Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Corcodile From Oz.

psyche101

Psyche101land :D

A new fossil from the age of the dinosaurs suggests modern crocodiles originated in Queensland, not Europe or North America as previously thought.

An international team of palaeontologists say fossils discovered in the central-western Queensland town of Isisford are that of the world's most primitive modern crocodile.

The report on the fossilised remains of the most primitive ancestor of modern crocodiles, has been published in the Royal Society journal Proceedings B.

Source

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• Idriss

• draconic chronicler

• psyche101

Prehistoric crocs were sometimes bipedal. This one was probably not.

Prehistoric crocs were sometimes bipedal. This one was probably not.

:o Bipedal !! That would be a sight!! A walking croc!

Might you consider one of those for the next Dino of the day :) I'd love to learn about that one :yes:

I posted one in the Dinosaur of the Day thread :yes:

Bipedal crocodiles? Like Joan Rivers? That's scary!

:lol: dam thats funny

Awesome. We invented crocodiles.

sorry to take your thunder but there are other countries who have had crocodiles much longer than Australia :rofl: take NZ we had crocs Millions of years ago AND snakes :tu:

sorry to take your thunder but there are other countries who have had crocodiles much longer than Australia take NZ we had crocs Millions of years ago AND snakes

Crocs were actually evolved somewhere in Asia when we had Pangea.

India has the biggest crocs in the world :yes:

Crocs were actually evolved somewhere in Asia when we had Pangea.

India has the biggest crocs in the world :yes:

yeah i know this i was just debating the fact that 'australia invented crocodiles' by using an example of another country who has had crocodiles for millions of years. but thanks for the facts frogfish :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

frogfish did you say (India has the biggest crocs in the world ) When good old aussie has the biggest croc in the world

frogfish did you say (India has the biggest crocs in the world ) When good old aussie has the biggest croc in the world

Yes, there is actually a thread in the Natural Science forum about how India currently has the worlds biggest crocs :tu:

I think people misunderstand the point of the thread. The oldest fossils of what we know as "modern crocodiles" has been found in Australia. There are many, far older crocdiles from other places, but they are evoluitonary "dead ends".

"Salties" range all over the Southeast Asian region, not just Australia. One nearly "got me" in Sri Lanka!

"Salties" range all over the Southeast Asian region

and into Oceania...

they have large crocs yes :yes: but not the largest :no:

They are the exact same Croc, guys, it just so happens that India has reliably measured the largest living Salt Water Croc. No one really knows where the largest wild croc is, until it is found.

They are the exact same Croc, guys, it just so happens that India has reliably measured the largest living Salt Water Croc. No one really knows where the largest wild croc is, until it is found

:yes: I am not insulting Aussie in anyway...