

Beer Ingredient May Fight Prostate Cancer

Jun 12, 7:50 AM (ET)

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) - A main ingredient in beer may help prevent prostate cancer and enlargement, according to a new study. But researchers say don't rush out to stock the refrigerator because the ingredient is present in such small amounts that a person would have to drink more than 17 beers to benefit.

Oregon State University researchers say the compound xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a specific protein in the cells along the surface of the prostate gland.

The protein acts like a signal switch that turns on a variety of animal and human cancers, including prostate cancer.

Cancer typically results from uncontrolled cell reproduction and growth. Xanthohumol belongs to a group of plant compounds called flavonoids, which can trigger the programmed cell death that controls growth, researchers say.

Xanthohumol was first discovered in hops in 1913, but its health effects were not known until about 10 years ago, when it was first studied by Fred Stevens, assistant professor of medicinal chemistry at OSU's College of Pharmacy.

Last fall, Stevens published an update on xanthohumol in the journal Phytochemistry that drew international attention.

Stevens says it possible for drug companies to develop pills containing concentrated doses of the flavonoid found in the hops used to brew beer.

He also says researchers could work to increase the xanthohumol content of hops.

There are already a number of food supplements on the market containing hops, and scientists in Germany have developed a beer that contains 10 times the amount of xanthohumol as traditional brews. The drink is being marketed as a healthy beer, but research is still under way to determine if it has any effect against cancer.

The latest Oregon State University research was published in a recent issue of Cancer Letters.

Source/Link

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#2    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Darn it ...why dont I like the taste of beer...damn damn damn.....ohhh welll unsure.gif

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

Thats good news for me I'm a typical Canadian eh, love da beers in the summer and da winter , ok I like my beer and wow, to bad there is that  whole in moderation thing to worry about errrrrrrr

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

there's so many flavors of beers, unless you just don't like alcohol, or have a reaction to what's in beer... there should be a flavor out there for everyone.

Course I consider all lagers, ales, pilsners, etc... to all be beer, others disagree... original.gif

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

there's so many flavors of beers, unless you just don't like alcohol, or have a reaction to what's in beer... there should be a flavor out there for everyone.

Course I consider all lagers, ales, pilsners, etc... to all be beer, others disagree... original.gif

BM loves alchol really LOL but no matter what beer I have tried I hate the taste of it...aww shucks!!!! no fair aaaaaakkkkk user posted image

#6    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

Xanthohumal, falls wihtin the range of compounds called Xanthones, it was originally detected in an extract from hops(humulus lupulus) found to be present in beer, But one would have to drink 120 gallons of beer per day too have any significant effect, because minute quanitiys are in hops....until the discovery of the  Ashataba plant , it had no safe, practical use.......

this is the typical 'propaganda ' study that not only is dessigned to sell alcohol but the interesting thing is how many just take it on fact...so many things are marketed this way and health is a wholeness idea..buying intot the idea that health is in a pill or a alcoholic beverage gee who benefits from this?????    Understanding this you get real quick the study is absurd and who its put out by is equally absurd...

Edited by Sheri berri, 13 June 2006 - 04:46 AM.

#7    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

its not just Beer that is meant to be good...a lot of doctors will tell you to drink a glass of red wine each day yes.gif

#8    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,714 posts

~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

its not just Beer that is meant to be good...a lot of doctors will tell you to drink a glass of red wine each day yes.gif

I know i have heard of those studys, but they also said cigarettes were good for you at one point in history too, i was actually told by a doctor that ciggs wouldn't hurt anything if you can bleeive that  no.gif  rolleyes.gif ......I'm very leery of those studys the dangers associated with alcohol is quite a bit as of late more and more is coming out about the negative effects of alcohol....In the states alcohol is marketed very interestingly, for one it targets lower incomes , its the one way you can 'feel good about your lot in life"  You can't possibly have a good time without alcohol most holidays are centralized around drinking..
Frog posted a bunch of links about the benefits of wine i don't beleive it the back of the alcohol bottle clearly warns of the risks of drinking, its on every alcohol sold here...i don't know about your country...but if it will cause birth defects in an infant and I'm nursing my child and what i get he gets I would never trust a study or any doctor telling me beer is good for the breast milk and they do  rolleyes.gif .....today someone ws telling me that his old girlfriend did all kinds of drugs pregnant drank blah blah her son is just fine he says, i know this kid  he has ADHD so bad no one can deal wiht him his life is doctors and meds...I said i wouldn't call this kid normal and unaffected by the things she did pregnant....   rolleyes.gif

#9    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

if one looks hard enough, some "good" can be found in anything.

that said, take a look at the following article.  I am posting only one for sake of brevity.  The results have been repeated in many studies.  Note what I have bolded.

Study Shows Beer Has Same Benefits As Red Wine  Sep 14th, 2004  

Beer drinkers can toast the news that their favourite beverage possesses the same benefits as red wine, the alcohol long celebrated for its antioxidant properties.

