Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New email virus warning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 27 April 2002 - 05:47 AM

There is a new email virus you need to be made aware of. Click HERE for more information.

Magikman  :sh

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 27 April 2002 - 04:52 PM

:st Ty Magikman

not a very nice thing  :s9

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#3    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, I've been getting loads of those damn e-mails the last week or so.  >:( :-/

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#4    Logic

Logic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the warning there is also one that goes through email
and it says:
"a virtual card for you"
Beware of those also.

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 April 2002 - 04:46 PM

I keep getting sent E-Mails from various addresses and with various titles, but each of them has a variation of this :

This is a new game
This game is my first work.
You're the first player.
I hope you would like it.

Each one has slightly different wording. I  can't see any attachments or any other potential virus-carrying additions to the E-Mails. Anyone else got anything like this ?

#6    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:18 PM

Yes, i spent a fun day last week clearing Klez from my companies' network. took most of a day, and there is still one laptop which is not functioning very happily atm.
Be warned too that Klez also disguises itself as mailer-daemon messages telling you that the message you sent was undeliverable - and has an attachment which proports to be the email you sent out. The idea being that it hopes you will want to open the letter out of curiousity to see which one it was that you sent out that didn't reach it's destination. It isn't a message but the virus and if you open it it will infect your PC (Macs are immune to Klez).

never take me too seriously

#7    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:22 AM

SaRuMaN - that is Klez.h as well.
more info here

Also be warned that you don't need to open the attachment to start the virus infecting. If you haven't patched MS Office with SR-1a then just looking at or previewing the email will run the attachment.
This is how the system at my work got it.

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 May 2002 - 12:55 PM

PS,

Thanks for letting me know - I'm using Outlook ever since my Outlook Express stopped working, and I was a bit concerned that unlike Outlook Express, script files are not treated as attachments and seem to run by themselves.

I'm going to go and download SR1a in just a few minutes.

:su

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:03 PM

Actually it seems that Outlook XP blocks harmful E-Mail attachments by default, which is why I can't view them. I ran a Klez cleaning tool and it seems that I don't have the virus on my computer.  SR1a is only for Outlook 2000 or other earlier versions, so I wasn't able to install it anyway.

:sk

#10    Mystify

Mystify

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 08:56 PM

Geeesh... I hope I never get any of those suckers

I'm here today because of the past, i respect my self and all i have become and there for i do not regret the road i've walked.

#11    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:53 PM

Sorry yep your right, 2000 only... i deal with it so much i forget there are other versions  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users