Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do children have a 6th sense?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1    BellaLuna

BellaLuna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• "Enjoy the minute that has just passed
    It will not dwell nor linger on.
    Once the seconds have turned a new
    Forever it is lost and gone."

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:25 PM

Can children see and sense more than adults? I ask this because I have noticed things that my son has said to me since he was about 5 yrs. I do not and never have encouraged what he says he knows and sees. I am sort of a skeptic but willing to learn and understand.

#2    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:36 PM

hmmm... I have heard many accounts of that. Here is one example: One of my bosses, who is quite the conservative & practical individual I might add, actually pondered that very thing you do. He told me how his young son has this "invisible" friend who is an indian. Now from what I understand invisible "friends" can be common... but his son provides him with intimate details of this particular indian culture to the point where it's impossible for the kid to know this information (my boss did some research on the subject)... Apparently it doesnt come from school nor anything he could catch on tv or anything in his environment... What could it be? A really in-depth imagination? A ghost? Past Life?  

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#3    BellaLuna

BellaLuna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• "Enjoy the minute that has just passed
    It will not dwell nor linger on.
    Once the seconds have turned a new
    Forever it is lost and gone."

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:41 PM

Children have such active imaginations. One never knows where they get ideas from. This is why I normally attribute anything I can't explain to coincidence. I am sure I am wrong for thinking this way. Hopefully no one here will be mad at me for saying that.  whistling2.gif

#4    Engulf

Engulf

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

• "The wise only speaks when it is right, while the fool always speaks as though he is right."

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:58 PM

Don't really know anything about this but I've heard before that babies,or little kids are much better with thier mind ability,I meant like esp because they could concentrate much better than adults,well because we do lots of thinking (bla blas)everyday while they don't do that too much so basically thier concentration is much easier to achieve than us trying to do it.

"Remember the truth is not for everyone - most people just do not want to know." --Robert Morningsky

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparible." --Brenda Ueland

"Knowledge is strength, ignorance does not grant you any immunity." --Purple Crow

"I do not see any sin in the world, but I see a great deal of ignorance." --George Sand

#5    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 05:17 PM

Children, the younger they are the more they can see and pick up on, babies for instance seem to be able to 'see' ghosts and other things around them that adults can not, just as babies are all synaesthesiasts, which means they can see sounds and hear colours.

The chances are that as babies we have a 6th sense that we grow out of as we grow older, as we learn to talk and learn other things and ways to communicate.  Only a very small percentage of people keep this 6th sense and they turn out to be mediums and psychics.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#6    CASTOR

CASTOR

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." -George Bernard Shaw

Posted 15 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

i dont know about children, but i think animals have a sense. im sure this has been talked about, but we had a cat that i think could see things. my mom said it just had a good imagination, but the things it did were a little crazy for it to be all in the cats head. it would lay in our dining room and swat at something, then take off across the floor and then spin back around like it was going to break its back, and jump and slam into stuff. it was crazy. i loved to watch it. but then it would follow whatever it was with its eyes and all of the sudden it would be looking above my head, that creaped me out. then all around in front of me and stuff. i would try to follow where it was looking, but i never saw anything. maybe the cat was crazy, OR MAYBE IT WASNT ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

CASTOR

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

#7    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (CASTOR @ Oct 15 2003, 01:41 PM)
it would lay in our dining room and swat at something, then take off across the floor and then spin back around like it was going to break its back, and jump and slam into stuff. it was crazy. i loved to watch it. but then it would follow whatever it was with its eyes and all of the sudden it would be looking above my head, that creaped me out. then all around in front of me and stuff. i would try to follow where it was looking, but i never saw anything. maybe the cat was crazy, OR MAYBE IT WASNT ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

CASTOR

hehe... thats how my cat would react if it was sitting too close to us while we "puffed". whistling2.gif  cat.gif  

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#8    reese2

reese2

Psychic Spy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:43 PM

lmao @ pappagooch    laugh.gif  laugh.gif  whistling2.gif  

UA & Barman's Animated Avatar wish list, for the imaginative yet simple minded....  !!!

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Some of the most beautiful works of art, are often not work at all...

#9    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:48 PM

My Mom said that when I was very young I would ask her questions like, What happened to my wife, or where was I when I was dead. They could have just been questions that I came up with from hearing people talking about different things. Maybe around the time of my Grandmother's funeral.

I don't remember being married or a past life now, but as a child who knows.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

#10    colorless

colorless

Psychic Spy

• 1,480 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:09 PM

This might not make much sense. I can't really explain it, but...

Remember that feeling you get when you start something long over again? When I was little, I remember always getting that feeling.

#11    Diamond JO

Diamond JO

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 12:41 AM

How do birds know to fly south, how do salmon know to swim back to where they used to live, or turtles know to lay their eggs in the sand instead of having them at sea? Instinct, just as a baby has the instinct to suckle and to move and to learn how to talk, to watch and mimic. Instinct is passed on from generation to generation, memories from a previous generation, of what is learned. So if your ancestor was attacked by a dog, or stung by a bee then that will be passed on to you. This is all those so called past lives are, people tapping into the memories of some dead ancestor, same with the invisible friends.

#12    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Diamond JO @ Oct 16 2003, 12:41 AM)
How do birds know to fly south, how do salmon know to swim back to where they used to live, or turtles know to lay their eggs in the sand instead of having them at sea? Instinct, just as a baby has the instinct to suckle and to move and to learn how to talk, to watch and mimic. Instinct is passed on from generation to generation, memories from a previous generation, of what is learned. So if your ancestor was attacked by a dog, or stung by a bee then that will be passed on to you. This is all those so called past lives are, people tapping into the memories of some dead ancestor, same with the invisible friends.

I don't know if I really believe that memories can be "inherited", if that is what you mean. Instinct is more along the lines of the need to survive. But I guess instinct could me made up of tiny bits of memory, so you may be right.

Someone smarter than me needs to come and explain the difference between memories and instinct.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

#13    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:31 PM

Memories - an actual event that occured, and that you experienced, that you can recall.

Instinct - a conditioned responce to a set of circumstances or conditions. These are usually natural responces, based on how our brain is wired. They have nothing to do with memory...memory induces a thought out responce to a situation based on experience, instinct is subconscious.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#14    CASTOR

CASTOR

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." -George Bernard Shaw

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:18 PM

Seraphina, you hit the nail right on the head. Instinct can also be called, reflexs in some cases. i am in Learning psychology right now and we are teaching rats to bar press, and i tell you what, it is harder than i thought. well, i guess not harder, but more time consuming. we have to know everything about cognition, Pavlov, Descartes, Darwin,..... almost everyone that did anything to do with the learning process. its fun though.

CASTOR

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

#15    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:30 PM

Actually....I think you'll find reflexes and instincts are pretty different tongue.gif

A reflex is a sudden, and involentary responce to protect the body from danger and damage...such as blinking when looking into a bright light, grabbing your hand back from something hot, or jumping away from a sudden unexpected movement. It's a muscle reaction, and has absolutely nothing to do with the brain, skipping out thought processes completely.

Instinct is usually a very long responce to a situation, that covers far greater scope than a reflex...you couln't exactly call a bird flying to warmer climates in winter a 'reflex' action. The brain actually has to consider the actions to be taken on a subconscious level, rather than the instant reaction of a reflex, where the time taken to think what to do might endanger the organism.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users