Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Japan gains first whaling victory

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

Delegates at the International Whaling Commission have voted in favour of a resolution endorsing a return to commercial whaling.

The meeting on the Caribbean island of St Kitts backed the declaration by a majority of just one.

This is the outcome that Japan and its pro-whaling allies have been working towards since the meeting began.

But anti-whaling countries have indicated that they will challenge the legality of the ruling.

Step closer

The motion, tabled by St Kitts and Nevis, called for the Whaling Commission to declare its commitment to normalisation - code for moving towards an eventual return to commercial whaling.

Brazil and New Zealand immediately contested the legality of the vote, while Japan declared it a historic day, the first step towards the eventual lifting of the global moratorium which has been in place for 20 years.

Japan will have to build its coalition much further to achieve that - it needs three-quarters of the Whaling Commission to vote in favour - but there is no doubt that commercial hunting of whales is a step closer.
Source
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the hell?!  angry.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:33 PM

WTF? Is the whole f*cking world trying to re-establish the whaling industry. angry.gif  They're almost exinct as it is. thumbdown.gif

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:02 AM

This movement towards whaling is horrifying!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:24 AM

Why do we even need to hunt whales any more? Just let them be, for pete's sake.

Nothing to see here.

#5    Kahrie

Kahrie

*The Strange One*

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

• born to be annoying

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

OMG my country has tried to put a stop to this!!!! why arn't other countries doing the same??? one day there won't be any more whales  crying.gif

mind you its not just Japan, but also Norway, Denmark etc who RELY on the industry

Edited by Kahrie, 19 June 2006 - 01:59 AM.

Posted Image

#6    crouton

crouton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• 'This one goes to eleven....'

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

My stomach really hurts now.  Although Japan has been hunting whales despite the law, calling it 'research', instead of 'hunting'.  They make me sick.   angry.gif

Of course, we all need the whale oil to light our lamps, don't we?  It's just a matter of $$$$.  A whale makes a LOT of sushi.  angry.gif

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

First, Japan has the terrible shark finning industry...Now whaling!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#8    Bogeyman

Bogeyman

Poltergeist

• 2,841 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

What can we do to voice our protest ?
Surely a site like this which has thousands of members can do SOMETHING  crying.gif

I read an article on this by David Attenborough today and he said "if we could hear Whales scream we'd never do it " Personally i'm not so sure ...the older i get the more cruelty i see. angry.gif

I propose that the Site Administers organise a petition that we could get everyone to link to other sites that they're members of...and that we bombard the Embassies of these countries with objections and complaints.....will you help me out here people.....I for one dont want to just sit back and read of this slaughter of Highly intelligent gentle creatures starting again.....if we can do even something small it's a start.....Maybe the internet can be harnessed to produce something good ?.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article1090214.ece

Edited by Bogeyman, 20 June 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#9    Bogeyman

Bogeyman

Poltergeist

• 2,841 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

Okay since my last post i've sent this letter to the Japanese Embassy in Ireland

Dear Mr Ambassador
I wish to register my dismay and disgust at Japans intention to resume the hunting of Humpback Whales for supposedly "Scientific" research.
As an Irish citizen i would like you to know that this is abhorrent to me and will destroy the high standing of the Japanese people in my eyes.
There are only 250,000 Humpback Whales left in existence ,surely it's time to leave them alone.When will we learn not to cause such suffering to other Intelligent and Gentle creatures ?.
I would be grateful if my concerns were conveyed at the highest level possible.
Yours sincerely
xxxx x xxxxxxxx
Ireland

ALL  
HERE IS THE LIST OF JAPANESE EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES WORDWIDE.
Please contact one and voice your concern...please and please link this on to as many sites as you can as i'm going to do

http://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/mofaserv.html

Edited by Bogeyman, 19 June 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#10    Kahrie

Kahrie

*The Strange One*

• 1,136 posts

• born to be annoying

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:17 AM

My stomach really hurts now.  Although Japan has been hunting whales despite the law, calling it 'research', instead of 'hunting'.  They make me sick.   angry.gif

Of course, we all need the whale oil to light our lamps, don't we?  It's just a matter of $$$$.  A whale makes a LOT of sushi.  angry.gif

o.k. after reading that NOW its made me more sick  angry.gif i EAT sushi mind you i don't think there is whale meat in it but still that's gross. we don't use whale oil anymore to light our lamps thats was in the 1800's  rolleyes.gif yes it is about greed and money with them

Posted Image

#11    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• 1,055 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

I heard on the news that one of the reasons the Japanese wanted to resume whaling was because the whales apparently damage fish stocks. hmm.gif
Which I find an hilarious excuse, as I have yet to see a whale dragging nets across the ocean floor.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#12    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

I heard on the news that one of the reasons the Japanese wanted to resume whaling was because the whales apparently damage fish stocks. hmm.gif
Which I find an hilarious excuse, as I have yet to see a whale dragging nets across the ocean floor.

they mean the whales are eating the fish....

the reason whale hunting was banned - along with the fact that they were become very low in numbers - was the way whales were hunted. as it takes 5 minutes (if the whales 'lucky' enough), to actually die, and all the while they are obvisually screaming - though the human ear cannot hear it. if we could, we'd not be hunting whales anymore.

Of course, we all need the whale oil to light our lamps, don't we? It's just a matter of $$$$. A whale makes a LOT of sushi.

along with dog food, meat for various food purposes, perfume.... ect. a tuna fish can make around four sushi. Sushi is just vinegar'ed rice wrapped in sea weed, the fish or meat are just fillings.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#13    Xavie

Xavie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

This is beyond sick! Those poor whales.   crying.gif

#14    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

ect. a tuna fish can make around four sushi.

haha, not the tuna I catch...500 lbs anyone?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#15    Bogeyman

Bogeyman

Poltergeist

• 2,841 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

I cant believe the reaction to this has been so slow !
Has anyone contacted any of their Embassies ?
I guess that people just really dont give a sh**....if everyone that complained just sent an E-mail to one of the Japanese Embassies or Consulates linked above ,it probably wouldn't happen.... angry.gif
I challenge everyone reading this to send an e-mail to your Japanese Embassy,get at least one other person to do it and link the Embassy addresses to another site with an appeal to others to do the same.......COME ONNNNNNNN  angry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users