Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why is yawning contagious?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

This is a fact but no one has a fully convincing explanation of why is yawning contagious, we can see someone yawn and unconsciously do the same thing...scientists have recentlu found that this is not only a human conduct but also an animal conduct, but again none seem to know why is is contagious...any clues on this one?

user posted image

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:
A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

#2    Lizard King

Lizard King

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

• I am the Lizard King. I can do anything.

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

*yawns* No joke, when I seen the picture of dude yawning, I had to yawn too.

Strange days have found us.

#3    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

*yawns* No joke, when I seen the picture of dude yawning, I had to yawn too.

I know but go you have any clue why is so contagious?

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#4    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Probabaly seeing someone yawning sets of a response in your brain that triggers your yawning response, which would indicate a relation between sight and yawning in the brain.

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#5    Roxie

Roxie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

It could be a way of making yourself non-threatening to the other person. It may be that when we were sll cavemen, that yawning could have shown that we were tired and therefore not at our best, making us open to attack. Perhaps by also yawning, we show that we don't want to attack the person?  hmm.gif

"People can, and do believe all kinds of utterly idiotic things" -L Michael Hall

"A magician is an actor playing the role of a magician." - Robert Houdin

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

This is a fact but no one has a fully convincing explanation of why is yawning contagious, we can see someone yawn and unconsciously do the same thing...scientists have recentlu found that this is not only a human conduct but also an animal conduct, but again none seem to know why is is contagious...any clues on this one?

user posted image

I am yawning just by looking at this sleepy.gif  so it must be true...it is contagious LOL

I think in a group of men...farting and belching is also contagous...once one guy starts they ALL join in to see who can do the loudest and the smelliest...no joke  blink.gif  w00t.gif

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#7    Bone_Collector

Bone_Collector

-> SkEpToMaNiAc <-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

• You savvy?

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

It is a psychological thing. There is always a thing in us to be unrestricted and free, so when we see someone at ease and yawning, we involuntarily want to do it too and so, viola! We yawn. *yawns* laugh.gif

Edited by Bone_Collector, 19 June 2006 - 09:52 AM.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep... and miles to go before I sleep ~Robert Frost

#8    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

It could be a way of making yourself non-threatening to the other person. It may be that when we were sll cavemen, that yawning could have shown that we were tired and therefore not at our best, making us open to attack. Perhaps by also yawning, we show that we don't want to attack the person?  hmm.gif

Most ideas of why yawning is contagious stem from the neanderthals, but zarvirus says it happens among animals aswell, so it should have happened long before cavemen.

#9    SkyDive

SkyDive

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

• -=Never more=-Quoth the Raven

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

mind over matter and the power of suggestion!

Posted Image

#10    mandricius

mandricius

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

Maybe in early humans, yawn contagiousness might have helped people communicate their alertness levels to each other, and thus coordinate their sleep schedules.

#11    =Jak=

=Jak=

Telekinetic

• 6,848 posts

• SIMPLICITY

"Avoid hurtful thoughts and bring helpful attitude"

Self sacrifice attitude, kills ego.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Emotion is to understand by others..  if you are sad others can feel it..  happiness, anger.. etc..  yawn also same category..  yawn comes when you are tired..   (mostly tiredness of mind)  And here in this world..  most of them always are tired by their own mind..  yawn comes when you need topic change in your mind..  when a person see somebody yawn..  they too feel like change their topic.. (who don't want a change) no one can live in present..  this Emotion is just faster like Electric motion,, that is a mystery..  

If someone even after see a yawn don't want to yawn..  just snap..  even if the person snap when they yawn..  can avoid others contuining it..  by this you can break the wave..

I may be wrong... because this is my observation..  i can't prove it

G @   C

#12    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

Or the opposite? Baboons yawn, as do hippos. Both as a threat display. Whether this is the same "yawn" I dunno. I reckon it's probably just a sub-conscious thing. Everyone says it, so it ends up as true.

Actually why do we yawn anyways? Is it to wake ourselves up when sleepy?

RKD

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#13    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

A more recent hypothesis is that yawning is used for regulation of body temperature. Another hypothesis is that yawns are caused by the same chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain that affect emotions, mood, appetite and other phenomena. These chemicals include serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid and nitric oxide. As more of these compounds are activated in the brain, the frequency of yawning increases. Conversely, a greater presence in the brain of opiate neurotransmitters such as endorphins, reduces the frequency of yawning. Patients taking the serotonin reuptake inhibitor Paxil (Paroxetine HCl) have been observed yawning abnormally often.

Another theory is that yawning is similar to stretching. Yawning, like stretching, increases blood pressure and heart rate while also flexing many muscles and joints. It is also theorized that yawning helps redistribute an oil-like substance which coats the lungs and aids breathing. Some have observed that if you try to stifle or prevent a yawn by clenching your jaws shut, the yawn is unsatisfying. As such, the stretching of jaw and face muscles seems to be necessary for a good yawn.

It can serve as a warning in displaying large, canine teeth. This phenomenon has been observed among various primates. The threat gesture is a way of maintaining order in the primates' social structure.

Link

Edited by Raptor X7, 20 June 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#14    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

Or the opposite? Baboons yawn, as do hippos. Both as a threat display. Whether this is the same "yawn" I dunno. I reckon it's probably just a sub-conscious thing. Everyone says it, so it ends up as true.

Actually why do we yawn anyways? Is it to wake ourselves up when sleepy?

RKD

i think we yawn to remember ourselfs that we are in need of something, like food, sleep, etc...

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:

#15    Dezmond

Dezmond

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Lol I really had to yawn when reading this topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users