Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GIANT MONSTERS

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    uncle john

uncle john

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• al bundy : It's amazing! They don't even have gravity in Wanker county but they have the home shopping network!!!

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

user posted image

Arctodus simus (Cope-1897), the Short Faced Bear, became extinct approx 11,000 years ago. This individual died approx 28,000 years ago and was found in Alaska. Other specimens have been found in several locations from Mexico to Alaska. These bears were extremely large and weight estimates have been in excess of 1300 lbs. It is thought that they could have easily hunted man and is considered the largest predatory mammal to have roamed the earth. This specimen was approximately five feet at the hip and stood about 12 feet tall. We are grateful to the Babiarz Institute of Paleontological Studies for the opportunity to cast this individual. The photo shown here was taken at one of our exhibits. Post-cranium parts available. Please inquire. Our standerd mounts are shown on the left. As with all of our skeletons, custom mounting is available, please enquire. See Associated Products Below

http://www.myspace.com/unclejohn1968

Posted Image

shut up brain or i will stab you with a Q tip .

#17    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

haha well... I dunno till it happens tongue.gif

Thinking about how it could probably drag me across a room... seen spiders take on some pretty big things comparitively...

And then seen the regular ones jump... dang... one that big...

Even if I didn't have a heart attack, I'd probably still have to change my chonies...

I'd be right there with you Celumnaz!!!.... I am terrified of spiders oh... and Camel Crickets... I swear those things are not of this world... (if you look closely.. they do resemble the aliens in the break room on the movie Men In Black)  ph34r.gif

user posted image  - Camel Cricket

user posted image - Men In Black Alien

w00t.gif

And I know they will not hurt me... but boy can they make me hurt myself!!!

Edited by Nxt2Hvn, 14 June 2006 - 07:59 PM.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#18    uncle john

uncle john

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• al bundy : It's amazing! They don't even have gravity in Wanker county but they have the home shopping network!!!

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

user posted image

The huge Indricotheres “Indrik beast” of the Oligocene were the largest land mammals ever to have lived standing 4.5 meters at the shoulder and weighing 15 tons. They were just larger than the Colombian mammoth, and the largest of the Deinotheres. Although they are members of the  running rhino family, they became adapted to browsing the tops of trees like modern giraffes. Their whole body was stretched upwards to do this, with very long legs and a long neck. They roamed across most of Eurasia, the largest being found in Mongolia   The fossils show that males were slightly bigger than females, with slightly more domed and reinforced skulls, suggesting that the males fought rather like modern giraffes.
00 years ago).

user posted image

Edited by uncle john, 14 June 2006 - 08:06 PM.

http://www.myspace.com/unclejohn1968

Posted Image

shut up brain or i will stab you with a Q tip .

#19    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Megafauna mainly existed in the Continent of Autstralia, although some did exist in N. America.

The Denziens of the Deep are missing! Where's kronosaurus, Basilisaurus, Liopleurodon, Megalodon, Xiphactinus, and the others?

Edited by frogfish, 14 June 2006 - 09:25 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#20    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

Why is it that in the past all living animals were supersized?...i do not understant why...

Lots of animals from the past were a lot bigger than the ones we see today, but not all of them. There have been many different small animals, even in the age of the dinosaurs, they just aren't well heard of. In the future, there will most definetely be a return of giant animals. After the extinction of the dinosaurs, only the smaller animals survived as they required less nutrition (which meant mammals became very successful), so almost all life on Earth at the moment evolved from the smallest animals of that period.

Also one more reason why animals in the past have been bigger is the smaller supply of oxygen. More oxygen = bigger animals, and during different periods of the Earth's history there have been much larger amounts of oxygen than we have today.

So yeah, there have been many different animals in the past (big and small), and in the future there will be many more big and small animals.

thumbsup.gif

#21    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

Lots of animals from the past were a lot bigger than the ones we see today, but not all of them. There have been many different small animals, even in the age of the dinosaurs, they just aren't well heard of. In the future, there will most definetely be a return of giant animals. After the extinction of the dinosaurs, only the smaller animals survived as they required less nutrition (which meant mammals became very successful), so almost all life on Earth at the moment evolved from the smallest animals of that period.

Also one more reason why animals in the past have been bigger is the smaller supply of oxygen. More oxygen = bigger animals, and during different periods of the Earth's history there have been much larger amounts of oxygen than we have today.

So yeah, there have been many different animals in the past (big and small), and in the future there will be many more big and small animals.

thumbsup.gif

I see, but why in the present there arent any giagantic animals like the dinosars?

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:
A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

#22    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

I see, but why in the present there arent any giagantic animals like the dinosars?

Because the environment today cannot support such large terrestial animals.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#23    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:59 AM

I found one, they say that the Teratorn only died off slowly, after the megafauna. I guess after their were no more herds of giants to eat.

user posted image

user posted image

Giant birds of prey, the Argentinian Teratorn (argentavis magnificens),were as large as a man, weighing 170 - 200 lbs but with wingspans of over twenty-five feet and individual wing feather lengths as long as five feet, flew within recorded history. A twenty-five foot plus wing size would limit such a bird to more open areas such as the South American pampas or the North American great plains (Thunderbirds), as maneuverability around trees and shrubs would seem difficult. Feather size is estimated to have been 1.5 meters long (60 inches); and 20 centimeters wide (8 inches),

I wonder why no one has put it together that the megafauna flourished in the Ice Age when their was obviously more land mass for them to roam on.

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#24    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

megafauna flourished in the Ice Age when their was obviously more land mass for them to roam on.

That's not a reason no.gif Many Megafauna where held to Australia, which was isolated...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#25    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Although megafauna were abundant in Austrailia they were a world wide phenomenon, they still are in Africa and southern Asia. Even on isolated islands, Madagascar had its giant lemurs and in the UK the giant elk. It just seems to me that with more land to spread out in there was more room to grow... Kind of like a gold fish or an iguana, keep them in a smaller tank and they will stay small for years, but as soon as you move them to a bigger area they start to grow. I'm not saying that is happened all at once, but  over generations. When the sea level rose and land mass smaller, competition for food drove the larger animals, who needed more nourishment, into extinction

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#26    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:02 AM

Size of the landmass is one of the smaller factors...The amount of resources isn't directly linked...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#27    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• 1,896 posts

• "There's no earthly way of knowing. Which direction they are going! There's no knowing where they're rowing, Or which way they river's flowing!."

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

Isn't there a legend that the gaint komodo is still alive in australia?

Wouldn't want to run into that guy.

Yes, there has been a few possible sightings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania_prisca

Edited by Jack_of_Blades, 09 July 2006 - 07:41 AM.

"Stone people should not live in glass houses"
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
"Don't forget that your beliefs are meaningless unless your the one screaming loudest."
"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they are all useful but selfserving."

#28    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'm still not hearing any argument as to why my theory is unsound????

Posted Image

#29    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'm still not hearing any argument as to why my theory is unsound????

Landmass is not linked to resources...You could have a large landmass thats desert, or a smaller landmass thats a temporal forest...The forest would have more resources.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#30    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

Well the fact that these land masses supported similar yet larger animals than today it can be assumed that the environment was at least similar, Madagascar was still a jungle full of aboreal animals, the UK still provided wide open grasslands ect... So it could be assumed that these land masses had the same resources but more overall land

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users