Researchers at The University of Western Ontario have found one drink of beer or wine provides equivalent increases in plasma antioxidant activity, which helps prevent the oxidization of blood plasma by toxic free radicals that trigger many aging diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and cataracts.

Biochemistry and kinesiology professor John Trevithick, one of the lead researchers and a long-time expert on the role of antioxidants in human health, says, "We were very surprised one drink of beer or stout contributed an equal amount of antioxidant benefit as wine, especially since red wine contains about 20 times the amount of polyphenols as beer."

Polyphenols are the compounds in plants that help prevent UV damage from the sun and make the plant cell wall strong. They are believed to have antioxidant benefits when consumed by the human body. Even though red wine contains more polyphenols than beer, this study showed the body absorbs about equally effective amounts of bioactive molecules such as polyphenols from beer and wine. Beer, wine, stout, and matured spirits (rum, whisky, sherry and port), which extract tannins from the oak casks they are matured or stored in, all contain significant amounts of polyphenols.

While studies have shown one daily drink of almost any alcoholic beverage can help reduce the risk of many aging diseases, Trevithick cautions larger daily intakes (three drinks per day) actually increase the risk of these diseases. His study suggests the risk is increased because three drinks result in the blood becoming pro-oxidant. This phenomenon is known as "hormesis", the concept that small doses of a toxic substance can have beneficial effects while a large amount is harmful

The study will be published in the journal Nonlinearity in Biology, Toxicology and Medicine this December. Trevithick is cross-appointed in the School of Kinesiology in the Faculty of Health Sciences and in the Schulich School of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

http://communications.uwo.ca/media_newsroo...isting_id=14653

as I mentioned in the other thread, the issue is identifying the therapeudic-toxic threshold.

Edited by hyperactive, 12 June 2006 - 10:58 PM.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#10    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,714 posts

~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:48 PM

Interesting Hyper, antioxidant benefits hmmm....I wanted to add that I wonder how much your overall health figures in with the study hmmm ??? I'd think that one of exemplary health may not have a issue with one 5 ounces of wine but what about the person on medications and not good health to begin with... anyhoo I found this to add to your article ...
What is a drink?
12 ounces of regular beer (150 calories)
5 ounces of wine (100 calories)
1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits (100 calories)
(This limit is based on differences between the sexes in both weight and metabolism. Beer ranges considerably in its alcohol content, with malt liquor being higher in its alcohol content than most other brewed beverages...

Personally i would  hope to  opt out on the alcohol as any sort of health measure..... grin2.gif

On the OP it seems you need to consume 120 gallons of beer a day to reap the benefits... rofl.gif

Edited by Sheri berri, 12 June 2006 - 11:50 PM.

#11    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

no doubt sheri,

for any therapeudic property found in acoholic beverages there is a better source to be found elsewhere.

the question is, will people use a study to justify their drinking habits, or will society study drinks and drinking habits to determine their effects? (both)  People drink, so it is prudent to research the effects.  People smoke so it is prudent to research the effects.  People drink milk so it is prudent to research the effects.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#12    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,714 posts

~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

no doubt sheri,

for any therapeudic property found in acoholic beverages there is a better source to be found elsewhere.

the question is, will people use a study to justify their drinking habits, or will society study drinks and drinking habits to determine their effects? (both)  People drink, so it is prudent to research the effects.  People smoke so it is prudent to research the effects.  People drink milk so it is prudent to research the effects.

I agree, I would of liked to of seen those added alternatives to getting antioxidants (blueberries) or having a healthy heart by exercising and limiting to not eating animal at all or why are't we centered around doing things that benefit the health...why is alcohol the staple of happiness and good times..why are cigarettes touted as a great way to relieve stress? I have alot of concern for the kids alot of teens use alcohol...sad to say but many will use these studys to drink more.......

#13    SAMURAI-X

SAMURAI-X

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• "I am the wisest man alive,for I know one thing,and that is I know nothing"-Socrates

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

Darn it ...why dont I like the taste of beer...damn damn damn.....ohhh welll unsure.gif

I don't think anybody likes the taste of it at first, you have to drink it a awhile to gain a taste for it. But on the subject that is great, I always thought it should be a good thing to drink yes.gif

The Battousai

Posted Image
"When you're strange, Faces come out of the rain, When you're strange, No one remembers you're name, When you're strange, When you're strange, When you're strange" The Doors

Posted Image
Thanks to Mr. Fahrenheit for the avatar animation and tiddlyjen for the sig

#14    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

Sheri, stop spreading your propaganda. You never post any evidence at ALL. Unlike others here, you have no credibility to your claims.

The pros of a glass of wine or beer a day are greatly significant to the cons.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#15    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:48 AM

sherri beer is one of the brest substutes to water in times of hardship its sterile because the yeast lkills other bacteria and fungi and can stay good for a very long time. red wine actualy increases red blood cell count and has anti oxidents. yes if u drink like a moron u will damage ur body but a single glass of red wine is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users