Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GIANT MONSTERS

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Giant Sloth

user posted image

The giant ground sloth (Megatherium) was one of the enormous creatures that thrived during the ice ages. Looking a little bit like an oversized hamster it probably fed on leaves found on the lower branches of trees or bushes. The largest of these ground sloths was Megatherium which grew to the size of a modern elephant with a weight over five tons.

Giant Crocodile

user posted image

The prehistoric Sarcosuchus (pronounced SAR-koh-SOO-kiss, and meaning "flesh crocodile", nicknamed the SuperCroc) from the early Cretaceous of Africa is one of the largest giant crocodile-like reptiles that ever lived. It was almost twice as long as the largest modern crocodile, and weighed up to 10 times as much.

Giant Squid

user posted image

Giant squid, once believed to be mythical creatures, are squid of the Architeuthidae family, represented by as many as eight species of the genus Architeuthis. They are deep-ocean dwelling squid that can grow to a tremendous size: recent estimates put the maximum size at 10 m (34 ft) for males and 13 m (44 ft) for females from caudal fin to the tip of the two long tentacles (second only to the Colossal Squid at an estimated 14 m, one of the largest living organisms). The mantle length, though, is only about 2 m (7 ft) in length (more for females, less for males), and the length of the squid excluding its tentacles is about 5 m (16 ft). There were reported claims of specimens of up to 20 m (66 ft), but none had been scientifically documented. On September 30, 2004, researchers from the National Science Museum of Japan and the Ogasawara Whale Watching Association took the first images of live giant squid in their natural habitat. The photos were released a year later.

Giant Spider

user posted image

The Megarachne a giant mygalomorph spider(‘tarantula’) and, with its body length of 339 mm, the largest known spider ever to have lived on Earth.

Giant Komodo

user posted image

The giant Komodo (Megalania) is an extinct giant monitor lizard. It was one of the megafauna that roamed southern Australia, and appears to have become extinct around 40,000 years ago. Once thought to belong to a distinct genus called Megalania prisca (which means “ancient giant butcher”), it is now recognized as a species in the genus Varanus, which encompases all monitor lizards. The first aboriginal settlers of Australia may have encountered living Megalania. Megalania was a giant lizard, reaching lengths of 5 to 6 metres (about 17 to 20 feet). Megalania was the largest lizard that ever lived, and was a fearsome predator, with heavily built limbs and body and a solid skull full of short blade-teeth. Due to its size and similarities to the Komodo Dragon, a relationship between the two species has been suggested. In reality however Megalania's closest relative is the perentie, Australia's largest extant lizard.

Giant Flying Dino

user posted image

The giant flying dinosaur Quetzalcoatlus, named after the Aztec feathered serpent god Quetzalcoatl, was a pterodactyloid pterosaur known from the Late Cretaceous of North America (Campanian - Maastrichtian stages, 84-65 ma), and one of the largest known flying animals of all time. It was a member of the Azhdarchidae, a group of advanced toothless pterosaurs.

Skeletal remains of two species have been recovered from the Big Bend Region of Texas; the larger of the two (Q. northropi) had an estimated wingspan of up to 12m (39 feet). There is still considerable debate as to the upper limit of Quetzalcoatlus wingspans. The largest remains, on display at the Science Museum of Minnesota, are somewhat scrappy, and may indicate an individual with a wingspan as large as 18m (59 feet). Such a wingspan, however, may violate fundamental structural limits imposed on biological fliers; some scientists favor a wingspan closer to 9m (30 feet) in light of these arguments. The largest Pteranodon individuals with 6 metre (20 foot) wingspans were once thought to represent the size limit in biological fliers before the discovery of Quetzacoatlus, so the matter is clearly still open

Saber Tooth Cat

user posted image

Smilodon (Greek: "Knife-Tooth") is an extinct genus of large machairodontine saber-toothed cats that are understood to have lived between approximately 3 million to 10,000 years ago in North and South America. They are the only known successors to Machairodus. Smilodon means knife tooth, an entirely appropriate name given its enormous fangs. The smilodon species are also known as Saber-Toothed Cats (which is imprecise because there are other, unrelated saber-toothed "cats") or Saber-Toothed Tigers (which is inaccurate, as they were not tigers)

A fully-grown Smilodon weighed approximately 200 kilograms (450 pounds) and had a short tail, powerful legs and a large head. About the size of a lion, smilodon was extremely powerful. Its jaws could open 120 degrees. Its fangs were about 17 cm (7 inches) long.

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:
A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

#2    SAMURAI-X

SAMURAI-X

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• "I am the wisest man alive,for I know one thing,and that is I know nothing"-Socrates

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

Isn't there a legend that the gaint komodo is still alive in australia?

Wouldn't want to run into that guy.

The Battousai

Posted Image
"When you're strange, Faces come out of the rain, When you're strange, No one remembers you're name, When you're strange, When you're strange, When you're strange" The Doors

Posted Image
Thanks to Mr. Fahrenheit for the avatar animation and tiddlyjen for the sig

#3    paquetboy1

paquetboy1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

• I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I like the crocidile.

#4    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

The Megarachne a giant mygalomorph spider(‘tarantula’) and, with its body length of 339 mm, the largest known spider ever to have lived on Earth.

If I saw a spider with a "Body" over a foot long I'd probably have a heart attack, easy meal.  With legs and all that would be like 20 inches...  pretty dang big!  ew

#5    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Isn't there a legend that the gaint komodo is still alive in australia?

Wouldn't want to run into that guy.

never heard of that one...have any stories about that subject?

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#6    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

If I saw a spider with a "Body" over a foot long I'd probably have a heart attack, easy meal.  With legs and all that would be like 20 inches...  pretty dang big!  ew

LoL...come on, you cant be serius, or are you?

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#7    Propellerhead

Propellerhead

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Why is it that in the past all living animals were supersized?...i do not understant why...

#8    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:45 PM

haha well... I dunno till it happens tongue.gif

Thinking about how it could probably drag me across a room... seen spiders take on some pretty big things comparitively...

And then seen the regular ones jump... dang... one that big...

Even if I didn't have a heart attack, I'd probably still have to change my chonies...

#9    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

Why is it that in the past all living animals were supersized?...i do not understant why...

Well im not an expert on that subject, but i think it was that in that era the bigger the better

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#10    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

here you go   http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...cial_s%26sa%3DN

#11    mandricius

mandricius

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

Your question is a good one...and has not been answered.

Some say that it had to do with the food quality - and some say it was a defense against predators.

...both are guesses.

#12    wolverinno

wolverinno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• "Theres no peace for me even here"

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

When you look at things, not all dinosaurs were big. Life started off small, and as time went on and the world become poplulated with life. What is happening is how well they adapt to their surrounds and how evolution changes them. The Earth's climate is always changing in order for the animals to survive they need to adapt.

Posted Image
"You and me are though dancing Mr. demon"
- wolverine

#13    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

When you look at things, not all dinosaurs were big. Life started off small, and as time went on and the world become poplulated with life. What is happening is how well they adapt to their surrounds and how evolution changes them. The Earth's climate is always changing in order for the animals to survive they need to adapt.

She did not mean dinosaurs only, she meant all living creatures, not only dinosaurs...

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#14    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

Possibly it had something to do with the plants, which allowed the herbivores to grow bigger, which in turn allowed the carnivores to grow bigger.

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#15    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

Possibly it had something to do with the plants, which allowed the herbivores to grow bigger, which in turn allowed the carnivores to grow bigger.

Good theory...but what exactly was it?

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users